Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to assign the first day of the next month Post 302211955 by rosalinda on Saturday 5th of July 2008 11:30:18 AM
Old 07-05-2008
Java How can i assign date to next month

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalinda
Hi everybody,
I am very new in shell and this is my first post Smilie.
i am trying to write a script in which i want to decide some begin dates. this dates will be used by another shell scripts.
i would like to assign:
1- a variable which is a = sysdate
2- another variable b = the first day of the next month from sysdate

i don't want the time to be exactly the same as sysdate, i would like to have time at midnight. is it possible to assign the time as i want also?

i want to have time in both, like sysdate is: 20080705 05:02:04,
and the first day of next month to be: 20080801 00:00:05

I appreciate a lot your kind help.
Regards.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write a shell script to find whether the first day of the month is a working day

Hi , I am relatively new to unix... Can u pls help me out to find out if the first day of the month is a working day ie from (Monday to Friday)...using Date and If clause in Korn shell.. This is very urgent. Thanks for ur help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

last day of the month

can any one please tell me how can I get the last day of the month Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aya_r
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

The last day of the last month

I am a beginner in unix. Can anyone tell me how to get the last day of the last month in 'yyyymmdd' format? eg. today is 20050909, I want to get 20050831. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily79
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

determine last day of the month

In a ksh script how do I determine if I am on the last day fo the month ? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanton
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find previous month last day minus one day timestamp

Hi All, I need to find the previous month last day minus one day, using shell script. Can you guys help me to do this. My Requirment is as below: Input for me will be 2000909(YYYYMM) I need the previous months last day minus 1 day timestamp. That is i need 2000908 months last day minus ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Code creates day 32 instead of 1st day of next month.

I am using the code below modified from a post I saw here regarding having the script write out future dates. The problem is that instead of making 8/1 it makes 7/32! Please help! yy=`date +%Y` mm=`date +%m` dd=`date +%d` echo "Today is : $yy $mm $dd" #!/usr/bin/ksh date '+%m... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: libertyforall
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i get the first day of the pre month

how can i get the first day of the pre month in Bash (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qjlongs
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to counting a specific word in a logfile on each day of this month, last month etc

Hello All, I am trying to come up with a shell script to count a specific word in a logfile on each day of this month, last month and the month before. I need to produce this report and email it to customer. Any ideas would be appreciated! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pnara2
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Julian day to dates in YEAR-MONTH-DAY

hello, I have many files called day001, day002, day003 and I want to rename them by day20070101, day20070102, etc. I need to do it for several years and leap years as well. What is the best way to do it ? Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ggg
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I get first day of a particular month?

Hi, I am new to shell scripting and I have a requirement of getting first day of specific month. eg i need 1st day of oct 2014 October 2014 S M Tu W Th F S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: simsim90
4 Replies
calendar(1)						      General Commands Manual						       calendar(1)

Name
       calendar - calendar reminder service

Syntax
       calendar [-]

Description
       The  command  consults the file `calendar' in the current directory and prints out lines that contain today's or tomorrow's date.  The com-
       mand recognizes most month-day dates, such as Dec. 7, december 7, 12/7, but it does not recognize dates formatted in the following ways:  7
       December  or  7/12.  If you give the month as * with a date, such as, * 1, that day in any month will do.  On weekends, specifying tomorrow
       extends through Monday.

When an argument is present, the command searches through a user's calendar file in his login directory and sends him any positive  results
       by Normally this is done daily under control of

The  calendar  file  is	first  run  through  the  C  preprocessor, to include any other calendar files specified with the #include syntax.
       Included calendars are shared by all users, and are maintained and documented by the local administration.

Options
       -    Functions for every user who has a calendar file in his login directory.

Restrictions
       The extended idea of tomorrow does not account for holidays.

Files
       calendar
       /usr/lib/calendar to figure out today's and tomorrow's dates
       /etc/passwd
       /tmp/cal*
       /lib/cpp, egrep, sed, mail as subprocesses

See Also
       at(1), cron(8), mail(1)

calendar(1)