Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: scp with a sudo user
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers scp with a sudo user Post 302210138 by dlam on Monday 30th of June 2008 06:52:39 AM
Old 06-30-2008
When I run that command it asks me for the "sujones" password, but doesn't accept the one I put in. I assume it is looking for a user called "sujones" as opposed to "sudo sujones".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

scp and sudo?

I'm using AIX and I have the following issue: I need to copy configuration files from one server to another but I don't have root rights. All I can do is use sudo to change to the application owner. Permissions are such that I can't copy these files from my home, not even via /tmp to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sudo scp -r – can't get everything copied though

I want to copy a folder and all its contents of ~700GB from a computer to another. I've tried sudo scp -r directory/ admin@host:directory but the result is that the copied folder is about 2GBs smaller than the original. I checked the shell for errors and found some "file doesn't exist" errors.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MJH
2 Replies

3. AIX

sudo user access

I have installed sudo on AIX 6100-04 and want to know how do I set it up for a user to be able to run only some commands? I want to give the user the rights to only cd to certain directories and run the ls command to name a few? Are there any issues with running sudo when the user is forced to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo user

I am trying to run a command from different user on my server. However when i execute the command it asks for password can you please help. when i use this command to switch user no password is required 1) sudo su - bilbtf42 when i use 2) sudo su - bilbtf42 cp file1 direcotry1/file1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackeyed
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo su - USER ??? How to??

Hi folks, Here is my question of the day 8-) I have to provide the ability to sudo su - orapd2 & sudo su - pd2adm for the following people User A, B, C, D which all of them are part of the group staff. orapd2 and pd2adm are also users. Users A, B, C, D should not type the password for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 300zxmuro
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scp + sudo

There are two servers, server A and B. User alpha has read/write permission for server A but can only logon to server B . For read write permission on server B user alpha has to use Sudo -u beta command I want to copy a file from server A to server B. How can I combine sudo and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjones
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo for Non-Admin User

Can a user who is not an admin be added to sudoers to allow them to elevate to root and run administrative tasks only from the command line by using sudo, but not be able to perform administrative tasks in any other capacity? ---------- Post updated at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous update was at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo su - user not working

Hi All, I need your expertise to solve my problem, my account has permission to make sudo and su but when I try to switch user in a shell, it does not work with following message: "Sorry, user jmbeltra is not allowed to execute '/usr/bin/su -c echo HELLO THERE - oracle' as root on dbbr1k01" I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Axtel
4 Replies

9. AIX

Sudo to other user

Hello All, I am trying to grant sudo privileges to a set of users (say tom and jerry) to sudo to another set of users (jim, harry). This is because we don't want to disclose the password of jim and harry. I did defined the user_alias and runas alias. %wms ALL = (USR) /usr/bin/su -, where wms... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibmtech
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to scp File from root user in one server to say crt user in another server and avoid password?

Can someone help in writing some script through which I can transfer file (scp) from root user in abc server to crt user in hfg server and can give the crt user password in script itself so that it doesn't prompt me every time for password (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moon1234
4 Replies
lshell(1)						      General Commands Manual							 lshell(1)

NAME
lshell - Limited Shell SYNOPSIS
lshell [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
lshell provides a limited shell configured per user. The configuration is done quite simply using a configuration file. Coupled with ssh's authorized_keys or with /etc/shells and /etc/passwd , it becomes very easy to restrict user's access to a limited set of command. OPTIONS
--config <FILE> Specify config file --log <DIR> Specify the log directory -h, --help Show help message --version Show version CONFIGURATION
You can configure lshell through its configuration file: On Linux -> /etc/lshell.conf On *BSD -> /usr/{pkg,local}/etc/lshell.conf lshell configuration has 4 types of sections: [global] -> lshell system configuration (only 1) [default] -> lshell default user configuration (only 1) [foo] -> UNIX username "foo" specific configuration [grp:bar] -> UNIX groupname "bar" specific configuration Order of priority when loading preferences is the following: 1- User configuration 2- Group configuration 3- Default configuration [global] logpath config path (default is /var/log/lshell/) loglevel 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 (0: no logs -> 4: logs everything) logfilename - set to syslog in order to log to syslog - set log file name, e.g. %u-%y%m%d (i.e foo-20091009.log): %u -> username %d -> day [1..31] %m -> month [1..12] %y -> year [00..99] %h -> time [00:00..23:59] syslogname in case you are using syslog, set your logname (default: lshell) [default] and/or [username] and/or [grp:groupname] aliases command aliases list (similar to bash's alias directive) allowed a list of the allowed commands or set to 'all' to allow all commands in user's PATH allowed_cmd_path a list of path; all executable files inside these path will be allowed env_path update the environment variable $PATH of the user (optional) env_vars set environment variables (optional) forbidden a list of forbidden characters or commands history_file set the history filename. A wildcard can be used: %u -> username (e.g. '/home/%u/.lhistory') history_size set the maximum size (in lines) of the history file home_path (deprecated) set the home folder of your user. If not specified, the home directory is set to the $HOME environment variable. This variable will be removed in the next version of lshell, please use your system's tools to set a user's home directory. A wildcard can be used: %u -> username (e.g. '/home/%u') intro set the introduction to print at login passwd password of specific user (default is empty) path list of path to restrict the user geographically. It is possible to use wildcards (e.g. '/var/log/ap*'). prompt set the user's prompt format (default: username) %u -> username %h -> hostname prompt_short set sort prompt current directory update - set to 1 or 0 overssh list of command allowed to execute over ssh (e.g. rsync, rdiff- backup, scp, etc.) scp allow or forbid the use of scp connection - set to 1 or 0 scpforce force files sent through scp to a specific directory scp_download set to 0 to forbid scp downloads (default is 1) scp_upload set to 0 to forbid scp uploads (default is 1) sftp allow or forbid the use of sftp connection - set to 1 or 0 sudo_commands a list of the allowed commands that can be used with sudo(8) timer a value in seconds for the session timer strict logging strictness. If set to 1, any unknown command is considered as forbidden, and user's warning counter is decreased. If set to 0, command is considered as unknown, and user is only warned (i.e. *** unknown synthax) warning_counter number of warnings when user enters a forbidden value before getting exited from lshell. Set to -1 to disable the counter, and just warn the user. SHELL BUILTIN COMMANDS
Here is the set of commands that are always available with lshell: clear clears the terminal help, ? print the list of allowed commands history print the commands history lpath lists all allowed and forbidden path lsudo lists all sudo allowed commands EXAMPLES
$ lshell Tries to run lshell using default ${PREFIX}/etc/lshell.conf as configuration file. If it fails a warning is printed and lshell is interrupted. lshell options are loaded from the configuration file $ lshell --config /path/to/myconf.file --log /path/to/mylog.log This will override the default options specified for configuration and/or log file USE CASE
The primary goal of lshell, was to be able to create shell accounts with ssh access and restrict their environment to a couple a needed commands. In this example, User 'foo' and user 'bar' both belong to the 'users' UNIX group: User foo: - must be able to access /usr and /var but not /usr/local - user all command in his PATH but 'su' - has a warning counter set to 5 - has his home path set to '/home/users' User bar: - must be able to access /etc and /usr but not /usr/local - is allowed default commands plus 'ping' minus 'ls' - strictness is set to 1 (meaning he is not allowed to type an unknown command) In this case, my configuration file will look something like this: # CONFIURATION START [global] logpath : /var/log/lshell/ loglevel : 2 [default] allowed : ['ls','pwd'] forbidden : [';', '&', '|'] warning_counter : 2 timer : 0 path : ['/etc', '/usr'] env_path : ':/sbin:/usr/bin/' scp : 1 # or 0 sftp : 1 # or 0 overssh : ['rsync','ls'] aliases : {'ls':'ls --color=auto','ll':'ls -l'} [grp:users] warning_counter : 5 overssh : - ['ls'] [foo] allowed : 'all' - ['su'] path : ['/var', '/usr'] - ['/usr/local'] home_path : '/home/users' [bar] allowed : + ['ping'] - ['ls'] path : - ['/usr/local'] strict : 1 scpforce : '/home/bar/uploads/' # CONFIURATION END NOTES
In order to log a user's warnings into the logging directory (default /var/log/lshell/) , you must firt create the folder (if it doesn't exist yet) and chown it to lshell group: # addgroup --system lshell # mkdir /var/log/lshell # chown :lshell /var/log/lshell # chmod 770 /var/log/lshell then add the user to the lshell group: # usermod -aG lshell user_name In order to set lshell as default shell for a user: On Linux: # chsh -s /usr/bin/lshell user_name On *BSD: # chsh -s /usr/{pkg,local}/bin/lshell user_name AUTHOR
Currently maintained by Ignace Mouzannar (ghantoos) EMAIL
Feel free to send me your recommendations at <ghantoos@ghantoos.org> v0.9.15 March 13, 2012 lshell(1)