Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed - How to escape variable number of "/" (slash) ? Post 302211337 by bakunin on Thursday 3rd of July 2008 05:59:40 AM
Old 07-03-2008
Either you do like spirtle said or you use a separate sed script to change every "/" in the $tab2 variable to a "\/" prior to using the variables content:

Code:
tab2="(print - "$tab2" | sed 's/\//\\\//g')"

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count number of occurrences of a "|" from a variable?

I have a variable, var="some1|some2|some3" I want to know how many "|" are in $var. When I say echo $var | grep -c '|' I am getting only 1 :confused: :confused: :confused: ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed , Replace a "variable text" inside of a statement

Please Help... I am trying to manipulte the following line Before : <user:Account_Password>002786</user:Account_Password> the password is the "variable", i need to delete / omit the password in the file, (it occurs several thousand times) so the tag line looks like After:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackn7
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris escape my script from "-" to "/226"

Hello everyone. I beg your guys pardon please. I try to ls -al in many path/directories. So, I put the code in text file which look like below; ls -al / ls -al /etc ls -al /etc/default ... however, when I paste it to Solaris over SecureCRT, it seems the code was escaped from "-" to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smith
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed escape character for comment string "/*"

Good afternoon all, I'm hoping my newbie question can help bolster someone's street_cred.sh today. I'm trying to "fingerprint" SQL on its way into the rdbms for a benchmarking process (so I can tie the resource allocation back to the process more precisely). To do this, I'm essentially... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toeharp
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting "user input line number" from a file using sed

Hi I want to delete a line from a txt file for which the line number is user input. Say when user selects 19, the 19th line would be deleted from the file. Can anyone please provide me with a sed one liner for the same... I tried sed -i. The interaction would be like this Enter the line to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudeep.id
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting "user input line number" from a file using sed

Hi I want to delete a line from a txt file for which the line number is user input. Say when user selects 19, the 19th line would be deleted from the file. Can anyone please provide me with a sed one liner for the same... I tried sed -i. The interaction would be like this Enter the line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudeep.id
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sub function "quote or slash"

I struggle to understand why its used slash / instead of doublequotes " in sub function of awk. This is taken from the manual of awksub(/USA/, "United States", "the USA and Canada") But this work alsosub("USA", "United States", "the USA and Canada") Is there any reason of why to select one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture the last record number using "awk" NR variable

Hi Team. I am trying to capture the last record number from a file using the below command ( assuming abc.txt has 21 records and I want 21 as output ) awk'{c=NR;print c}'abc.txt But it is printing all the record number. Can someone please help modify the above command? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatwithsaurav
8 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)