Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: multithreading on OSX
Top Forums Programming multithreading on OSX Post 302209383 by eBay on Thursday 26th of June 2008 07:25:05 PM
Old 06-26-2008
OT: A Helpful Class

I've been out of the game for a while with C++ but as I read your post, I was reminded of some classes I wrote to manage multiple threads. Also, Bartosz Milewski of Reliable Software - Creators of the distributed version control system, Code Co-op wrote a really cool critical section class wrapper that totally protects against accidentally leaving a lock in place. His discussion of how resource management is the key to reliable message driven software was well done and he had numerous ways to protect against leaving resources open or laying around that would cause memory leaks or hangs. Here it is:
Code:
// CriticalSection.h
// 
// A class using Resource Management technique(RM: see 
// http://www.relisoft.com/resource/resource.html for
// discussion) to handle critical section code that 
// guarantees no memory leaks or open locks.
//
// Revision Log
//
// Date       Who SAR     Notes
// ========== === ======= =====================================
//                        (c) Reliable Software, 1997, 98
//                        Bartosz Milewski, www.relisoft.com
// 

#ifdef SAMPLE_CODE

// somewhere with the resource to protect
   CCriticalSection _critSect;

// later in the code...
   {
      CLock lock(_critSect);
      // perform action which may throw
      myVar += 10;
      // guaranteed automatic destructor of lock
      // when it goes out of scope
   }
}
#endif

#ifndef RFC_CRITICAL_SECTION_H
#define RFC_CRITICAL_SECTION_H

#include <windows.h>

class CCriticalSection
{
   friend class CLock;
public:
   CCriticalSection() { InitializeCriticalSection(&_critSectStruct); }
   ~CCriticalSection() { DeleteCriticalSection(&_critSectStruct); }
private: 
   // these must only be used by CLock object, never directly
   void Enter() { EnterCriticalSection(&_critSectStruct); }
   void Leave() { LeaveCriticalSection(&_critSectStruct); }

CCriticalSection(CCriticalSection& o); // not allowed
   CCriticalSection& operator=(CCriticalSection& o); // not allowed

CRITICAL_SECTION _critSectStruct;
};

class CLock 
{
public:
    CLock(CCriticalSection& critSect) 
        : _critSectObj(critSect) 
    {
        _critSectObj.Enter();
    }
    ~CLock()
    {
        _critSectObj.Leave();
    }
private:
    CCriticalSection & _critSectObj;
};

#endif

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Multithreading in Pro*C

:confused: Hi! I have created a Multhreaded Application in Pro*C (using pthreads) with about 5 Threads running simultaneously. The Application is basically to Update a Centralized Table in Oracle, which updates different rows in the Table (Each Thread updates different rows!). The... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaik786
16 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

multithreading in UNIX

Hi, Can you please give me a suitable reference to learn multithreading programming in C in UNIX? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multithreading program

Hi I need to insert 1million records into MySQL database, but it is taking lot of time as there is no bulk insert support. I want to spawn 10 processes which will insert 100k records each parallely. Can somebody help me with a example program to execute this task through shell scripting. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sach_roger
5 Replies

4. Programming

MultiThreading using Pthreads

Situation: i have multiple pthread_create calls like this: pthread_create(...., ThreadFunc1,.....); pthread_create(...., ThreadFunc2,.....); . . which i am using to create multiple threads.All the "ThreadFunc<i>" functions are actually calling same function "Receive" of a class using same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sastra
3 Replies

5. IP Networking

how to do udp broadcast with multithreading

hello to all i want to use multithreading to my UDP broadcast server client program. will anyone help me by proving C code. i am working in fedora. also my requirement is POSIX compliance.please help me..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moti12
0 Replies

6. Programming

how to do udp broadcast with multithreading

hello to all i want to use multithreading to my UDP broadcast server client program. will anyone help me by proving C code. i am working in fedora. also my requirement is POSIX compliance.please help me..... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moti12
6 Replies

7. Programming

Multithreading in reading file

Dear all, I am having a huge XML file, as below structure <EMPLOYEE> <RECORD id =aaa> <Salary>99999</Salary> <section>ssss</section> </RECORD> <RECORD id =bbb> <Salary>77777</Salary> <section>ssss</section> </RECORD> </EMPLOYEE> This is a 50 GB file I want to read this file in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
9 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Alarm interrupt and multithreading

Hi Friends any know how became a friend in this Android Programming Language (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ljarun
0 Replies

9. Programming

Help with multithreading

I take this question of the The Linux Programming Interface: A Linux and Unix System Programming page 652 exercise 30.1 I want someone to explain the under line statement because it sounds complex to me couldn't understand anything 30-1 Modify the program (thread_incr.c) so that each loop in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
3 Replies
Wx::Thread(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     Wx::Thread(3)

NAME
Thread - using wxPerl with threads SYNOPSIS
# the order of these use()s is important use threads; use threads::shared; use Wx; my $DONE_EVENT : shared = Wx::NewEventType; my $worker = threads->create( &work ); # create frames, etc my $frame = Wx::Frame->new( ... ); EVT_COMMAND( $frame, -1, $DONE_EVENT, &done ); $app->MainLoop; sub done { my( $frame, $event ) = @_; print $event->GetData; } sub work { # ... do stuff, create a shared $result value my $threvent = new Wx::PlThreadEvent( -1, $DONE_EVENT, $result ); Wx::PostEvent( $frame, $threvent ); } # event handler sub OnCreateThread { # @_ = () is necessary to avoid "Scalars leaked" my( $self, $event ) = @_; @_ = (); threads->create( ... ); } DESCRIPTION
Threaded GUI application are somewhat different from non-GUI threaded applications in that the main thread (which runs the GUI) must never block. Also, in wxWidgets, no thread other than the main thread can manipulate GUI objects. This leads to a hybrid model where worker threads must send events to the main thread in order to change the GUI state or signal their termination. Order of module loading It's necessary for "use Wx" to happen after <use threads::shared>. Sending events from worker threads "Wx::PlThreadEvent" can be used to communicate between worker and GUI threads. The event can carry a shared value between threads. my $DONE_EVENT : shared = Wx::NewEventType; sub work { # ... do some stuff my $progress = new Wx::PlThreadEvent( -1, $DONE_EVENT, $progress ); Wx::PostEvent( $frame, $progress ); # ... do stuff, create a shared $result value my $end = new Wx::PlThreadEvent( -1, $DONE_EVENT, $result ); Wx::PostEvent( $frame, $end ); } The target of the event can be any "Wx::EvtHandler" Receiving events from worker threads "Wx::PlThreadEvent" is a command event and can be handled as such. The "->GetData" method can be used to retrieve the shared data contained inside the event. my $DONE_EVENT : shared = Wx::NewEventType; EVT_COMMAND( $frame, -1, $DONE_EVENT, &done ); sub done { my( $frame, $event ) = @_; print $event->GetData; } Creating new threads Creating new threads from event handlers works without problems except from a little snag. In order not to trigger a bug in the Perl interpreter, all event handler that directly or indirectly cause a thread creation must clean @_ before starting the thread. For example: sub OnCreateThread { my( $self, $event ) = @_; @_ = (); threads->create( ... ); } failure to do that will cause "scalars leaked" warnings from the Perl interpreter. perl v5.10.0 2007-04-28 Wx::Thread(3)