Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: EOF creating problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting EOF creating problem Post 302211762 by chella on Friday 4th of July 2008 08:07:27 AM
Old 07-04-2008
Hi,

Since you have two labels(here document), both named as EOF it will create some problem. Try the below,

Code:
cat > File1.sh <<EOA

set feedback off
set serveroutput on

cat > File2.sh <<EOF
contents of second file
EOF
Contents of First file

EOA

I don't really understand your actual scenario. I hope the above may help.

Regards,
Chella

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

problem with expect eof

hi guys i have such simple script, which i'm executing on AIX 5.3 #!/usr/local/bin/expect spawn passwd exptest set password 123 expect "*password:*" send "$password\r" expect "*password again:*" send "$password\r" expect eof the output is following: spawn passwd exptest sh:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zoom
4 Replies

2. Linux

Problem with creating big files

Hi... I have a very wired problem with my redhat4 update 4 server... Every time i create a file bigger then my physical memory the server kills the process\session that creates the file, and in the "messages" file i see this error: "Oct 21 15:22:22 optidev kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eliraza6
6 Replies

3. Solaris

problem in creating flash archive

Dear all I am in a problem. I have created a master server on which I have install a Solaris 10 OS as well as Oracle 10g with some additional solaris packages. Now I want to create a flash archive of this server and install that flash archive on another server, so that the new server will have... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem when creating VMHost with dd

Hi, I have to create a VMhost from a server an I am doing this by using two Knoppix live CD'R's and conencting the VMhost machine to the server via switch. On in the original server and one in the VM HOST and I copy the drive over from the original server using the dd comand. When determing how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

confused with << EOF EOF

Hi friends , I am confused with << EOF EOF Most of the cases I found sqlplus $db_conn_str << EOF some sql staments EOF another exapmle is #!/bin/sh echo -n 'what is the value? ' read value sed 's/XXX/'$value'/' <<EOF The value is XXX EOF (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: imipsita.rath
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

EOF problem

hi i am trying to connect to database by two method one is sqlplus fss_blf/fss_blf@schema1 >select * from schema1_ta_example exit above method succesfffuly connect it to dabase but the problem comes when i try to enter this code into mine shell script by using EOF character it is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

EOF problem with Cron Job?

Hey guys... first post here... I have set up the following cron to create daily backups for me and rotate them weekly: date=`date +%d`; tar -zcvf /home/mysite/backups/backup_dev_$date.tgz /home/mysite/public_html/dev/app --exclude=/home/mysite/public_html/dev/app/tmp However, I keep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crazy Serb
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with array and creating directories

I have an interesting requirement. I have declaried an array like :- arr=`find . ! -name "." | xargs -I {} echo {} | cut -c 2-${#}` Then i will try to access the array elements like :- i=0 for i in ${arr}; do Here comes the confusions, the array elements are basically dir and files stored... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem in creating CSV file

Hi guys, I am not experienced with Unix, so please dont mind if the question seem to be irrelevant. I have written a simple script, that connects DB & fetches few records from a table. I wanted to get those details as file in .CSV format via mail. -I stored the query o/p in a file. -I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitburnwal88
6 Replies

10. Programming

Problem creating a makefile

hello, I'm trying to create a makefile to run multiple c files. I am able to run one c file only with the code I have when I tried to run 2 or more c files I'm not able. here is my code # $Source: /home/hectormasencio/make/Makefile,v $ # $Date: 2012/11/27 11:35:30 $ CC= gcc OBJS= temp.o... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hector M.
3 Replies
CAT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAT(1)

NAME
cat -- concatenate and print files SYNOPSIS
cat [-benstuv] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cat utility reads files sequentially, writing them to the standard output. The file operands are processed in command-line order. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, cat reads from the standard input. If file is a UNIX domain socket, cat connects to it and then reads it until EOF. This complements the UNIX domain binding capability available in inetd(8). The options are as follows: -b Number the non-blank output lines, starting at 1. -e Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display a dollar sign ('$') at the end of each line. -n Number the output lines, starting at 1. -s Squeeze multiple adjacent empty lines, causing the output to be single spaced. -t Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display tab characters as '^I'. -u Disable output buffering. -v Display non-printing characters so they are visible. Control characters print as '^X' for control-X; the delete character (octal 0177) prints as '^?'. Non-ASCII characters (with the high bit set) are printed as 'M-' (for meta) followed by the character for the low 7 bits. EXIT STATUS
The cat utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The command: cat file1 will print the contents of file1 to the standard output. The command: cat file1 file2 > file3 will sequentially print the contents of file1 and file2 to the file file3, truncating file3 if it already exists. See the manual page for your shell (i.e., sh(1)) for more information on redirection. The command: cat file1 - file2 - file3 will print the contents of file1, print data it receives from the standard input until it receives an EOF ('^D') character, print the con- tents of file2, read and output contents of the standard input again, then finally output the contents of file3. Note that if the standard input referred to a file, the second dash on the command-line would have no effect, since the entire contents of the file would have already been read and printed by cat when it encountered the first '-' operand. SEE ALSO
head(1), more(1), pr(1), sh(1), tail(1), vis(1), zcat(1), setbuf(3) Rob Pike, "UNIX Style, or cat -v Considered Harmful", USENIX Summer Conference Proceedings, 1983. STANDARDS
The cat utility is compliant with the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. The flags [-benstv] are extensions to the specification. HISTORY
A cat utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. Dennis Ritchie designed and wrote the first man page. It appears to have been cat(1). BUGS
Because of the shell language mechanism used to perform output redirection, the command ``cat file1 file2 > file1'' will cause the original data in file1 to be destroyed! The cat utility does not recognize multibyte characters when the -t or -v option is in effect. BSD
March 21, 2004 BSD