Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep causing long delay (batching) whilst piping Post 302211181 by Annihilannic on Wednesday 2nd of July 2008 08:55:37 PM
Old 07-02-2008
Hi Mitch,

I had exactly the same problem with a script I wrote to put timestamps on some tail -f output - I kept getting bunches of lines with the same timestamp instead of them being processed in real time.

I ended up replacing grep with a small perl script:

Code:
./input.sh | perl -nwe '
        BEGIN {
                # From the open() section on the perlfunc man page.
                # Makes output unbuffered.
                select(STDOUT); $| = 1;
        }
        /2008/ && print;
' | ./output.sh

Hope that helps.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Long Delay if any with network services

While installing a firewall, I was pinging the interface from SCO 5.0.6 Openserver box, while no response, I hit "DEL" to cancel, but no cancel. Then all of a sudden I get BOO-KOO traffic lights on HUB and Switch.... Then a kernel trap error. System froze... Proceeded with a cold boot. Now I have... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nashvillek5
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about grep, cut, and piping

Howdy folks, I am fairly new to scripting but have lost of expirience in c++, pascal, and a few other. I am trying to complete a file search script that is sent a file name containing data to search that is arranged like this "id","name","rating" "1","bob","7" etc and an argument to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dyrt
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping GREP

Hi, I need to use a double grep so to speak. I need to grep for a particular item say BOB and then for each successful result I need to grep for another item say SMITH. I tried grep "BOB" filename | grep "SMITH" but it does not seem to work. I can achieve my desired result using an... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping STDOUT as pattern to grep or sed

$>cat file.txt 123 d3 234 abc 3 zyf 23 124 def 8 ghi kz0 ... ... I have the following output on the screen through <some command>. $> <some command> abc def ghi ... ... I have to search for each of these patterns in the file.txt and print the lines in file.txt matching the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: VNR
4 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Piping with grep

Hi everybody, I have a big file with blast results (if you know what this means, otherwise look at it just as a text file with a specific form). I am trying to extract some ids from within this file, which have certain parameters. For example, some Of my IDs have the term 'No hit results'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frymor
1 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Piping with grep

Hi everybody, I have a big file with blast results (if you know what this means, otherwise look at it just as a text file with a specific form). I am trying to extract some ids from within this file, which have certain parameters. For example, some Of my IDs have the term 'No hit results'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frymor
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping grep into awk, read the next line using grep

Hi, I have a number of files containing the information below. """"" Fundallinfo 6.3950 14.9715 14.0482 """"" I would like to grep for Fundallinfo and use it to read the next line? I ideally would like to read the three numbers that follow in the next line and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Moghadam
2 Replies

8. Solaris

SSH and telnet long delay to recieve prompt.

Hi guys. You'd have to excuse me a bit, as I'm a noob. I really try to avoid asking questions and do research for whatever linux issues that may arise. I am experiencing a long wait for the shell to come up when I ssh or telnet into a Sunos 5.10 environment. It takes 70 seconds to give me... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpenco
12 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Piping to grep with pbpaste

cat file 1 aaa 2 bbb 3 ccc 4 ddd In TextEdit, I then copy the characters “ccc” to the clipboard. The problem is that the following command gives no output: bash-3.2$ pbpaste | grep - file Desired output: 3 ccc What should the syntax be for that command? I am using MacOS El... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: palex
3 Replies
PAM_FAILDELAY(8)						 Linux-PAM Manual						  PAM_FAILDELAY(8)

NAME
pam_faildelay - Change the delay on failure per-application SYNOPSIS
pam_faildelay.so [debug] [delay=microseconds] DESCRIPTION
pam_faildelay is a PAM module that can be used to set the delay on failure per-application. If no delay is given, pam_faildelay will use the value of FAIL_DELAY from /etc/login.defs. OPTIONS
debug Turns on debugging messages sent to syslog. delay=N Set the delay on failure to N microseconds. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the auth module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_IGNORE Delay was successful adjusted. PAM_SYSTEM_ERR The specified delay was not valid. EXAMPLES
The following example will set the delay on failure to 10 seconds: auth optional pam_faildelay.so delay=10000000 SEE ALSO
pam_fail_delay(3), pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(7) AUTHOR
pam_faildelay was written by Darren Tucker <dtucker@zip.com.au>. Linux-PAM Manual 06/04/2011 PAM_FAILDELAY(8)