Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Searching a specific line in a large file Post 302212334 by zaxxon on Monday 7th of July 2008 07:39:42 AM
Old 07-07-2008
Code:
tail -f thatlogfile | grep "text text text" > filteredlog
# or to see it on the screen and write it parallel into a file
tail -f thatlogfile | grep "text text text" | tee filteredlog

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for data on a specific line numbers

Hi, I have a file on windows and have some unix utilitties available on windows. This file is very large and have over 5 million record. I am not able to open this file in Window Editor. I am trying to see bad data on a specific lines. I just have line numbers that has bad data. I need to see the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

viewing and searching large file

I need to search a very large file. 13g in size. i am looking for a record that has a value in the byte 4200 . how can i view the file or how can i search for value in the byte 4200? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Wrightman
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with selecting specific lines in a large file

Hello, I need to select the 3 lines above as well as below a search string, including the search string. I have been trying various combinations using sed command without any success. Can anuone help please. Thanking (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tansha
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character(s) very large file

I'm trying to count the number of 2 specific characters in a very large file. I'd like to avoid using gsub because its taking too long. I was thinking something like: awk '-F' { t += NF - 1 } END {print t}' infile > outfile which isn't working Any ideas would be great. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove a specific line in a LARGE file

Hi guys, i have a really big file, and i want to remove a specific line. sed -i '5d' fileThis doesn't really work, it takes a lot of time... The whole script is supposed to remove every word containing less than 5 characters and currently looks like this: #!/bin/bash line="1"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blubbiblubbkekz
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for a specific string in a file

Hi I am trying to search for a certain set of patterns within a file, and then perform other commands based on output. testfile contents: password requisite pam_cracklib.so lcredit=-1 ucredit=-1 ocredit=-1 script: D="dcredit=-1" if then echo $D exists else echo $D doesnt... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bludhemn
8 Replies

7. Red Hat

Moving of file content to another two files after searching with specific pattern

Hello, Please help me with this!! Thanks in advance!! I have a file named file.gc with the content: 1-- Mon Sep 10 08:53:09 CDT 2012 2revoke connect from FR2261; 3delete from mkt_allow where grantee = 'FR2261'; 4grant connect to FR2261 with '******'; 5alter user FR2261 comment... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a large file for short tandem repeats

Hello, I am searching large (~25gb) DNA sequence data in fasta short read format: >ReadName ACGTACGTACGT... for short tandem repeats, meaning instances of any 2-6 character based run that are repeated in tandem a number of times given as an input variable. Seems like a reasonably simple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ljk
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash : Checking Large file for specific lines

Morning .. I have a file with approximately 1000 lines. I want to check that the file contains, for example, 100 lines. Something like whats given below is ugly. And even if I create a function I have to call it 100 times. I may need to look through multiple files at times. Is there a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
4 Replies
XZGREP(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZGREP(1)

NAME
xzgrep - search compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
xzgrep [grep_options] [-e] pattern file... xzegrep ... xzfgrep ... lzgrep ... lzegrep ... lzfgrep ... DESCRIPTION
xzgrep invokes grep(1) on files which may be either uncompressed or compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), or lzop(1). All options specified are passed directly to grep(1). If no file is specified, then standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep(1). When reading from standard input, gzip(1), bzip2(1), and lzop(1) compressed files are not supported. If xzgrep is invoked as xzegrep or xzfgrep then egrep(1) or fgrep(1) is used instead of grep(1). The same applies to names lzgrep, lze- grep, and lzfgrep, which are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. ENVIRONMENT
GREP If the GREP environment variable is set, xzgrep uses it instead of grep(1), egrep(1), or fgrep(1). SEE ALSO
grep(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), lzop(1), zgrep(1) Tukaani 2011-03-19 XZGREP(1)