Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tar command help -- extract single file Post 302210433 by icefish on Tuesday 1st of July 2008 02:40:30 AM
Old 07-01-2008
Thanks.

One more question
Where will the singlefile.dat be extracted. I dont want to overwrite any existing file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract one file form .tar.gz without uncompressing .tar.gz file

hi all, kindly help me how to extract one file form .tar.gz without uncompressing .tar.gz file. thanks in advance bali (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to unzip and extract tar file in single command

In order to save diskspace and avoid of disk full during unzip then extract the tar file is there any tar unzip command would unzip and extract tar at the same time (test123.tar.gz) thank in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkrainbow
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar: extract single file to different filepath

Hi, This is my first post here - I'm hoping I can get some help! I have searched these forums and othersand not getting anything that works. I am trying to extract a single file from a tar archive to a diffierent location than it will default to. For example my tar log shows me ... a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleIdiot
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What is command to extract single file from an archieve?

I just want to extract one sigle file from an .ear archieve instead of extracting whole ear. Can anyone help me on this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshal_dcx
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring a single file from a group of files using tar

Hello I take a backup using the following command on Solaris 9 tar cvf /dev/rmt/0n data the data volume contains a number of files say a, b, c , d ... etc Now I want to restore only one file (eg b) from the data volume. When I issue the command tar xvf /dev/rmt/0n data/b... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single command - unzip files from a tar command

I have a tar file that contains multiple .Z files. Hence I need to issue a tar command followed by a gzip command to fully extract the files. How do I do it in a single command? What I'm doing now is tar xvf a.tar (this will output 1.Z and 2.Z) gzip -d *.Z (to extract 1.Z and 2.Z) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericlim
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do I need to extract the entire tar file to confirm the tar folder is fine?

I would like to confirm my file.tar is been tar-ed correctly before I remove them. But I have very limited disc space to untar it. Can I just do the listing instead of actual extract it? Can I say confirm folder integrity if the listing is sucessful without problem? tar tvf file1.tar ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a single file from a tar file to another directory

Hi, I need to extract a single file from a tar file to another directory. So far I have this: This one extract a single file to same directory: tar -xvf filename.tar ./file.txt I tried this but its not working tar -xvf filename.tar /home/dir ./file.txt or this: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: erin00
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX command to check if file name ends with .tar OR if the file is a tar file

Hello Team, Would you please help me with a UNIX command that would check if file is a tar file. if we dont have that , can you help me with UNIX command that would check if file ends with .tar Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaydubey2006
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Tar and unzip on single command

Hi All, First of all I don't know whether this is possible. or no. Thought of getting experts thought. I am having a tar file which contains zipped file in it . I tried individual command with extraction and it worked tar -tvf TRANS_279.tar -rw-rw-r-- qqa00 1394 2016-10-03 10:39:19... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
8 Replies
UNKNOWN(1)						      General Commands Manual							UNKNOWN(1)

NAME
unknown - identify possible genotypes for unknowns SYNOPSIS
A program to rapidly identify which genotypes are possible for individuals typed as unknowns in the input pedigree. unknown [ -cl ] DESCRIPTION
unknown infers possible genotypes and mating combinations for parents with unknown genotypes for ilink(1), mlink(1) and linkmap(1). OPTIONS
-c Use conditional allele frequencies. -l Choose a good set of loop breakers automatically. RETURN VALUE
0 Successful completion ERRORS
10 File not found 255 Failure EXAMPLES
Normally, unknown(1) is run immediately prior to its sister programs, ilink(1), mlink(1) and linkmap(1), like this: unknown mlink FILES
unknown(1) reads the two files pedfile.dat and datafile.dat as its own input and produces various temporary files that are used as input to the next program. These temporary files are ipedfile.dat, upedfile.dat, speedfile.dat and newspeedfile.dat. NOTES
unknown(1) is part of the FASTLINK package, which is a re-implementation of the LINKAGE suite of computer tools that help investigate genetic linkage as first proposed G.M. Lathrop, J.M. Lalouel, C. Julier, and J. Ott. AUTHORS
Dylan Cooper, Alejandro Schaffer, and Tony Schurtz based on work originally by Jurg Ott, Ph.D, et. al. This manual page was written by Elizabeth Barham <lizzy@soggytrousers.net> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). WORD-WIDE-WEB http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/CBBResearch/Schaffer/fastlink.html SEE ALSO
ilink(1), linkmap(1), lodscore(1), mlink(1). April 15, 2003 UNKNOWN(1)