Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting split based on the number of characters Post 302212033 by Vi-Curious on Saturday 5th of July 2008 10:58:48 PM
Old 07-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_58
Thank you...

What about if i want to perform the split in perl always using 'size' as a limit
Here is a small sample to give you an idea.

Code:

#!/usr/bin/perl
$teststring = "1234567890abcdefghij0987654321ABCDEFGHIJlmnop";
@chunks = split /(.{10})/, $teststring;
foreach (@chunks) {
  printf "%s\n", $_;
}

In this case, I'm using 10 characters as the size of the pieces to extract. The pattern used with split is for the delimiter/separator. Here, we say match any 10 characters as the separator. If it matches every 10 characters as a separator, then it is returning null strings for the split fields. Normally, the separator is not returned but we want the separator because these will be the actual values of interest. The parentheses that are included in the pattern tell perl to also return the separators.

If you execute this, you get the following:
Hostname:> testscript3.sh

abcdefghij

ABCDEFGHIJ
lmnop
Hostname:>

This is because you have null strings interspersed with the separators. There is no null string before the last 5-character substring because we did not have a full 10 characters to match.

I'll leave it for you as an exercise to remove the null strings or otherwise decide how you will skip/ignore them. How exactly you end up incorporating this into your code will also be dependent on your data file. From your description, I could not tell if records spanned lines or not.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

split a string into 3 characters

Hi, I have a requirement like this. String=abcdefghijkl I need to split this string into a substrign each 3 characters and write output into a file. Output: abc def ghi jkl Can any one please help me how can i acheive this Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split File Based on Line Number Pattern

Hello all. Sorry, I know this question is similar to many others, but I just can seem to put together exactly what I need. My file is tab delimitted and contains approximately 1 million rows. I would like to send lines 1,4,& 7 to a file. Lines 2, 5, & 8 to a second file. Lines 3, 6, & 9 to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankster
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split single file into multiple files based on the number in the column

Dear All, I would like to split a file of the following format into multiple files based on the number in the 6th column (numbers 1, 2, 3...): ATOM 1 N GLY A 1 -3.198 27.537 -5.958 1.00 0.00 N ATOM 2 CA GLY A 1 -2.199 28.399 -6.617 1.00 0.00 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomasl
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to split files based on number of lines

I am getting a few gzip files into a folder by doing ftp to another server. Once I get them I move them to another location .But before that I need to make sure each gzip is not more than 5000 lines and split it up . The files I get are anywhere from 500 lines to 10000 lines in them and is in gzip... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to split the files based on the number of lines in it

Hello Friends, Can anyone help me for the below requirement. I am having a file called Input.txt. My requirement is first check the count that is wc -l input.txt If the result of the wc -l Input.txt is less than 10 then don't split the Input.txt file. Where as if Input.txt >= 10 the split... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaya kumar
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a big file into multiple files based on first four characters

I have a requirement to split a huge file to smaller text files based on first four characters which look like ABCD 1234 DFGH RREX : : : : : 0000 Each of these records are OF EQUAL bytes with a different internal layout based on the above first digit identifier.. Any help to start... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: etldev
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to separate one line to mutiple line based on certain number of characters?

hi Gurus, I need separate a file which is one huge line to multiple lines based on certain number of charactors. for example: abcdefghi high abaddffdd I want to separate the line to multiple lines for every 4 charactors. the result should be abcd efgh i hi gh a badd ffdd Thanks in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split a file based on pattern line number?

Hi i have requirement like below M <form_name> sdasadasdMklkM D ...... D ..... M form_name> sdasadasdMklkM D ...... D ..... D ...... D ..... M form_name> sdasadasdMklkM D ...... M form_name> sdasadasdMklkM i want split file based on line number by finding... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar v
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split file based on number of blank lines

Hello All , I have a file which needs to split based on the blank lines Name ABC Address London Age 32 (4 blank new line) Name DEF Address London Age 30 (4 blank new line) Name DEF Address London (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split File based on number of rows

Hi I have a requirement, where i will receive multiple files in a folder (say: /fol1/fol2/). There will be at least 14 to 16 files. The size of the files will different, some may be 80GB or 90GB, some may be less than 5 GB (and the size of the files are very unpredictable). But the names of the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpk_ds
10 Replies
split(1T)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 split(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
split - Split a string into a proper Tcl list SYNOPSIS
split string ?splitChars? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Returns a list created by splitting string at each character that is in the splitChars argument. Each element of the result list will con- sist of the characters from string that lie between instances of the characters in splitChars. Empty list elements will be generated if string contains adjacent characters in splitChars, or if the first or last character of string is in splitChars. If splitChars is an empty string then each character of string becomes a separate element of the result list. SplitChars defaults to the standard white-space char- acters. EXAMPLES
Divide up a USENET group name into its hierarchical components: split "comp.lang.tcl.announce" . => comp lang tcl announce See how the split command splits on every character in splitChars, which can result in information loss if you are not careful: split "alpha beta gamma" "temp" => al {ha b} {} {a ga} {} a Extract the list words from a string that is not a well-formed list: split "Example with {unbalanced brace character" => Example with {unbalanced brace character Split a string into its constituent characters split "Hello world" {} => H e l l o { } w o r l d PARSING RECORD-ORIENTED FILES Parse a Unix /etc/passwd file, which consists of one entry per line, with each line consisting of a colon-separated list of fields: ## Read the file set fid [open /etc/passwd] set content [read $fid] close $fid ## Split into records on newlines set records [split $content " "] ## Iterate over the records foreach rec $records { ## Split into fields on colons set fields [split $rec ":"] ## Assign fields to variables and print some out... lassign $fields userName password uid grp longName homeDir shell puts "$longName uses [file tail $shell] for a login shell" } SEE ALSO
join(1T), list(1T), string(1T) KEYWORDS
list, split, string ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl split(1T)