Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Increment variable stored in a file Post 302212973 by solitare123 on Wednesday 9th of July 2008 12:50:18 AM
Old 07-09-2008
Increment variable stored in a file

Hi,

I want to write a perl script, which will increment number stored in file. I want to do this without any file handles. I think we have to use some UNIX commands. I am not sure how to do this with file handles.

Thanks,

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

increment a Variable

hi, i want to increment a Variable but it doesnt work. here my codé COUNT=1 COUNT= 'expr $COUNT + 1' i've tried it in the prompt but it print me: expr: syntaxerror What does I make wrong? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cengiz
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable?

Hi all, I have a variable say var1 (output from somewhere, which I can't change)which store something like this: echo $var1 name=fred age=25 address="123 abc" password=pass1234 how can I make the variable $name, $age, $address and $password contain the info? I mean do this in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment of a variable

Hi All, I have a variable n that stores a number. Eg. echo $n comes out to be 120. I need to print 121 using echo command on n. Please advice. Thanks in advance !! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: learning_skills
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use the filehandle stored in a variable without knowing its file association

how to use the filehandle stored in a variable without knowing its file association i.e. the filename code my $logFH = $connObj->get('logFH'); infoPrint("Variable is of type IO \n") if(UNIVERSAL::isa($logFH, 'IO')); infoPrint("$logFH\n"); output == INFO :: Variable is of type... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable not found error for a variable which is returned from stored procedure

can anyone please help me with this: i have written a shell script and a stored procedure which has one OUT parameter. now i want to use that out parameter as an input to the unix script but i am getting an error as variable not found. below are the unix scripts and stored procedure... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swap21783
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to increment a string variable?

Hi All, I am new to this forum and a novice at shell script. I am trying to write a script to determine each of the NIC configured on a linux system and its speed and Duplex. I came up with the following piece of code: echo `ifconfig -a | grep eth > /home/a/nic.txt` i=`awk -F, '{print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pravin883
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Applying sed against a file from a list of values stored in a variable

Hi Forum. I have the following challenge at work that I need to write a script for. I have a file abc.txt with the following contents: 4560123456 4570987654 4580654321 I want to be able to search/replace in abc.txt - the first 4 characters anything starting with 4560 to 7777; 4570... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to lookup stored variable in file and print matching line

The bash bash below extracts the oldest folder from a directory and stores it in filename That result will match a line in bold in input. In the matching line there is an_xxx digit in italics that (once the leading zero is removed) will match a line in link. That is the lint to print in output.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
IO::Poll(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					     IO::Poll(3pm)

NAME
IO::Poll - Object interface to system poll call SYNOPSIS
use IO::Poll qw(POLLRDNORM POLLWRNORM POLLIN POLLHUP); $poll = IO::Poll->new(); $poll->mask($input_handle => POLLIN); $poll->mask($output_handle => POLLOUT); $poll->poll($timeout); $ev = $poll->events($input); DESCRIPTION
"IO::Poll" is a simple interface to the system level poll routine. METHODS
mask ( IO [, EVENT_MASK ] ) If EVENT_MASK is given, then, if EVENT_MASK is non-zero, IO is added to the list of file descriptors and the next call to poll will check for any event specified in EVENT_MASK. If EVENT_MASK is zero then IO will be removed from the list of file descriptors. If EVENT_MASK is not given then the return value will be the current event mask value for IO. poll ( [ TIMEOUT ] ) Call the system level poll routine. If TIMEOUT is not specified then the call will block. Returns the number of handles which had events happen, or -1 on error. events ( IO ) Returns the event mask which represents the events that happened on IO during the last call to "poll". remove ( IO ) Remove IO from the list of file descriptors for the next poll. handles( [ EVENT_MASK ] ) Returns a list of handles. If EVENT_MASK is not given then a list of all handles known will be returned. If EVENT_MASK is given then a list of handles will be returned which had one of the events specified by EVENT_MASK happen during the last call ti "poll" SEE ALSO
poll(2), IO::Handle, IO::Select AUTHOR
Graham Barr. Currently maintained by the Perl Porters. Please report all bugs to <perlbug@perl.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-8 Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com>. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 IO::Poll(3pm)