Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Perl IO vs GLOB symbols
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl IO vs GLOB symbols Post 302211339 by srinivasan_85 on Thursday 3rd of July 2008 06:02:45 AM
Old 07-03-2008
Error Perl IO vs GLOB symbols

Hi,

Can someone please clarify how we are able to use both IO and GLOB symbols of a package variable interchangeably?

Please consider the following code:
Code:
open(FH,"myfile") || die "Unable to open file myfile:$@";
my $glob_var = *main::FH{GLOB};
my $io_var = *main::FH{IO};
print $glob_var "From glob\n";
print $io_var "From IO\n";
close FH;

Now 'myfile' contains,
Code:
From glob
From IO

Thanks,
Srini

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting symbols

Can anyone please tell me what the following do 1. < 2. << Thanks Calypso (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Calypso
1 Replies

2. Programming

cc -- Unsatisfied symbols -- on HP-UX 10.2

Greetings, I am slowly learning a few things but am far from being an expert. I am at the point now that I would like to be able write some ANSI C code on HP-UX 10.2. Just a hobbie... I am just using cc, which came with the HP-UX 10.2 ... I don't have the manuals for the development... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dirk_
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: How to Print symbols like " and ;

Hi, How do I print a line with symbols in a file? Exp: If I want to print line: Hi "Lisa;John" Command: print FILE "Hi "Lisa;John""; - will give me error Bareword found where operator expected... Can someone advise how can I print any line consiting symbols like example above. Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SSGKT
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with understanding the symbols '~#' and '~$'

I noticed that sometimes there is "~#" or "~$" in the terminal. What is that? I can't make any research in google because I don't know what are they called. I even tried reading pdf's or books but unfortunately, I wasn't lucky to find out. Maybe I was not persistent enough but I am really... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chams
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

glob not matching all files in perl

I encountered a weird issue with globbing in perl not returning all files, while I was testing out a script for recursive dir-processing on my Synology NAS. Basically it didn't show (/match?) all the files in a specific directory. If I move the file to a different directory or even rename it, it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: odyssey
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to extract only decimal numbers for a glob of text

If you have a look at this thread, you'll see that users have been posting the output a script which are numbers that range from 2 to 5 decimal places. If I dump this entire thread to txt file, how can I: 1) Delete everything except for numbers of the following formats (where 'x' is a digit and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: graysky
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python - glob () - How to grep same files with different extension files

Hi I Have a directory and i have some files below abc.txt abc.gif gtee.txt ghod.pid umni.log unmi.tar How can use glob function to grep abc files , i have created a variable "text" and i assigned value as "abc", please suggest me how can we use glob.glob( ) to get the output as below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using glob() in python script in Linux

Hi I need some suggestion on glob function. I am trying to write a python program to grep some specific files in a particular directory. In the directory i have some files like below abc.log abc.pid abc.tar gadd.tar gat.log gat.tar in this directory i need to grep onlu my hostname files,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use ./*glob*

I used this site to check a script. ShellCheck - shell script analysis tool Line 57: zip -u -q Desktop_Items.zip *.desktop ^-- SC2035: Use ./*glob* or -- *glob* so names with dashes won't become options. I do not understand what is wrong with my zip... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with user input including * (glob) and sed

Hello All, I have created a script that searches for different things and "sanitizes" the findings from files. Currently the user is required to put in a hostname (server.serverfarm.abc) one at a time to replace. I would like the user be able to use *.*.abc in grep and then pipe into sed to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvezinat
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)