Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Enviornment Variable in B shell (I call it nested variable) Post 302210757 by princelinux on Tuesday 1st of July 2008 10:23:38 PM
Old 07-01-2008
The erorr message is
line 24: ${APP_ROOT_${APP_MODE}}: bad substitution

BTW, ${APP_ROOT}_${APP_MODE} is not my intention.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable in While Loop Nested If

Hi all, I'm having problems with the setting a variable in a nested if statement. It doesn't seem to change even if it mets the 'if' condition. My script essentially looks for a user name from the output from a kerberos command. When I find the user name, I tried to change a variable and exit... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: geass
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

nested double quota and white space inside variable

I have a question about nested double quotes. Any help is appreciated. Here are my commands on Mac OS. # string="Ethernet \"USB Ethernet\" \"Bluetooth DUN\" AirPort FireWire \"Bluetooth PAN\"" # echo $string Ethernet "USB Ethernet" "Bluetooth DUN" AirPort FireWire "Bluetooth PAN" #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lindazhou
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to parse nested variable

Hi, I want to parse nested variable in my script. for exp- c=1 G1='0318' G2='0023' G3='3092' G4='0014' while ;do g=G$c a=$g echo "Group=$g and value=$a" c=`expr $c + 1` done final output are as - --------------------------- Group=G1 and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: apskaushik
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SHELL: /bin/sh] For loop using variable variable names

Simple enough problem I think, I just can't seem to get it right. The below doesn't work as intended, it's just a function defined in a much larger script: CheckValues() { for field in \ Group_ID \ Group_Title \ Rule_ID \ Rule_Severity \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested variable allocation

I've made a number of errors with this and am trying to work a solution within the same framework. /bin/ksh for host_name in ahost1 ahost2 bhost1 bhost2 do for host_prefix in a b do if echo ${host_name} | grep -qi ${host_prefix} then if ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: squrcles
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add second variable in awk nested if condition?

Hi Gurus, I have a command to assign value based on input value. current condition is "if pattern matches "case", then assign "HOLD" else "SUCC"right now, I need to add one more condition (variable name is VAR). the condition is "if pattern1 matches "case", then assign "HOLD" else if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
2 Replies

9. Programming

How to call a variable in awk again ?

Hi again and thanks to R.Singh. One more question here. The code works in awk. (or GAWK) awk 'BEGIN{print "Enter your Name: ";getline name < "-";print RS "Input entered by user is: "name}' How to display the variable name again ? The awk script is running automaticly to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zabo
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies
Tcl_SubstObj(3tcl)					      Tcl Library Procedures						Tcl_SubstObj(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_SubstObj - perform substitutions on Tcl objects SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_Obj * Tcl_SubstObj(interp, objPtr, flags) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp (in) Interpreter in which to execute Tcl scripts and lookup variables. If an error occurs, the interpreter's result is modified to hold an error message. Tcl_Obj *objPtr (in) A Tcl object containing the string to perform substitutions on. int flags (in) ORed combination of flag bits that specify which substitutions to perform. The flags TCL_SUBST_COM- MANDS, TCL_SUBST_VARIABLES and TCL_SUBST_BACKSLASHES are currently supported, and TCL_SUBST_ALL is pro- vided as a convenience for the common case where all substitutions are desired. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The Tcl_SubstObj function is used to perform substitutions on strings in the fashion of the subst command. It gets the value of the string contained in objPtr and scans it, copying characters and performing the chosen substitutions as it goes to an output object which is returned as the result of the function. In the event of an error occurring during the execution of a command or variable substitution, the function returns NULL and an error message is left in interp's result. Three kinds of substitutions are supported. When the TCL_SUBST_BACKSLASHES bit is set in flags, sequences that look like backslash substi- tutions for Tcl commands are replaced by their corresponding character. When the TCL_SUBST_VARIABLES bit is set in flags, sequences that look like variable substitutions for Tcl commands are replaced by the con- tents of the named variable. When the TCL_SUBST_COMMANDS bit is set in flags, sequences that look like command substitutions for Tcl commands are replaced by the result of evaluating that script. Where an uncaught "continue exception" occurs during the evaluation of a command substitution, an empty string is substituted for the command. Where an uncaught "break exception" occurs during the evaluation of a command substitution, the result of the whole substitution on objPtr will be truncated at the point immediately before the start of the command substitution, and no characters will be added to the result or substitutions performed after that point. SEE ALSO
subst(3tcl) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 8.4 Tcl_SubstObj(3tcl)