Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to protect white space in for loop Post 302210533 by zaxxon on Tuesday 1st of July 2008 07:08:30 AM
Old 07-01-2008
Don't beat me, but you could just "cat" the file and everything will be fine hehe Smilie
But I guess you will do something with every sentence... I would prefer this
Code:
cat infile |\
while read LINE; do
    echo "This is my line:" ${LINE}
    #now do something with it in here
done

If you are going to parse the contents of the line, better use awk or sed like Franklin52 did.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to keep white space is being deleted using read

I am using Posix shell to write a script. The problem I am having is that when I use the read command to go through a file I lose the tabs. How can I keep this from happening? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: keelba
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping white space...

Hi All; Having a problem with a file.. the file contains the following data... (a snapshot) 1331F9E9DB7C2BB80EAEDE3A8F043B94,AL7 1DZ,M,50 186FDF93E1303DBA217279EC3671EA91,NG5 1JU,M,24 3783FFAF602015056A8CD21104B1AAAF,CH42 4NQ,M,17 It has 3 columns sepreated by a , the second column... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zak
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Padding With White Space Between Variables

Dear Users, How do we pad with white space of particular length between two variables. For Example: Suppose i define the variables as follows: a='toyota' b='camry' c='honda' d='accord' e=`echo "$a"'\n'"$b"` f=`echo "$c"'\n'"$d"` If i do an echo on variables e and f i get :... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED with White Space

Dear Members, Suppose i have a variable test which stores a string as below: test='John drives+++++++++a+++++car' now i want to use sed on the above variable and replace + with a white space, so that i get echo $test should give me 'john drives a car' Between... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching white space through Grep

Hello All, I am trying to match white space in patterns through - Grep I tried ] & ] but none of them worked. Then I tried Perl extension '\s' and it worked. So just wanted to know if ] & ] are still supported or have they become deprecated. However they have been mentioned in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed + white space

Hi, What sed command (if sed is the right command) can remove ALL white space from my file. I have a csv, except I want to remove all white space between commas and characters. My idea (without testing) sed 's/ //g' Is there a better way? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcclunyboy
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete white space using sed

Hi , I have a file with contents as below group1 = aaaaa, bbbbb, ccccc, aaa group2=aaa, bbbbb, ccccc, aaaaa group3 = bbbbb, aaa, ccccc, aaaaa group4 = bbbbb, aaa,ccccc, aaaaa I want to search for "aaa" and the output should be as below group1 = aaaaa, bbbbb, ccccc group2= bbbbb, ccccc,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil8103
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

filename with white space

our user creates a text file with a white space on the filename. this same file is transfered to unix via automation tool. i have a korn shell script that reads these files on a input directory and connects to oracle database to run the oracle procedures which will load the data from each of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove unwanted white space

Hi, I have a very big file 25GB with information present in it like $ head ind_stats update index statistics pfirm001.dbo.Office using 200 values go ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add white space

hi guys how can i add spacein file name with sed if strings have no space around dash input 19-20 ( 18-19 ) ABC-EFG output after add white space 19 - 20 (18 - 19 ) ABC - EFG thx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhs
2 Replies
UNBUFFER(1)						      General Commands Manual						       UNBUFFER(1)

NAME
unbuffer - unbuffer output SYNOPSIS
unbuffer program [ args ] INTRODUCTION
unbuffer disables the output buffering that occurs when program output is redirected from non-interactive programs. For example, suppose you are watching the output from a fifo by running it through od and then more. od -c /tmp/fifo | more You will not see anything until a full page of output has been produced. You can disable this automatic buffering as follows: unbuffer od -c /tmp/fifo | more Normally, unbuffer does not read from stdin. This simplifies use of unbuffer in some situations. To use unbuffer in a pipeline, use the -p flag. Example: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 CAVEATS
unbuffer -p may appear to work incorrectly if a process feeding input to unbuffer exits. Consider: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 If process1 exits, process2 may not yet have finished. It is impossible for unbuffer to know long to wait for process2 and process2 may not ever finish, for example, if it is a filter. For expediency, unbuffer simply exits when it encounters an EOF from either its input or process2. In order to have a version of unbuffer that worked in all situations, an oracle would be necessary. If you want an application-specific solution, workarounds or hand-coded Expect may be more suitable. For example, the following example shows how to allow grep to finish pro- cessing when the cat before it finishes first. Using cat to feed grep would never require unbuffer in real life. It is merely a place- holder for some imaginary process that may or may not finish. Similarly, the final cat at the end of the pipeline is also a placeholder for another process. $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | unbuffer grep abc | cat $ (cat /tmp/abcdef.log ; sleep 1) | unbuffer grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 June 1994 UNBUFFER(1)