Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Changing root group to group from other Post 302211421 by reborg on Thursday 3rd of July 2008 09:53:40 AM
Old 07-03-2008
I didn't see any mention of changing any permissions here. It was to change the primary group for the user "root" from "other" to "root". I can't really think of any reason that that would cause a problem, but neither can I really see a reason to make that change. If it's a question of making files created by root more secure by default, you could simply change the UMASK for root.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing the Effective Group ID

Here is my situation. On a RedHat 7.3 box, I have a user named jody. When I log in with jody and type in "id", I get the expected output: uid=1(jody) gid=1(jody) groups=1(jody), 510(test) However, I cannot figure which "id" option allows me to change the effective gid. I tried the options... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jody
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

changing group ID

My current GID are all < 100, however I am having issues now with this. Does anyone know of a way to change all GID's to perhaps add 100, IE so GID now = 23 will = 123. I am running an NIS network so changing the table is easy , however finding all the files on all my filesystems and modifying... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing userID and Changing group and GID

Hello, I want to write a ksh script about changing UID and changing group with GID. There are multiple servers i want to perform that job. linux1 linux2 linux3 linux4 linux5 ...... . . . . . 1.) How can i enter "password" in script rather asking me? I was trying this... ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deal732
2 Replies

4. Solaris

group id for root

Hi expert, original : # id uid=0(root) gid=1(other) after some event: # id uid=0(root) gid=1 how to put it back gid=1(other) thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: olaris
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge group numbers and add a column containing group names

I have a file in the following format. Groups of data merge together and the group number is indicated above each group. 1 adrf dfgr dfg 2 dfgr dfgr 3 dfef dfr fd 4 fgrt fgr fgg 5 fgrt fgr (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regarding changing ownership and group

i am able to change the mode using chmod and able to change permission. but i am not able to change group and ownership. getting as invalid can any one help me regarding this . (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satheeshkr_cse
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge group numbers and add a column containing group names

Hi All I do have a file like this with 6 columns. Groups of data merge together and the group number is indicated above each group. 1 1 12 26 289 3.2e-027 GCGTATGGCGGC 2 12 26 215 6.7e+006 TTCCACCTTTTG 3 9 26 175 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a one liner to grep a group info from /etc/group and use that result to search passwd file

/etc/group tiadm::345:mk789,po312,jo343,ju454,ko453,yx879,iy345,hn453 bin::2:root,daemon sys::3:root,bin,adm adm::4:root,daemon uucp::5:root /etc/passwd mk789:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh po312:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh ju454:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
6 Replies

9. Programming

Sql ORA-00937: not a single-group group function

I'm trying to return only one row with the highest value for PCT_MAX_USED. Any suggestions? When I add this code, I get the ORA-00937 error. trunc(max(decode( kbytes_max, 0, 0, (kbytes_alloc/kbytes_max)*100))) pct_max_used This is the original and returns all rows. select (select... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: progkcp
3 Replies
CHROOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 CHROOT(8)

NAME
chroot -- change root directory SYNOPSIS
chroot [-u -user] [-g -group] [-G -group,group,...] newroot [command] DESCRIPTION
The chroot command changes its root directory to the supplied directory newroot and exec's command, if supplied, or an interactive copy of your shell. If the -u, -g or -G options are given, the user, group and group list of the process are set to these values after the chroot has taken place. See setgid(2), setgroups(2), setuid(2), getgrnam(3) and getpwnam(3). Note, command or the shell are run as your real-user-id. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is referenced by chroot: SHELL If set, the string specified by SHELL is interpreted as the name of the shell to exec. If the variable SHELL is not set, /bin/sh is used. SEE ALSO
chdir(2), chroot(2), environ(7) HISTORY
The chroot utility first appeared in 4.4BSD. SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
chroot should never be installed setuid root, as it would then be possible to exploit the program to gain root privileges. 4.3 Berkeley Distribution October 6, 1998 4.3 Berkeley Distribution