Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Enviornment Variable in B shell (I call it nested variable) Post 302210777 by Annihilannic on Wednesday 2nd of July 2008 12:54:08 AM
Old 07-02-2008
eval APP_ROOT=\${APP_ROOT_${APP_MODE}}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable in While Loop Nested If

Hi all, I'm having problems with the setting a variable in a nested if statement. It doesn't seem to change even if it mets the 'if' condition. My script essentially looks for a user name from the output from a kerberos command. When I find the user name, I tried to change a variable and exit... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: geass
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

nested double quota and white space inside variable

I have a question about nested double quotes. Any help is appreciated. Here are my commands on Mac OS. # string="Ethernet \"USB Ethernet\" \"Bluetooth DUN\" AirPort FireWire \"Bluetooth PAN\"" # echo $string Ethernet "USB Ethernet" "Bluetooth DUN" AirPort FireWire "Bluetooth PAN" #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lindazhou
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to parse nested variable

Hi, I want to parse nested variable in my script. for exp- c=1 G1='0318' G2='0023' G3='3092' G4='0014' while ;do g=G$c a=$g echo "Group=$g and value=$a" c=`expr $c + 1` done final output are as - --------------------------- Group=G1 and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: apskaushik
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SHELL: /bin/sh] For loop using variable variable names

Simple enough problem I think, I just can't seem to get it right. The below doesn't work as intended, it's just a function defined in a much larger script: CheckValues() { for field in \ Group_ID \ Group_Title \ Rule_ID \ Rule_Severity \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested variable allocation

I've made a number of errors with this and am trying to work a solution within the same framework. /bin/ksh for host_name in ahost1 ahost2 bhost1 bhost2 do for host_prefix in a b do if echo ${host_name} | grep -qi ${host_prefix} then if ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: squrcles
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add second variable in awk nested if condition?

Hi Gurus, I have a command to assign value based on input value. current condition is "if pattern matches "case", then assign "HOLD" else "SUCC"right now, I need to add one more condition (variable name is VAR). the condition is "if pattern1 matches "case", then assign "HOLD" else if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
2 Replies

9. Programming

How to call a variable in awk again ?

Hi again and thanks to R.Singh. One more question here. The code works in awk. (or GAWK) awk 'BEGIN{print "Enter your Name: ";getline name < "-";print RS "Input entered by user is: "name}' How to display the variable name again ? The awk script is running automaticly to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zabo
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies
times(1)							   User Commands							  times(1)

NAME
times - shell built-in function to report time usages of the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh times ksh times DESCRIPTION
sh Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from the shell. ksh Print the accumulated user and system times for the shell and for processes run from the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), time(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 times(1)