Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Is M$ safer than UN*X(-LIKE)?? Post 302210888 by Texasone on Wednesday 2nd of July 2008 07:44:55 AM
Old 07-02-2008
Well the virus scanner on a server is a definiate since probably 70% of your clients are going to have a M$ Windows box, and most viruses are Windows aimed. I am going to add stuff to my computer like virus protection, but I already had IPtables setup via FireStarter at the time. But the orginal statement was saying that, as I have found, the average Windows user doesn't know the difference between Windows virus and PC virus and believe that all viruses and malware in Windows works on almost any PC.

For example, I called an Internet Service Provider, I won't say who though, and asked them if their internet security that they offer through their internet connection only protected Windows PC's or does it cover other OS such as UNIX or UNIX-like and the response I received was: Don't those viruses affect all computers?
Not bashing windows users, but people just need to understand the difference between PC viruses and Windows viruses and Linux viruses, etc...

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Nuclear Elephant iPhone Wipe making your iPhone Safer for Resale

For those with the iPhones here might read up how to wipe your personal data off the phone before reselling or trade-in. ;) source: Nuclear Elephant: iPhone Wipe June 1, 2008: Making your iPhone Safe for Resale Since my posts regarding the iPhone restore mode being insufficient for wiping... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

# /UNIX.org file deleting is safer or not

Hi All, Please tell me the use of # /Unix.org file it has reserved a huge disk space, I want to know is it safer to truncate or delete. Thanks - Rukshan.:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rukshan4u2c
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Why is editing a file by renaming the new one safer?

Hello: I've been reading about ways to edit files from the command line, and I've found two websites which state that the following is the safest way to edit a file: command original > new mv new originalThat is, renaming the newer file to the previous one. This is what the websites I mentioned... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cacializ
8 Replies
Scan(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 Scan(3pm)

NAME
File::Scan - Perl extension for Scanning files for Viruses SYNOPSIS
use File::Scan; $fs = File::Scan->new([, OPTION ...]); $fs->set_callback( sub { my $filename = shift; my $bytes = shift; ... return("Callback Value"); } ); $fs->scan([FILE]); if(my $e = $fs->error) { print "$e "; } if(my $c = $fs->skipped) { print "file skipped ($c) "; } if($fs->suspicious) { print "suspicious file "; } if(my $res = $fs->callback) { print "$res "; } DESCRIPTION
This module is designed to allows users to scan files for known viruses. The purpose is to provide a perl module to make plataform independent virus scanners. METHODS
new([, OPTION ...]) This method create a new File::Scan object. The following keys are available: callback => 'subroutine reference' if the item is set then use a callback subroutine reference to provide extra information and functionalities. The callback subroutine have two arguments: filename and first 1024 bytes read from the file. This only work for binary files. extension => 'string' add the specified extension to the infected file move => 'directory' move the infected file to the specified directory copy => 'directory' copy the infected file to the specified directory mkdir => octal_number if the value is set to octal number then make the specified directories (example: mkdir => 0755). delete => 0 or 1 if the value is set to 1 delete the infected file max_txt_size => 'size in kbytes' scan only the text file if the file size is less then max_txt_size. The default value is 5120 kbytes. Set to 0 for no limit. max_bin_size => 'size in kbytes' scan only the binary file if the file size is less then max_bin_size. The default value is 10240 kbytes. Set to 0 for no limit. scan([FILE]) This method scan a file for viruses and return the name of virus if a virus is found. set_callback([SUBREF]) This method is another way to install a callback subroutine reference. Take a look in callback kay. skipped() This method return a code number if the file was skipped and 0 if not. The following skipped codes are available: 0 file not skipped 1 file is not vulnerable 2 file has zero size 3 the size of file is small 4 the text file size is greater that the 'max_txt_size' argument 5 the binary file size is greater that the 'max_bin_size' argument suspicious() This method return 1 if the file is suspicious and 0 if not. callback() This method return the result from the callback subroutine. error() This method return a error message if a error happens. AUTHOR
Henrique Dias <hdias@aesbuc.pt> CREDITS
Thanks to Rui de Castro, Sergio Castro, Ricardo Oliveira, Antonio Campelo, Branca Silveira, Helena Gomes and Anita Afonso for the help. Thanks to Fernando Martins for the personal collection of viruses. SEE ALSO
perl(1). perl v5.10.0 2009-07-19 Scan(3pm)