Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Loop until user input is correct Post 302213124 by radoulov on Wednesday 9th of July 2008 09:03:23 AM
Old 07-09-2008
Code:
printf "Values by the default? type 1 New values? type 2: "
while read options; do
  case "$options" in
    1) printf "Values by default\n"; break ;;
    2) printf "New values\n"; break ;;
    *) printf "Incorrect value option!\nPlease enter the correct value: " ;;
  esac
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read user input from within a wile loop that is being fed from below

hi! i need to do a ksh script that uses a wile loop that is fed form below while read line do some things done < myfile inside the while loop i need to read user input to ask the user what he wants to do, but "read" reads the file, and not the standard input while read line do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting user input from inside a while loop?

I'm new to BASH and i'm trying to create a script which is simply put a large find and replace file. This is what I have so far N=0 while read LINE ; do N=$((N+1)) sed 's/'$2'/'$3'/g' $LINE > .temp echo "Changes to file $N = $LINE" echo 'The following changes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azumandious
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Testing for correct user input from keyboard

What script can I use to catch errors in a shell script if user inputs alpha numeric characters instead on integers from the keyboard? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pauline mugisha
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching user input to a text file loop?

until do read -p "Invalid cars. Try againa" cars1 done Ok i have the above code, im getting users input and if it doesnt match in the file the user has to try again untill its correct But when i run this it gives me an error saying ./Cars.bash: line 43: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gangsta
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

no chance to input passwd when create new user in loop

Hi Dears, I have one script to create new users with information in one plain text file. This script will read all lines in the file and create one users for one line. Sample file: #action;login,full name title,expire date,project +;gmwen,Bruce Wen QA,04/01/2012,BT +;xxdeng,Shown Deng... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crest.boy
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the user input recursively until the user provides valid input

Hi, echo "Enter file name of input file list along with absolute path : " read inputFileList if then for string in `cat inputFileList` do echo $string done else echo " file does not exist" fi From the above code, if the user enters a invalid file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: i.srini89
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop breaks on yes/no user input

I have a shell script, and its pretty much done, I decided to add a loop that ends or continues depending on user input. like "would you like to continue?" and if I hit y or yes it will run the loop again until I hit n or no and breaks out of the loop. To be hones I didn't think I needed to add... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Demon_Jester
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Question: HowTo Exit Script with User Input While Process is Running Mid-Loop?

Hi, I have written a script that allows me to repetitively play a music file $N times, which is specified through user input. However, if I want to exit the script before it has finished looping $N times, if I use CTRL+c, I have to CTRL+c however many times are left in order to complete the loop.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hilltop_yodeler
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to read user input inside a loop

Hi, This query is a part of a much more lengthy script. I wish to look for all the files in a folder named "data" which in this case has two files i.e. plan.war and agent.properties. For all the files found under data I wish to ask the user as to where they wish copy the files to. Below,... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Would like to check user input for letters within a loop

Hi All, #!/bin/bash #Just trying to check if letters are in the user input. Any tips? # I have tried regexp and using 0-9 etc, i cannot get this to work either in just an if statement or while in a loop. echo "Please pick a number" read num if ; then echo "Please enter a number"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvezinat
7 Replies
explain_printf_or_die(3)				     Library Functions Manual					  explain_printf_or_die(3)

NAME
explain_printf_or_die - formatted output conversion and report errors SYNOPSIS
#include <libexplain/printf.h> int explain_printf_or_die(const char *format); int explain_printf_on_error(const char *format); DESCRIPTION
The explain_printf_or_die function is used to call the printf(3) system call. On failure an explanation will be printed to stderr, obtained from the explain_printf(3) function, and then the process terminates by calling exit(EXIT_FAILURE). The explain_printf_on_error function is used to call the printf(3) system call. On failure an explanation will be printed to stderr, obtained from the explain_printf(3) function, but still returns to the caller. format The format, exactly as to be passed to the printf(3) system call. RETURN VALUE
The explain_printf_or_die function only returns on success, see printf(3) for more information. On failure, prints an explanation and exits, it does not return. The explain_printf_on_error function always returns the value return by the wrapped printf(3) system call. EXAMPLE
The explain_printf_or_die function is intended to be used in a fashion similar to the following example: int result = explain_printf_or_die(format); SEE ALSO
printf(3) formatted output conversion explain_printf(3) explain printf(3) errors exit(2) terminate the calling process COPYRIGHT
libexplain version 0.52 Copyright (C) 2010 Peter Miller explain_printf_or_die(3)