Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with AWK and RANDOM please Post 302211493 by Kweekwom on Thursday 3rd of July 2008 02:13:20 PM
Old 07-03-2008
Help with AWK and RANDOM please

Hi, here's what I'm trying to do,

I used awk to separate numbers from a file into a list like this:

Now I need to randomly select one of this numbers, and make it a variable.

Any ideas on how to do this??

Thank you!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can i isolate the random sequence of numbers using awk?

as you can see there is a delimiter after c8 "::". Awk sees the rest as fields because it doesn't recognize spaces and tabs as delimiters. So i am basically looking to isolate 20030003ba13f6cc. Can anyone help? c8::20030003ba13f6cc disk connected configured unknown (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcon1
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

doing rot13 on a field with a random number with awk

i have a several million line file like this: M:charitygeneral:water:fairbanks:charitygeneral field 2 and field 5 are the same i want to read the file and rot13 or any caesar cipher field 2 and replace the with a random number 1 - 9 anyone know how to do this? something slightly... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bathtub
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with ksh/awk/sed script, random # of fields

Hello all, I'm working on an attendance callout script for a school district. I need to change our current layout for the vendor. Currently the data is in the form of: studentid,period,building, Heres a sample of some made up records: 500,1,30, 500,2,30, 500,3,30, 500,6,30,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: axo959
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

choose random text between constant string.. using awk?

Hallo I have maybe a little bit advanced request.... I need to choose one random part betwen %.... so i have this.. % text1 text1 text1 text1 text1 text1 text1 text1 text1 % text2 text2 text2 text2 text2 % text3 text3 text3 tetx3 % this choose text between % awk ' /%/... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandwich
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random word generation with AWK

Hi - I have a word GTTCAGAGTTCTACAGTCCGACGAT I need to extract all the possible "chunks" of 7 or above letter "words" from this. SO, my out put should be GTTCAGA TTCAGAG TCAGAGT CAGAGTTCT TCCGACGAT CAGTCCGACG etc. How can I do that with awk or any other language? I have no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: polsum
2 Replies

6. Ubuntu

expect script for random password and random commands

Hi I am new to expect. Please if any one can help on my issue its really appreciable. here is my issue: I want expect script for random passwords and random commands generation. please can anyone help me? Many Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

unique random numbers awk

Hi, I have a small piece of awk code (see below) that generates random numbers. gawk -F"," 'BEGIN { srand(); for (i = 1; i <= 30; i++) printf("%s AM329_%04d\n",$0,int(36 * rand())+1) }' OFS=, AM329_hole_names.csv The code works fine and generates alphanumeric numbers like AM329_0001,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theflamingmoe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to generate a file with random data. /dev/[u]random doesn't exist.

Need to use dd to generate a large file from a sample file of random data. This is because I don't have /dev/urandom. I create a named pipe then: dd if=mynamed.fifo do=myfile.fifo bs=1024 count=1024 but when I cat a file to the fifo that's 1024 random bytes: cat randomfile.txt >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk (or) UNIX random RGB colors generator?

Dear UNIX Friends, I was wondering if there is a random RGB color generator or any function in any unix platforms. Please share your ideas. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)