Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to call another program
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to call another program Post 302210988 by mirusnet on Wednesday 2nd of July 2008 11:31:08 AM
Old 07-02-2008
What do you mean
Quote:
a program "cmp_size"
?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

How to call a proc file from *.c program?

Hi, I am new to Linux programming. As part of learning, I need to create a *.c program where we call certain /proc files (i.e. such as meminfo, version, uptime, etc...) from our program. Can anyone point me to a simple program on how one would do this (i.e. can you directly call uptime() or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_and_cami
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to call awk in a csh Program

Hi Friends, Could you pleas help me out.. I have an awk program which works fine while running it in the command prompt. The awk program is =============== awk 'BEGIN { format="head -%d M2_Sales_N01.txt |tail -%d >M2_Sales_N01_%02d.txt\n" n=0 m=0 } { if (n==0) { tmp=$1 n=1 }... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bikas_jena
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call C Program From Shell Script

Hi, Could anybody please let me know how to call a C_Program from shell script. I know through command "system" we can call shell script from C program. Awaiting response. Thanks and regards, Chanakya M (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chanakya.m
4 Replies

4. Programming

how to call c executable inside c program??

hi guys i have only basic knowledge of c so guys plz help me ..... i want 2 call c executable which requires file name as argument and i need to modify file contents before calling that executable now my question is how can i call this c executable inside another c program with arguments ?? i... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
9 Replies

5. Programming

A question about the system call mount in a C program

Dear all, Currently I'm working on a C program (OS = ubuntu 9.0.4)in which a USB key will be mounted and umounted for several times. I read the man page of the mount system call. I use the following test code #include <sys/mount.h> int main(int argc, char *argv) { if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dariyoosh
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run two commands from a exec call in a c program

Hi, I have to run two commands one after another from a c program. How can i do this with exec system calls. i tried giving them as argument to execv but it is not working.please help thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call a mainframe program

Is it possible to call a mainframe program in UNIX script. I am using HP-UNIX. If so can any let me know the way to do it. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atlantis
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call a stored procedure from shell program?

How to call a stored procedure from shell program (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noorm
1 Replies

9. Programming

call program

I would need to call the program 'ethtool' in my C++ program, does anyone know how to do that (if its even possible)? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Freaky123
1 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with Execl system call in a C program?

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: "Your a7.c program should use printf to print a nice message. (You can decide what to say.) Then the process... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: miniviking10
9 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)