Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Noob on Unix.
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Noob on Unix. Post 302213318 by pupp on Wednesday 9th of July 2008 07:19:55 PM
Old 07-09-2008
so like a case?

Code:
read choice
case "$choice" in
  "1")
    do something
  ;;
  "2")
    do something
  ;;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Noob learning Unix: backup commands

I am trying to learn some unix here and i have some question that i would like to ask: What's the most basic backup command? What is the command to pause a backup? What is the command to resume backup? Can we backup a job that is running ? How can we pause the backup of the job and than... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lotusx
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am a unix noob

Hello i am new to this forum. I signed up here really to ask one question. I recentaly got a old unix server from my work and i never really understood what unix is or what is does. Dont get me wrong i and very smart with computers as long as its windows, mac, or linux i can use them all but i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alt+f4
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

complete noob

Hi all, This is my first post. I am a complete noobie to the UNIX OS, I have an iMac G5 with the unix shell built in and am interested in learning how to use it to do things useful with it, but have no idea where to start. I have read over the basic commands but they haven't helped me much yet.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avdrummerboy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Noob

Hi all, I am trying to write a shell script that will move files from one directory to another, the only thing is I want to to check loads of different source directory and move the files to loads of different directories. I am totally new to shell scripts but not to UNIX (although I would... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sax
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

complete unix noob (sorry)

This is my first time in this forum so, Hello to all!!! I have been supporting windows based machines for a few years now and I have been writing batch files to do certain tasks for what seems like an age. I've recently started a new job (as it support) and my new colleagues have said,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blastman
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Noob, wat do i need etc

Hey everyone I am currently starting University, (Aus) and i am required to study Unix as apart of my study. We have gone through the basics in orientation but here at home they said i can access my files through the 'ssh' command. All i need to know is: - How will my wireless internet be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skylin3fr3ak
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix noob help with awk?

Hi I'm really new to this so sorry if this is trivial What I'm trying to do is take a file with 3 columns of numbers and cat all the entries of the second and third columns which have the same entry in the first column into a file with the number from the first column in the name. So say 1... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: AnnaLynn
11 Replies

8. Linux

noob help needed

i'm having trouble putting together a program :( any help would be much appreciated! Write a Shell Program to automate the process of collecting assignments from the directories of students of any specified class. The person running the program should be able to pass a parameter to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ace_face
1 Replies

9. SCO

SCO noob please help

hello, sco openserver R5 the following error and it fails to load. init: Command is respawning too rapidily id: vm "/home/bin/stvm.sh" init: Comand..etc id: c02"/etc/start/autostart" its trying to mount car diagnostic program in vmware, the program location is in "start" i think? i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hgibbs8129
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron-Noob

Hi guys! Consider the following PERL script, #!/usr/bin/perl my $userID = `whoami`; open(TMP, ">user.txt"); print TMP "$userID"; close(TMP); Run on the command line it works no problem. Run using crontab it doesn't work. Where do I go to check errors from crontab? I've read things... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jaymoney
25 Replies
FVWM-THEMES-COM(1)						   Fvwm Utility 						FVWM-THEMES-COM(1)

NAME
fvwm-themes-com - fvwm-themes communication center SYNOPSIS
fvwm-themes-com [ --help] [ --version] [ --name name ] [ --message message ] [ --lock-and-get ] [ --get-buffer ] [ --clear-buffer ] [ --buffer-name name ] [ --line lineNbr] DESCRIPTION
This script is not a user script. It is used by Fvwm-Themes for communication between some FvwmScript scripts and some other programs. Basically, you want to start a programs in the background which support the fvwm-themes-com communication protocol (e.g., fvwm-themes-menu- app and fvwm-themes-config with the com-mode option can be used as generic examples), then you can use fvwm-themes-com to ask questions or to give instructions to the background program. The answer are displayed by fvwm-themes-com in the standard out put and can be used by a FvwmScript script via the GetoutPut instruction. The advantage of using this method is that the background program have to do its main job only once (e.g., parsing a lot of informations and storing them in some variables) and a script can have very fast answer from the back- ground program via fvwm-themes-com. OPTIONS
--help - show the help and exit --version - show the version and exit --name name - the name of the communication (e.g., if you start fvwm-themes-menuapp with --com-name pid option you must use menuapp-pid as name to communicate with it). The pipe used for communication are $FVWM_DATADIR/{.tmp-com-in-name,tmp-com-out-name,tmp-com-lock-name}. The "buffer" file is $FVWM_USERDIR/.tmp-com-buffer-name --message - A one line message to be sent to the back program. --lock-and-get - Wait (a certain "time out") for an answer of the message. Then, the answer is displayed on STDOUT. --line n - n must be an integer n > 0. In the case of a lock and get message, fvwm-themes-com will out put only the nth line of the answer of the back program on STDOUT and will copy the complete answer in a "buffer" file. If you use the get-buffer option the nth line of the buffer is out put on STDOUT. --get-buffer - Out put the buffer file on STDOUT. --buffer-name othername - Use an alternative name for the buffer file: $FVWM_USERDIR/.tmp-com-buffer-othername. This is usefull if two pro- grams use the same background program and both use the buffer. --clear-buffer - remove the buffer file. USAGE
Here an example: In the Script FvwmScript-Menus you first start the background program, here fvwm-themes-menuapp, and you set some variables for an easy use of fvwm-themes-com: # found the FvwmScript pid Set $CMD = {perl -e '$t=getppid; print $t . " "'} Set $PID = (GetOutput $CMD 1 -1) # Run fvwm-themes-menuapp until the end of the script Do {Exec fvwm-themes-menuapp --com-mode --com-name=menuapp-}$PID{ &} # to send fvwm-themes-com command Set $SendMsgAndGet = {fvwm-themes-com --name menuapp-}$PID{ --lock-and-get --message=} Set $SendMsg = {fvwm-themes-com --name menuapp-}$PID{ --message=} Set $GetLine = {fvwm-themes-com --name menuapp-}$PID{ --get-buffer --line=} Then in the Script you can ask fvwm-themes-menuapp for some informations: # Get the menu list Set $CMD = $SendMsgAndGet{"menu-items }$MENU{"} Set $ItemsList = (GetOutput $CMD 1 -1) ChangeTitle 11 $ItemsList You can also just send an instruction to fvwm-themes-menuapp: Set $CMD = $SendMsg{"exit"} Do {Exec }$CMD Of course your back program have to support the fvwm-themes-com protocol. See fvwm-themes-menuapp and fvwm-themes-config for examples (com- mode option). See also FvwmScript-Menus and FvwmScript-ThemesCenter. AUTHORS
Olivier Chapuis <olivier.chapuis@free.fr>, 5 May 2000. COPYING
The script is distributed by the same terms as fvwm itself. See GNU General Public License for details. BUGS
Report bugs to fvwm-themes-devel@lists.sourceforge.net 3rd Berkeley Distribution perl v5.6.0 FVWM-THEMES-COM(1)