Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD How can install the FreeBSD on desktop!! Post 302209550 by johnney on Friday 27th of June 2008 09:43:03 AM
Old 06-27-2008
How can install the FreeBSD on desktop!!

SmilieHello everyone,I'm a new FreeBSD user,I don't know how to intall the BSD on desktop,please help me ~~ Thanks~~Smilie
This User Gave Thanks to johnney For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

FreeBSD Install error

Not entirely sure if this belongs here but here it is. I am installing FreeBSD, downloaded the ISO from their website, created the Bootdisk. And when I try to boot, I get this error, 'Panic, Couldn't Inialize. Will not continue without Inialization'. I get the prompt telling me that it will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fmarvez
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Install FreeBSD 4.5

Hi, everyone. Last night I tried to install FreeBSD Unix 4.5 to my compaq desktop. During the installation, it showed some message says some devices "collaped". Does it mean my computer not support unix, or I need to config those data? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
7 Replies

3. BSD

FreeBSD 5.4 Install

sup everyone, i am having trouble installing freebsd 5.4 when i'm done installing freebsd, it came out like this screen shot 1 then i typed startx, it came out like this.. screen shot 2 i don't think it's normal.. so i went with "exit", it came out like this screen shot 3 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royal
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I'm looking for a 64-bit Desktop that will run Windows, Linspire, FreeBSD and Solaris

Ok, I've been shopping around and I've seen some nice one's, but they are either too expensive or they are not 64-bit; I want to be prepared for the future at the right price (under $3,000 with a decent configuration)! :D Where can I find a good 64-bit desktop or workstation that will run the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr. Nice Guy
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to install FreeBSD without loosing my data?

hi. I am newbie in Unix. I wanted to install Free BSD 5.2.1 to my computer which winXp was already installed. But i couldn't. I chose Standard. Then it said you are going to use dos style fdisk partitioning. Then a window displayed begining like this. WARNING: A geometry of 155127/16/63 for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sualcavab
0 Replies

6. BSD

Install Gnome 2.22 in FreeBSD

at root command line # pkg_add -r gnome2 This will download the latest GNOME 2.22 packages from the FreeBSD FTP site, and proceed to install them on your system. Up-to-date GNOME packages for i386 and amd64 for all supported versions of FreeBSD are also available from the GNOME Tinderbox.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: very9music
0 Replies

7. Programming

Petsc install on desktop with 2 cpu

Hi! everyone I need to install petsc with MPI on my desktop. I followed the instructions of petsc home page. But, whenever I ran make, I saw messabe "error", also I can't work for complie and execution. Install cygwin. download petsc-2.3.3.-p15.tar.gz cd /home/myhome/soft... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kdh1971
0 Replies

8. BSD

Installing ports upon FreeBSD install

I use DesktopBSD (FreeBSD + KDE) and regularly install this on our machines. Currently I go to the package manager to install the ports, but what shell command can I enter instead right after BSD install to install the ports? Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to install bsdpan-* on freeBSD 7.1

Hi Experts, I have installed freeBSD 7.1. then I installed perl-5.8.8_1 from Ports, I read somewhere that If I install perl from port then it will automatically install bsdpan. But it did not work out. Practical Extraction and Report Language postgresql-plperl-8.3.3_1 Write SQL... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukundranjan
0 Replies

10. Solaris

How to install Solaris-desktop?

Hello, I am trying to install solaris desktop in solaris pkg install Solaris-desktop it say insufficient access to complete the required operation privileged user what does this mean? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riteshkakkar
14 Replies
XDG-DESKTOP-ICON(1)													       XDG-DESKTOP-ICON(1)

NAME
xdg-desktop-icon - command line tool for (un)installing icons to the desktop SYNOPSIS
xdg-desktop-icon install [--novendor] FILE xdg-desktop-icon uninstall FILE xdg-desktop-icon {--help --manual --version} DESCRIPTION
The xdg-desktop-icon program can be used to install an application launcher or other file on the desktop of the current user. An application launcher is represented by a *.desktop file. Desktop files are defined by the freedesktop.org Desktop Entry Specification. The most important aspects of *.desktop files are summarized below. COMMANDS
install Installs FILE to the desktop of the current user. FILE can be a *.desktop file or any other type of file. uninstall Removes FILE from the desktop of the current user. OPTIONS
--novendor Normally, xdg-desktop-icon checks to ensure that a *.desktop file to be installed has a vendor prefix. This option can be used to disable that check. A vendor prefix consists of alpha characters ([a-zA-Z]) and is terminated with a dash ("-"). Companies and organizations are encouraged to use a word or phrase, preferably the organizations name, for which they hold a trademark as their vendor prefix. The purpose of the vendor prefix is to prevent name conflicts. --help Show command synopsis. --manual Show this manualpage. --version Show the xdg-utils version information. DESKTOP FILES
An application launcher can be added to the desktop by installing a *.desktop file. A *.desktop file consists of a [Desktop Entry] header followed by several Key=Value lines. A *.desktop file can provide a name and description for an application in several different languages. This is done by adding a language code as used by LC_MESSAGES in square brackets behind the Key. This way one can specify different values for the same Key depending on the currently selected language. The following keys are often used: Value=1.0 This is a mandatory field to indicate that the *.desktop file follows the 1.0 version of the specification. Type=Application This is a mandatory field that indicates that the *.desktop file describes an application launcher. Name=Application Name The name of the application. For example Mozilla GenericName=Generic Name A generic description of the application. For example Web Browser Comment=Comment Optional field to specify a tooltip for the application. For example Visit websites on the Internet Icon=Icon File The icon to use for the application. This can either be an absolute path to an image file or an icon-name. If an icon-name is provided an image lookup by name is done in the user's current icon theme. The xdg-icon-resource command can be used to install image files into icon themes. The advantage of using an icon-name instead of an absolute path is that with an icon-name the application icon can be provided in several different sizes as well as in several differently themed styles. Exec=Command Line The command line to start the application. If the application can open files the %f placeholder should be specified. When a file is dropped on the application launcher the %f is replaced with the file path of the dropped file. If multiple files can be specified on the command line the %F placeholder should be used instead of %f. If the application is able to open URLs in addition to local files then %u or %U can be used instead of %f or %F. For a complete oveview of the *.desktop file format please visit http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards/desktop-entry-spec ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
xdg-desktop-icon honours the following environment variables: XDG_UTILS_DEBUG_LEVEL Setting this environment variable to a non-zero numerical value makes xdg-desktop-icon do more verbose reporting on stderr. Setting a higher value increases the verbosity. EXIT CODES
An exit code of 0 indicates success while a non-zero exit code indicates failure. The following failure codes can be returned: 1 Error in command line syntax. 2 One of the files passed on the command line did not exist. 3 A required tool could not be found. 4 The action failed. 5 No permission to read one of the files passed on the command line. SEE ALSO
xdg-icon-resource(1) EXAMPLES
The company ShinyThings Inc. has developed an application named "WebMirror" and would like to add a launcher for for on the desktop. The company will use "shinythings" as its vendor id. In order to add the application to the desktop there needs to be a .desktop file for the application: shinythings-webmirror.desktop: [Desktop Entry] Encoding=UTF-8 Type=Application Exec=webmirror Icon=shinythings-webmirror Name=WebMirror Name[nl]=WebSpiegel Now the xdg-desktop-icon tool can be used to add the webmirror.desktop file to the desktop: xdg-desktop-icon install ./shinythings-webmirror.desktop To add a README file to the desktop as well, the following command can be used: xdg-desktop-icon install ./shinythings-README AUTHOR
Kevin Krammer, Jeremy White. <kevin.krammer@gmx.at> <jwhite@codeweavers.com> xdg-utils 1.0 06/24/2007 XDG-DESKTOP-ICON(1)