Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Need a UNIX terminal to practice... please help!!! Post 302212712 by vbe on Tuesday 8th of July 2008 07:19:18 AM
Old 07-08-2008
There are plenty of live CD out there you can use for a start, do a search in unix.com, I noticed its not the first time this has been asked here...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connecting to unix through hyper terminal - as a dumb terminal

I just changed from windows NT to XP and I am no longer able to connect to my unix system. I used to use hyper terminal -- which acts as dumb terminal to my main frame unix system. I think one of the options used to be "direct to comX". This option isn't listed now. I use a serial port and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: michelle
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Practice Website

Hi , If somebody knows, Please let me know where can I practice Unix commands and Shell scripts Online. I know www.cyberspace.org. But its very slow. Is there some website which is very fast. Even I have heard there are some websites where you pay just 2-3 dollors a month and connection is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satgur
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

practice tests- Unix Korn Shell Scripting

Hi, I am about to take certification for "Unix Korn Shell Scripting", which is conducted by brain bench. ( http://www.brainbench.com/xml/bb/common/testcenter/taketest.xml?testId=46) The test consists of 40 single and multiple choice questions that must be answered in 60 minutes. The pass mark... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eswasas
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to practice unix in online without unix software

hi, im new to unix.i dont have unix software in my system. Is there any website is there to practice unix in online can u please any one help me...... thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowridoc
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To practice Unix at home

Hi Everyone, Gud Afternoon. Myself Amol working on unix (vi editor ). I want to practice shell scripts and vi editor command at home. So can anyone guide me, if there is any standalone application or some software like vi editor which can be installed at my home PC and i can... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amol_Dicholkar
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run UNIX commands for practice in Windows 2000 OS?

How to run UNIX commands for practice in Windows 2000 OS? If you suggest to install Cygwin, please let me know the procedure to install, or else I feel happy if you suggest any stand alone app for running UNIX commands..:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Srikanthk
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Practice using Unix and lack of knowledge

So I have a Networking class at my university that involves learning the basic commands of unix (i.e. Chmod, cat, cp, ls, mv, rm, mkdir, rmdir, pwd, etc) and my professor had us download and install Solaris and PuTTY as a means of...I suppose practicing using/executing commands. However due to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bo74
7 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to practice unix commands on windows 7 machine

Hello, I am pretty new to UNIX and would like to know how i can run unix commands on a windows 7 machine. Basically, I want to practice running commands, created bash/awk/etc. scripts. I've read some things about cygwin, but it doesn't sound like it's exactly what I'm looking for. Any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tester213
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Practice UNIX on web Browser?

To practice SQL, there is a very good website called www.sqlfiddle.com no need of installing any external software, it can do almost anything in PL/SQL and Oracle. In a similar manner, is there a good website where i can practice Unix commands on a broswer? I mean, it should be able to execute... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Manjunath B
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want to practice UNIX in real time servers

I have read enough books and know about all the basic commands in unix. I have practiced the same in my home. Now i want to real time work like scheduling cron in a real time server, creating alerts, application status check using unix etc.., I want to have a real time server acc to do this kind... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gk1227
3 Replies
nisdefaults(1)							   User Commands						    nisdefaults(1)

NAME
nisdefaults - display NIS+ default values SYNOPSIS
nisdefaults [-adghprstv] DESCRIPTION
The nisdefaults utility prints the default values that are returned by calls to the NIS+ local name functions (see nis_local_names(3NSL)). With no options specified, all defaults will be printed in a verbose format. With options, only that option is displayed in a terse form suitable for shell scripts. See the example below. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a Print all defaults in a terse format. -d Print the default domain name. -g Print the default group name. -h Print the default host name. -p Print the default principal name. -r Print the default access rights with which new objects will be created. -s Print the default directory search path. -t Print the default time to live value. -v Print the defaults in a verbose format. This prepends an identifying string to the output. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Printing NIS+ defaults The following prints the NIS+ defaults for a root process on machine example in the foo.bar. domain: example# nisdefaults Principal Name : example.foo.bar. Domain Name : foo.bar. Host Name : example.foo.bar. Group Name : Access Rights : ----rmcdr---r--- Time to live : 12:00:00 Search Path : foo.bar. Example 2: Setting a variable in the shell script This example sets a variable in a shell script to the default domain: DOMAIN=`nisdefaults -d` Example 3: Printing the default time to live in verbose format This example prints out the default time to live in a verbose format: example% nisdefaults -tv Time to live : 12:00:00 Example 4: Printing the time to live in terse format This example prints out the time to live in the terse format: example% nisdefaults -t 43200 ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
Several environment variables affect the defaults associated with a process. NIS_DEFAULTS This variable contains a defaults string that will override the NIS+ standard defaults. The defaults string is a series of tokens separated by colons. These tokens represent the default values to be used for the generic object properties. All of the legal tokens are described below. ttl=time This token sets the default time to live for objects that are created. The value time is specified in the for- mat as defined by the nischttl(1) command. The default value is 12 hours. owner=ownername This token specifies that the NIS+ principal ownername should own created objects. The default for this value is the principal who is executing the command. group=groupname This token specifies that the group groupname should be the group owner for created objects. The default is NULL. access=rights This token specifies the set of access rights that are to be granted for created objects. The value rights is specified in the format as defined by the nischmod(1) command. The default value is: ----rmcdr---r---. NIS_GROUP This variable contains the name of the local NIS+ group. If the name is not fully qualified, the default domain will be appended to it. NIS_PATH This variable overrides the default NIS+ directory search path. It contains an ordered list of directories sepa- rated by ':' (colon) characters. The '$' (dollar sign) character is treated specially. Directory names that end in '$' have the default domain appended to them, and a '$' by itself is replaced by the list of directories between the default domain and the global root that are at least two levels deep. The default NIS+ directory search path is '$'. Refer to the Name Expansion subsection in nis+(1) for more details. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nischmod(1), nischttl(1), nis+(1), nis_local_names(3NSL), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 10 Dec 2001 nisdefaults(1)