Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Comparing two .txt files in shell scripting... Post 302210177 by sysgate on Monday 30th of June 2008 09:20:00 AM
Old 06-30-2008
Look at your man pages for "diff", but basically :
Code:
diff file1.txt file2.txt > someotherfile.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two txt files - pls help

Hi, I have some text files. I need a separate shell say 1.sh in which i can open a particular text file and compare with another txt file. For example: 1.log.txt contains apple ball cat goat 2.log.txt contains goat cat lion apple fox In my i.sh i need to write script to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script for comparing 2 files

Hi, how to read the 2 files and compare each other in shell script? i have 2 files test1 and test2, both files contains 20 character records.we have to compare file 1 records with file2, if exists then reject the record else we have to append it to test2 file. in file test1 around 100 single... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashanth.spl
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing two files using shell script

hi experts please help me to compare two files which are in different directory file1<file will be master file> (/home/rev/mas.txt} ex x1 x2 file2 <will be in different folder> (/home/rev/per/.....) ex x3 x4 the filesinside per folder i need to compare with master file and the files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: revenna
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to cut data block from .txt file in shell scripting

Hi All, Currently i have to write a script. For which i need to cut a block from .txt file. I know the specific word that starts the block and ends the block. Can we do it in shell scripting..? Please suggest.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pank29
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Strings in 2 .csv/txt files?

EDIT: My problems have been solved thanks to the help of bartus11 and pravin27 This code is just to help me learn. It serves no purpose other than that. Here's a sample csv that I'm working with - #listofpeeps.csv Jackie Chan,1954,M Chuck Norris,1930,M Bruce Lee,1940,M This code is... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: chickeneaterguy
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing 2 files in shell script

I have 2 files config1h.txt ----------------- BFMU=ENABLE,ID=PM THR=OFF,REP=ALL,CON=IACM,TIM=OFF;GPON collection strategy 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2:8 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2:7 1.3.6.1.4.1.637.61.1.35.11.4:4 1.3.6.1.4.1.637.61.1.35.11.4:3 1.3.6.1.4.1.637.61.1.35.10.1:2 1.3.6.1.4.1.637.61.1.35.10.1:43... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: LavanyaP
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing two txt files with AWK

Hi, I need to compare two text files with awk. File1: ------- chr1 43815007 43815009 COSM19193 REF=TG;OBS=AA;ANCHOR=G AMPL495041 chr1 43815008 43815009 COSM18918 REF=G;OBS=T;ANCHOR=T AMPL495041 chr1 115256527 115256528 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RushiK
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing 2 files using shell script

Hi Experts, I have 2 files 1 file consists of 800 records and 2 file consists of 100 records with matching column as Membership_Num.So i need a script which will compare the 2 files and displays the output.As these are the files the script should take any delimter like (tab,comma) as input... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen.dasu
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two .txt files

i am working on a shell script and need help in the comparing part of it. for e.g. there two text files like this: file1.txt Code: name1 name2 name3 file1 has to be comared with file2 defaultfile.txt Code: name1 name2 (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: draghun9
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete file2.txt from file1.txt using scripting

Hi, I`m a total newbie, well my requirement is that i have 2 files I want to identify which countries i do not currently have in db.. how can i use the grep or another command to find this file .. i want to match all-countries.txt with countries-in-db.txt so the output is equal to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: beanbaby
11 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change your login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [-s shell] [-l] [-u] [-v] [username] DESCRIPTION
chsh is used to change your login shell. If a shell is not given on the command line, chsh prompts for one. chsh is used to change local entries only. Use ypchsh, lchsh or any other implementation for non-local entries. OPTIONS
-s, --shell shell Specify your login shell. -l, --list-shells Print the list of shells listed in /etc/shells and exit. -u, --help Print a usage message and exit. -v, --version Print version information and exit. VALID SHELLS
chsh will accept the full pathname of any executable file on the system. However, it will issue a warning if the shell is not listed in the /etc/shells file. On the other hand, it can also be configured such that it will only accept shells listed in this file, unless you are root. EXIT STATUS
Returns 0 if operation was successful, 1 if operation failed or command syntax was not valid. SEE ALSO
login(1), passwd(5), shells(5) AUTHOR
Salvatore Valente <svalente@mit.edu> AVAILABILITY
The chsh command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux July 2009 CHSH(1)