Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed - How to escape variable number of "/" (slash) ? Post 302211277 by majormark on Thursday 3rd of July 2008 03:51:18 AM
Old 07-03-2008
Sed - How to escape variable number of "/" (slash) ?

Hi,

Can you tell me how to escape a variable number of slash characters in sed "/" ?

In the script the code looks like this:

cat $file_to_update | sed s/^$param/$param=$tab2*\#\*/1

And the $tab2 value is a path so it will have a number of "/" charracters.

Code:
# cat db.cfg | sed "s/^OutputDirectory/OutputDirectory=/var/opt/*#*/1"
sed: command garbled: s/^OutputDirectory/OutputDirectory=/var/opt*#*/1
 And also "\" does not seem to work:
# cat db.cfg | sed s/^OutputDirectory/OutputDirectory=\/var\/opt*#*/1
sed: command garbled: s/^OutputDirectory/OutputDirectory=/var/opt*#*/1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count number of occurrences of a "|" from a variable?

I have a variable, var="some1|some2|some3" I want to know how many "|" are in $var. When I say echo $var | grep -c '|' I am getting only 1 :confused: :confused: :confused: ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed , Replace a "variable text" inside of a statement

Please Help... I am trying to manipulte the following line Before : <user:Account_Password>002786</user:Account_Password> the password is the "variable", i need to delete / omit the password in the file, (it occurs several thousand times) so the tag line looks like After:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackn7
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris escape my script from "-" to "/226"

Hello everyone. I beg your guys pardon please. I try to ls -al in many path/directories. So, I put the code in text file which look like below; ls -al / ls -al /etc ls -al /etc/default ... however, when I paste it to Solaris over SecureCRT, it seems the code was escaped from "-" to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smith
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed escape character for comment string "/*"

Good afternoon all, I'm hoping my newbie question can help bolster someone's street_cred.sh today. I'm trying to "fingerprint" SQL on its way into the rdbms for a benchmarking process (so I can tie the resource allocation back to the process more precisely). To do this, I'm essentially... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toeharp
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting "user input line number" from a file using sed

Hi I want to delete a line from a txt file for which the line number is user input. Say when user selects 19, the 19th line would be deleted from the file. Can anyone please provide me with a sed one liner for the same... I tried sed -i. The interaction would be like this Enter the line to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudeep.id
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting "user input line number" from a file using sed

Hi I want to delete a line from a txt file for which the line number is user input. Say when user selects 19, the 19th line would be deleted from the file. Can anyone please provide me with a sed one liner for the same... I tried sed -i. The interaction would be like this Enter the line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudeep.id
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sub function "quote or slash"

I struggle to understand why its used slash / instead of doublequotes " in sub function of awk. This is taken from the manual of awksub(/USA/, "United States", "the USA and Canada") But this work alsosub("USA", "United States", "the USA and Canada") Is there any reason of why to select one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture the last record number using "awk" NR variable

Hi Team. I am trying to capture the last record number from a file using the below command ( assuming abc.txt has 21 records and I want 21 as output ) awk'{c=NR;print c}'abc.txt But it is printing all the record number. Can someone please help modify the above command? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatwithsaurav
8 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)