Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers deleting another user's files Post 302211826 by fabtagon on Friday 4th of July 2008 03:50:05 PM
Old 07-04-2008
Because whether or not you are allowed to delete a file depends on the rights (namely write) on the directory containing the file, not on the rights on the file itself. You can imagine a directory to be a file containing entries of the files in it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting root files from another user

I want to delete some files and directories owned by root from another different user in HP-UX 10.20. The list of files looks like: (user test) bash-2.03$ ls -alrt total 20 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: choo
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a user session

I logged on yesterday and ran something that made my ID hang. I X'd out of the session and then logged on again and my ID from the original session is still there. I checked again this morning and the ID is still there (I checked using the WHO command). How can I kill that first session using... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrubaker
7 Replies

3. Solaris

Deleting files

OK, Easy question probably, I have a directory that is full of like 1000 files. I want to get rid of files more than 5 days old. Is there an easy way to do this? there are like 800 files that fit into this category so doing it manually would be a pain. Any help is appreciated! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

df -k and deleting files

hi everybody, urgently need solutioin aftet i execute the command df -k, i get to see al the memory status blah blah if some file system has 95% full then what should i do and any help on how and what to do ? help really appriciated. cheers (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayr111
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help comparing two files and deleting some things in those files!

So I have two files: File1 pictures.txt 1.1 1.3 dance.txt 1.2 1.4 treehouse.txt 1.3 1.5 File2 pictures.txt 1.5 ref2313 1.4 ref2345 1.3 ref5432 1.2 ref4244 dance.txt 1.6 ref2342 1.5 ref2352 1.4 ref0695 1.3 ref5738 1.2 ref4948 1.1 treehouse.txt 1.6 ref8573 1.5 ref3284 1.4 ref5838... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
24 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX system.... deleting files in remote directory after retrieving files

Hi Friends, I am new to this , I am working on AIX system and my scenario is to retrive the files from remote system and remove the files from the remote system after retreving files. I can able to retrieve the files but Can't remove files in remote system. Please check my code and help me out... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayparakala
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting files

Hi all, I have developed a shell script to copy the files from source to destination and simultaneously to delete the copied files in source. I can copy the files but the files cannot be deleted in source side. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script deleting my files, and editing files in subdirectories question

#!/bin/bash # name=$1 type=$2 number=1 for file in ./** do if then filenumber=00$number elif then filenumber=0$number fi tempname="$name""$filenumber"."$type" if (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGreatGizmo
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting files

Hi I have an AIX server. I'm planning to use the below script to remove 60 days older files. find /path/ -mtime +60 -exec rm -f {} \; I just want to make sure it will only remove the files. I don't want the directories to be removed. If in case it will delete the directories... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Deleting NIS user Solaris 8

ypcat passwd | grep "user" - shows the user userdel "user" says "user does not exist" What am I doing wrong? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
1 Replies
NWGRANT(8)							      nwgrant								NWGRANT(8)

NAME
nwgrant - Add Trustee Rights to a directory SYNOPSIS
nwgrant [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] [ -o object name ] [ -t type ] [ -r rights ] file/directory DESCRIPTION
nwgrant adds the specified bindery object with the corresponding trustee rights to the directory. nwgrant looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwgrant prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. -o object name The name of the object to be added as trustee. -t object type The type of the object. Object type must be specified as a decimal value. Common values are 1 for user objects, 2 for group objects and 3 for print queues. Other values are allowed, but are usually used for specialized applications. If you do not specify object type, object name is taken as NDS name. -r rights You must tell nwgrant which rights it should grant to the bindery object. The new rights for the object is specified by rights, which can be either a hexadecimal number representing the sum of all the individual rights to be granted or a string containing characters representing each right. If rights are represented in string format then the string must be bounded with square brackets. Characters within the brackets may be in any order and in either case. Spaces are allowed between the brackets - in which case the entire string should be quoted. Hexadecimal and character values for the rights are shown in this table: 00 = no access 01 = read access = R 02 = write access = W 08 = create access = C 10 = delete access = E 20 = ownership access = A 40 = search access = F 80 = modify access = M 100 = supervisory access = S for a possible total of "1fb" or "[SRWCEMFA]" for all rights. file/directory You must specify the directory to which to add the object as trustee. This has to be done in fully qualified NetWare notation. Example: nwgrant -S NWSERVER -o linus -t 1 -r fb 'data:homelinus' With this example, user linus is given all rights except supervisory to his home directory on the data volume. This example assumes the existence of the file $HOME/.nwclient. nwgrant -o linus -t 1 -r fb /home/linus/ncpfs/data/home/linus With this example, user linus is given all rights except supervisory to his home directory on the data volume. This example assumes that NWSERVER is already mounted on /home/linus/ncpfs mountpoint. AUTHORS
nwgrant was written by Volker Lendecke with the corresponding NetWare utility in mind. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contribu- tors. nwgrant 5/19/2000 NWGRANT(8)