Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep causing long delay (batching) whilst piping Post 302211287 by spudtheimpaler on Thursday 3rd of July 2008 04:24:37 AM
Old 07-03-2008
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annihilannic
Hi Mitch,

[...]
I ended up replacing grep with a small perl script:
[...]
Hope that helps.
Annihilannic,

I appreciate the response, and it's good to know I'm not alone with the problem, but I'm writing this for what could be many boxes, including production servers where perl wont be available. That is of course secondary to the fact that there is already a tool that, as far as I know, should work fine. Apart from your workaround, did you find any information on *why* it might be happening?

Thanks again for your time.

Regards,
Mitch.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Long Delay if any with network services

While installing a firewall, I was pinging the interface from SCO 5.0.6 Openserver box, while no response, I hit "DEL" to cancel, but no cancel. Then all of a sudden I get BOO-KOO traffic lights on HUB and Switch.... Then a kernel trap error. System froze... Proceeded with a cold boot. Now I have... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nashvillek5
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about grep, cut, and piping

Howdy folks, I am fairly new to scripting but have lost of expirience in c++, pascal, and a few other. I am trying to complete a file search script that is sent a file name containing data to search that is arranged like this "id","name","rating" "1","bob","7" etc and an argument to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dyrt
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping GREP

Hi, I need to use a double grep so to speak. I need to grep for a particular item say BOB and then for each successful result I need to grep for another item say SMITH. I tried grep "BOB" filename | grep "SMITH" but it does not seem to work. I can achieve my desired result using an... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping STDOUT as pattern to grep or sed

$>cat file.txt 123 d3 234 abc 3 zyf 23 124 def 8 ghi kz0 ... ... I have the following output on the screen through <some command>. $> <some command> abc def ghi ... ... I have to search for each of these patterns in the file.txt and print the lines in file.txt matching the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: VNR
4 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Piping with grep

Hi everybody, I have a big file with blast results (if you know what this means, otherwise look at it just as a text file with a specific form). I am trying to extract some ids from within this file, which have certain parameters. For example, some Of my IDs have the term 'No hit results'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frymor
1 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Piping with grep

Hi everybody, I have a big file with blast results (if you know what this means, otherwise look at it just as a text file with a specific form). I am trying to extract some ids from within this file, which have certain parameters. For example, some Of my IDs have the term 'No hit results'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frymor
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping grep into awk, read the next line using grep

Hi, I have a number of files containing the information below. """"" Fundallinfo 6.3950 14.9715 14.0482 """"" I would like to grep for Fundallinfo and use it to read the next line? I ideally would like to read the three numbers that follow in the next line and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Moghadam
2 Replies

8. Solaris

SSH and telnet long delay to recieve prompt.

Hi guys. You'd have to excuse me a bit, as I'm a noob. I really try to avoid asking questions and do research for whatever linux issues that may arise. I am experiencing a long wait for the shell to come up when I ssh or telnet into a Sunos 5.10 environment. It takes 70 seconds to give me... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpenco
12 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Piping to grep with pbpaste

cat file 1 aaa 2 bbb 3 ccc 4 ddd In TextEdit, I then copy the characters “ccc” to the clipboard. The problem is that the following command gives no output: bash-3.2$ pbpaste | grep - file Desired output: 3 ccc What should the syntax be for that command? I am using MacOS El... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: palex
3 Replies
OCF_HEARTBEAT_DELAY(7)						OCF resource agents					    OCF_HEARTBEAT_DELAY(7)

NAME
ocf_heartbeat_Delay - Waits for a defined timespan SYNOPSIS
Delay [start | stop | status | monitor | meta-data | validate-all] DESCRIPTION
This script is a test resource for introducing delay. SUPPORTED PARAMETERS
startdelay How long in seconds to delay on start operation. (optional, integer, default 30) stopdelay How long in seconds to delay on stop operation. Defaults to "startdelay" if unspecified. (optional, integer, default 30) mondelay How long in seconds to delay on monitor operation. Defaults to "startdelay" if unspecified. (optional, integer, default 30) SUPPORTED ACTIONS
This resource agent supports the following actions (operations): start Starts the resource. Suggested minimum timeout: 30. stop Stops the resource. Suggested minimum timeout: 30. status Performs a status check. Suggested minimum timeout: 30. Suggested interval: 10. monitor Performs a detailed status check. Suggested minimum timeout: 30. Suggested interval: 10. meta-data Retrieves resource agent metadata (internal use only). Suggested minimum timeout: 5. validate-all Performs a validation of the resource configuration. Suggested minimum timeout: 5. EXAMPLE
The following is an example configuration for a Delay resource using the crm(8) shell: primitive p_Delay ocf:heartbeat:Delay op monitor depth="0" timeout="30" interval="10" SEE ALSO
http://www.linux-ha.org/wiki/Delay_(resource_agent) AUTHOR
Linux-HA contributors (see the resource agent source for information about individual authors) resource-agents UNKNOWN 06/09/2014 OCF_HEARTBEAT_DELAY(7)