Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File handling, getopts command in unix Post 302210551 by zaxxon on Tuesday 1st of July 2008 07:59:50 AM
Old 07-01-2008
Classroom/homework?
An easy start is to just read some stuff you can find with search machines like Google about basic unix commands or the famous bash shell scripting guide.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File handling in UNIX

Hi All, I want to read a file in UNIX line by line. Can u suggest me any command for this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: VENC22
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getopts - command line arguments

Hi, I'm having problems with a script where I wanted every single option specified in the command line to have an argument taken with it, but for some reason only d works in the code I will be showing below. For example if I did ./thisfile -a something it would come up with "a chosen with " as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IceX
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

file handling in perl without using system command

Hi , Is there any way to achieve following using perl program (i.e without using system command). 1.system ("echo 'test' > /usr/spool/ship.csv"); 2.system ("cat /usr/ajay_test* >> /usr/spool/RAM/work/patil.csv"); 3.system("> /usr/spool/ajay.txt"); e.g for system("rm -f... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Handling in UNIX

Hi all, I have a requirement here where I am dealing with a dynamic file. Each record in the file can contain anywhere between 1(min) to 42(max) Reject codes. For example I may have one record in the file having 3 reject codes and another record having 5 reject codes. The reject codes will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujainarayan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

handling multiple files using awk command and wants to get separate out file for each

hai all I am new to the world of shell scripting I wanted to extract two columns from multiple files say around 25 files and i wanted to get the separate outfile for each input file tired using the following command to extract two columns from 25 files awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hema dhevi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX File handling -Issue in reading a file

I have been doing automation of daily check activity for a server, i have been using sqls to retrive the data and while loop for reading the data from the file for several activities. BUT i got a show stopper the below one.. where the data is getting store in $temp_file, but not being read by while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KuldeepSinghTCS
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with getopts command

Hello All, I have shell script as below in a.ksh. #! /usr/bin/ksh while getopts a: b: ab:f: VAR do case $VAR in a) A=${OPTARG} echo $A;; b) B=${OPTARG} echo $B;; ab) AB=${OPTARG} echo $AB ;; f) F=${OPTARG} echo $F ;; esac done When I execute sh a.ksh -a 1 -b 2 -ab 3 -f 4 as below... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonsat
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash:getopts command help

How can I say one of the options is required? can I use an if statement? let say: while getopts ":c:u:fp" opt; do case $opt in c) echo "-c was triggered, Parameter: $OPTARG" >&2;; u) echo "-u was triggered, Parameter: $OPTARG" >&2;; f) echo "-u was triggered,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashily
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX file handling issue

I have a huge file semicolon( ; ) separated records are Pipe(|) delimited. e.g abc;def;ghi|jkl;mno;pqr|123;456;789 I need to replace the 50th field(semicolon separated) of each record with 9006. The 50th field can have no value e.g. ;; Can someone help me with the appropriate command. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gurkamal83
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using getopts for handling multiple options

Hi Guys, I have created a script for our automated DB creation, it works fine with default option(-d). $ ./test_db.ksh -d abc 11 dev -d is Default option ORACLE_SID=abc ORACLE_VERSION=11 ENV_TYPE=dev For creating a customized DB, i thought of giving the user different options.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeresh_15
8 Replies
term::ansi::ctrl::unix(3tcl)					 Terminal control				      term::ansi::ctrl::unix(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
term::ansi::ctrl::unix - Control operations and queries SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require term::ansi::ctrl::unix ?0.1.1? ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::import ?ns? ?arg...? ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::raw ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::raw ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::columns ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::rows _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
WARNING: This package is unix-specific and depends on the availability of two unix system commands for terminal control, i.e. stty and tput, both of which have to be found in the $PATH. If any of these two commands is missing the loading of the package will fail. The package provides commands to switch the standard input of the current process between raw and cooked input modes, and to query the size of terminals, i.e. the available number of columns and lines. API
INTROSPECTION ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::import ?ns? ?arg...? This command imports some or all attribute commands into the namespace ns. This is by default the namespace ctrl. Note that this is relative namespace name, placing the imported command into a child of the current namespace. By default all commands are imported, this can howver be restricted by listing the names of the wanted commands after the namespace argument. OPERATIONS ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::raw This command switches the standard input of the current process to raw input mode. This means that from then on all characters typed by the user are immediately reported to the application instead of waiting in the OS buffer until the Enter/Return key is received. ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::raw This command switches the standard input of the current process to cooked input mode. This means that from then on all characters typed by the user are kept in OS buffers for editing until the Enter/Return key is received. ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::columns This command queries the terminal connected to the standard input for the number of columns available for display. ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::rows This command queries the terminal connected to the standard input for the number of rows (aka lines) available for display. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category term of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. KEYWORDS
ansi, columns, control, cooked, input mode, lines, raw, rows, terminal CATEGORY
Terminal control COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2006-2011 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> term 0.1.1 term::ansi::ctrl::unix(3tcl)