Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NEW to Unix (novice)
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers NEW to Unix (novice) Post 302211460 by new214 on Thursday 3rd of July 2008 11:39:50 AM
Old 07-03-2008
Question NEW to Unix (novice)

Heya all Im just reading up on the solaris o/s and unix and i just have the following qustions

1) is the solaris o/s the same as Unix if not how are they different - i.e. are they different operating systems?

2) Can the Unix be loaded from CD without affectin windows o/s just like linux can?

3) what are the hardware requirements for using UNIX as I have 3.05 GHz and 124 mb of RAM?

4) Can UNIX be used as a dual boot with windows?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Question From a Novice

HELLO GUYS, How u all guys doing?Recently I brought a system and installed Red Hat Linux in it. I have also got a network card. My question is can i connect NIC to my system and use it as a client? I really don't want to buy another system. I want to use this computer/system both as server and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyno
0 Replies

2. Programming

novice student needs help

Help! I am very stuck!!! I have to produce a practical implementation of ONC RPC for an assignment and I do not know where to start. I hve done much searching on sun's site but everything is too complicated for someone with my limited knowledge. I only know the very basic unix commands and have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karen79
1 Replies

3. Linux

Hi I M Novice User

hi everyone i m a novice user . just want to know how to use this website and also learn unix from the basics. can any one help me please.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MSK
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem for novice

Hi, I am observing a problem wiht my script. I tokk that part and executed from the command prompt. Below is the command the error. CAn any one suggest what should be done here. if ($cnt -lt $maxcnt) then echo deepu fi ksh: 0: not found Thanks in advance (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepaksamuel
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix scripting-Need help-NOVICE -PLEASE HELP

I really want to get into unix scripting,work with RS6000 -AIX. How do i get started,what books are good for beginners,i am very desperate I have no programming background but ready to scrafice all my time in learning .please help. PLEASE,PLEASE PLEASE ,HELP.... Any advice will realy... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ghanaman
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell Novice - File Manipulation

Hi, I am brand new to unix and am hoping someone can start me in the right direction. I want to be able to put the results of a file command such as wc -l filename into a variable which I can then use to test against another variable...i.e. I need to show the nth line of a file, but need to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmullane
3 Replies

7. Solaris

New to solaris (novice)

Heya all Im just reading up on the solaris o/s and have a few questions regarding it: 1) is the solaris of free to use/download? if yes where? 2) Can the solaris o/s be loaded from CD without affectin windows o/s just like linux can? 3) what are the hardware requirements for using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new214
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with a little script - novice

I am just learning unix and need some help. I am trying to display all of the files I have modified within the last 24 hours and sort them from the most recently modified. I can't figure it out.. I've been using a lot of ls and find commands. Here are some things I've tried: find . -mtime -1 |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mredwin3
4 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

PC User/UNIX Novice - Where do I start?

Hi all, I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I am an IT professional within a prodominently Windows Environment :D. I would like to learn the basics of UNIX/Solaris/Red Hat etc to create a niche skill on my CV. How do I go about it? -Which OS do I download and from where?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mightymo26
6 Replies

10. Programming

Novice in C needs help

Guys can you help me ? I'm novice in C but I have a lot of will to master C. Each gurney starts with first step O.K. My problem is to compare two integers entered by user I know how to set up conditions and problem is how to print correct value (grater number) // This program... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
5 Replies