Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: merge two files horizontally
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting merge two files horizontally Post 302211235 by Annihilannic on Thursday 3rd of July 2008 01:55:57 AM
Old 07-03-2008
How about something like this (typed, not tested):

Code:
awk '
    {
        print ; getline ; print 
        for (i=1; i<=4 && getline < "writeFFFFh_to_dpram.txt"; i++) { print }
    }
' wa1009wd00FF.dat > final_writeFFFFh.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Combining files horizontally

I have 2 files, 1.txt and 2.txt which have the following format: 1.txt :451:1 :451:0 :451:1 and so on.. 2.txt :108:13897187 :108:90890789 :108:76476386 and so on.. I want to combine the files horizontally, I tried paste 1.txt 2.txt as well as cat but both of them are giving me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshuljain
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge files of differrent size with one field common in both files using awk

hi, i am facing a problem in merging two files using awk, the problem is as stated below, file1: A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|1 M|N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|2 AA|BB|CC|DD|EE|FF|GG|HH|II|1 .... .... .... file2 : 1|Mn|op|qr (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi1982
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge 2 files

Hi , This might be the stupidest question I am asking, but I am struck with this problem. I am trying to merge 2 files, file1 has header and file2 has contents. while I merge them , it merges from the 1st line of file1. for ex: file1 col1|col2|col3| file2 123|234|456|... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rashmisb
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing the content of two files to a single file horizontally

Hi all, assume that i am having two files file.1 and file.2 these are the contents of file.1 these are the contents of file.2 i want these two contents to be written in another single file like this. can you please post your suggestions. Thanks in advance, ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

merge files

hi, i've two files whcih i need to merge in below format. File1- DEFINE lc_driver CHAR(3) INITIALIZE gr_XXX_MAIN_TABLE_XXX.* TO NULL { EXECUTE p_XXX_MAIN_TABLE_XXX_ins USING gr_XXX_MAIN_TABLE_XXX.* } File2 - # field1 LET table1.field1= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking in a directory how many files are present and basing on that merge all the files

Hi, My requirement is,there is a directory location like: :camp/current/ In this location there can be different flat files that are generated in a single day with same header and the data will be different, differentiated by timestamp, so i need to verify how many files are generated... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_sagi
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge files

a.txt id name subject 12 aaa History 23 bbb Science 45 ccc Zoology b.txt id layer LayerNo 12 xxx12 1 23 yyy23 2 23 lll23 3 45 xxx45 1 45 yyy45 2 45 lll45 3 i have file a.txt which is parent file and another children file b.txt . Both files are linked together by common field... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to merge two files?

Hi Gurus, I have two files as below file1 abc cde cdd cdf file2 123 234 345 456 I want to get abc 123 cde 234 cdd 345 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge files and generate a resume in two files

Dear Gents, Please I need your help... I need small script :) to do the following. I have a thousand of files in a folder produced daily. I need first to merge all files called. txt (0009.txt, 0010.txt, 0011.txt) and and to output a resume of all information on 2 separate files in csv... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging data horizontally with newlines in files

Hi Everyone, I have two files file1 and file2 with these contents cat file1 AAAAA 01/03/2014 04:01:23 BBBB 01/03/2014 03:03:34 CCCcc 01/03/2014 03:03:34 cat file2 1 RED 1 HHHH 1 TTTT 1 BBBBB I tried the below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya_001
2 Replies
IO::Handle::Prototype::Fallback(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		      IO::Handle::Prototype::Fallback(3pm)

NAME
IO::Handle::Prototype::Fallback - Create IO::Handle like objects using a set of callbacks. SYNOPSIS
my $fh = IO::Handle::Prototype::Fallback->new( getline => sub { my $fh = shift; ... }, ); DESCRIPTION
This class provides a way to define a filehandle based on callbacks. Fallback implementations are provided to the extent possible based on the provided callbacks, for both writing and reading. SPECIAL CALLBACKS
This class provides two additional methods on top of IO::Handle, designed to let you implement things with a minimal amount of baggage. The fallback methods are all best implemented using these, though these can be implemented in terms of Perl's standard methods too. However, to provide the most consistent semantics, it's better to do this: IO::Handle::Prototype::Fallback->new( __read => sub { shift @array; }, ); Than this: IO::Handle::Prototype::Fallback->new( getline => sub { shift @array; }, ); Because the fallback implementation of "getline" implements all of the extra crap you'd need to handle to have a fully featured implementation. __read Return a chunk of data of any size (could use $/ or not, it depends on you, unlike "getline" which probably should respect the value of $/). This avoids the annoying "substr" stuff you need to do with "read". __write $string Write out a string. This is like a simplified "print", which can disregard $, and "$" as well as multiple argument forms, and does not have the extra "substr" annoyance of "write" or "syswrite". WRAPPING
If you provide a single reading related callback ("__read", "getline" or "read") then your callback will be used to implement all of the other reading primitives using a string buffer. These implementations handle $/ in all forms ("undef", ref to number and string), all the funny calling conventions for "read", etc. FALLBACKS
Any callback that can be defined purely in terms of other callbacks in a way will be added. For instance "getc" can be implemented in terms of "read", "say" can be implemented in terms of "print", "print" can be implemented in terms of "write", "write" can be implemented in terms of "print", etc. None of these require special wrapping and will always be added if their dependencies are present. GLOB OVERLOADING
When overloaded as a glob a tied handle will be returned. This allows you to use the handle in Perl's IO builtins. For instance: my $line = <$fh> will not call the "getline" method natively, but the tied interface arranges for that to happen. perl v5.10.1 2009-09-29 IO::Handle::Prototype::Fallback(3pm)