Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How perform search & replace with pattner that contains \n? Post 302210050 by siegfried on Monday 30th of June 2008 02:03:59 AM
Old 06-30-2008
How perform search & replace with pattner that contains \n?

In emacs I perform a non-regex search and replace where the pattern is

'
+ '

and the replacement text length is zero. Note that the first and last characters in the search pattern are apostrophes.

How can I write a bash script to automate this search and replace using something like perl, sed or awk (or plain bash?).

Thanks!
Siegfried

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vi search & replace functions

I'm trying to do a global search and replace in vi. I am trying to replace a string, call it "BOB" with a carriage return and can't seem to find a reference to it. Command syntax s%/BOB/???/g What would I substitute the "???" with? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: barnettdk
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help, sed search&replace

Plzzzz, tell me some script about this... What does this mean ? sed '/^ */s///' sed '/^/s// /' and why it's diferent ??? sed '/ */s// /g' and sed 's/ */ /g'. It's all the same ??? Thanks you very much (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mle
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & replace

Is there any way we can achieve search & replace with awk? I could achieve the same with sed in following way - sed 's/A/B/g' file1 > file2 But the same regex if I try with using awk following way, awk 's/A/B/g' file1 > file2 it gives me Syntax error. I strongly believe I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: videsh77
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with search & replace

I have a file that has some accent characters in it when viewed in some text editors, but when viewed in vi they come in as ~R and ~U. I need to make a script to remove these characters from the file, but have been unsuccessful. I am not sure how sed or awk, or something similar is viewing them,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tcovert
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search & Replace

Hi , I ahve a text file which has several instances of the text such as run_time: 09:30 I need to add double quotes before and after the time value i.e: run_time: "09:30" Any suggestions on how to go about the same (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jobbyjoseph
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stuck with Search & Replace

Hi I'm trying to replace a string in the files ending with *.txt Unable to get the sed to do the job. any help would be appreciated :) I'm on SunOS #!/bin/bash startdirectory={$HOME}/pp_test searchterm="change" replaceterm="CHANGE" echo $searchterm echo $replaceterm for file in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mqueue
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

search & replace pattern

Hi, My problem is that I have to search a changing pattern and replace it with the wild card char "*" i/p: 99_*_YYYYMMDD_SRC.txt.tar.gz o/p: 99_*_*_SRC.txt.tar.gz The problem is that YYYYMMDD pattern is not static. It could be YYYYMMDDHHMI or could be YYYYMMDDHHMISS. Can... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace

Hi all Please can you help me with a script to check several files for the following string: encoding=""and replace it with: encoding="UTF-8"I did the following, : #!/bin/sh string1="encoding=""" string2="encoding="UTF-8" sed 's/'"$string1"'/'"$string2"'/g'but does not work. Please can... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse through ~21,000 Database DDL statements -- Fastest way to perform search, replace and insert

Hello All: We are looking to search through 2000 files with around 21,000 statements where we have to search, replace and insert a pattern based on the following: 1) Parse through the file and check for CREATE MULTISET TABLE or CREATE SET TABLE statements.....and they always end with ON... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace

Hi Gurus, I have two files. I want to read sessoin_name from the file1 and replace $Param4 & $Param5 in file2 with connection_name in specified in file1. The file1 will have data in following format File 1 session_name,connection_name s_abcd,Listener_2 s_def,Listener_1 source file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
7 Replies
RE_COMP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							RE_COMP(3)

NAME
re_comp, re_exec - BSD regex functions SYNOPSIS
#define _REGEX_RE_COMP #include <sys/types.h> #include <regex.h> char *re_comp(char *regex); int re_exec(char *string); DESCRIPTION
re_comp() is used to compile the null-terminated regular expression pointed to by regex. The compiled pattern occupies a static area, the pattern buffer, which is overwritten by subsequent use of re_comp(). If regex is NULL, no operation is performed and the pattern buffer's contents are not altered. re_exec() is used to assess whether the null-terminated string pointed to by string matches the previously compiled regex. RETURN VALUE
re_comp() returns NULL on successful compilation of regex otherwise it returns a pointer to an appropriate error message. re_exec() returns 1 for a successful match, zero for failure. CONFORMING TO
4.3BSD. NOTES
These functions are obsolete; the functions documented in regcomp(3) should be used instead. SEE ALSO
regcomp(3), regex(7), GNU regex manual COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
1995-07-14 RE_COMP(3)