Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: multithreading on OSX
Top Forums Programming multithreading on OSX Post 302209383 by eBay on Thursday 26th of June 2008 07:25:05 PM
Old 06-26-2008
OT: A Helpful Class

I've been out of the game for a while with C++ but as I read your post, I was reminded of some classes I wrote to manage multiple threads. Also, Bartosz Milewski of Reliable Software - Creators of the distributed version control system, Code Co-op wrote a really cool critical section class wrapper that totally protects against accidentally leaving a lock in place. His discussion of how resource management is the key to reliable message driven software was well done and he had numerous ways to protect against leaving resources open or laying around that would cause memory leaks or hangs. Here it is:
Code:
// CriticalSection.h
// 
// A class using Resource Management technique(RM: see 
// http://www.relisoft.com/resource/resource.html for
// discussion) to handle critical section code that 
// guarantees no memory leaks or open locks.
//
// Revision Log
//
// Date       Who SAR     Notes
// ========== === ======= =====================================
//                        (c) Reliable Software, 1997, 98
//                        Bartosz Milewski, www.relisoft.com
// 

#ifdef SAMPLE_CODE

// somewhere with the resource to protect
   CCriticalSection _critSect;

// later in the code...
   {
      CLock lock(_critSect);
      // perform action which may throw
      myVar += 10;
      // guaranteed automatic destructor of lock
      // when it goes out of scope
   }
}
#endif

#ifndef RFC_CRITICAL_SECTION_H
#define RFC_CRITICAL_SECTION_H

#include <windows.h>

class CCriticalSection
{
   friend class CLock;
public:
   CCriticalSection() { InitializeCriticalSection(&_critSectStruct); }
   ~CCriticalSection() { DeleteCriticalSection(&_critSectStruct); }
private: 
   // these must only be used by CLock object, never directly
   void Enter() { EnterCriticalSection(&_critSectStruct); }
   void Leave() { LeaveCriticalSection(&_critSectStruct); }

CCriticalSection(CCriticalSection& o); // not allowed
   CCriticalSection& operator=(CCriticalSection& o); // not allowed

CRITICAL_SECTION _critSectStruct;
};

class CLock 
{
public:
    CLock(CCriticalSection& critSect) 
        : _critSectObj(critSect) 
    {
        _critSectObj.Enter();
    }
    ~CLock()
    {
        _critSectObj.Leave();
    }
private:
    CCriticalSection & _critSectObj;
};

#endif

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Multithreading in Pro*C

:confused: Hi! I have created a Multhreaded Application in Pro*C (using pthreads) with about 5 Threads running simultaneously. The Application is basically to Update a Centralized Table in Oracle, which updates different rows in the Table (Each Thread updates different rows!). The... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaik786
16 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

multithreading in UNIX

Hi, Can you please give me a suitable reference to learn multithreading programming in C in UNIX? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multithreading program

Hi I need to insert 1million records into MySQL database, but it is taking lot of time as there is no bulk insert support. I want to spawn 10 processes which will insert 100k records each parallely. Can somebody help me with a example program to execute this task through shell scripting. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sach_roger
5 Replies

4. Programming

MultiThreading using Pthreads

Situation: i have multiple pthread_create calls like this: pthread_create(...., ThreadFunc1,.....); pthread_create(...., ThreadFunc2,.....); . . which i am using to create multiple threads.All the "ThreadFunc<i>" functions are actually calling same function "Receive" of a class using same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sastra
3 Replies

5. IP Networking

how to do udp broadcast with multithreading

hello to all i want to use multithreading to my UDP broadcast server client program. will anyone help me by proving C code. i am working in fedora. also my requirement is POSIX compliance.please help me..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moti12
0 Replies

6. Programming

how to do udp broadcast with multithreading

hello to all i want to use multithreading to my UDP broadcast server client program. will anyone help me by proving C code. i am working in fedora. also my requirement is POSIX compliance.please help me..... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moti12
6 Replies

7. Programming

Multithreading in reading file

Dear all, I am having a huge XML file, as below structure <EMPLOYEE> <RECORD id =aaa> <Salary>99999</Salary> <section>ssss</section> </RECORD> <RECORD id =bbb> <Salary>77777</Salary> <section>ssss</section> </RECORD> </EMPLOYEE> This is a 50 GB file I want to read this file in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
9 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Alarm interrupt and multithreading

Hi Friends any know how became a friend in this Android Programming Language (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ljarun
0 Replies

9. Programming

Help with multithreading

I take this question of the The Linux Programming Interface: A Linux and Unix System Programming page 652 exercise 30.1 I want someone to explain the under line statement because it sounds complex to me couldn't understand anything 30-1 Modify the program (thread_incr.c) so that each loop in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
3 Replies
Ns_CritSec(3aolserver)					   AOLserver Library Procedures 				    Ns_CritSec(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
, Ns_CsDestroy, Ns_CsEnter, Ns_CsInit, Ns_CsLeave - Manage and use critical section locks SYNOPSIS
#include "ns.h" void Ns_CsDestroy(Ns_Cs *csPtr) void Ns_CsEnter(Ns_Cs *csPtr) void Ns_CsInit(Ns_Cs *csPtr) void Ns_CsLeave(Ns_Cs *csPtr) _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Critical section locks are used to prevent more than one thread from executing a specific section of code at one time. They are implemented as "objects", which simply means that memory is allocated to hold the lock state. They can also be called "sychronization objects". While a thread is executing a critical section of code, all other threads that want to execute that same section of code must wait until the lock surrounding that critical section has been released. This is crucial to prevent race conditions which could put the server into an unknown state. For example, if a section of code frees a pointer and then decrements a counter that stores how many pointers exist, it is possible that the counter value and the actual number of pointers may be different. If another section of the server relies on this counter and reads it when the pointer has been freed, but the counter has not yet been decremented, it could crash the server or put it into an unknown state. Critical section locks should be used sparingly as they will adversely impact the performance of the server or module. They essentially cause the section of code they enclose into behaving in a single-threaded manner. If a critical section executes slowly or blocks, other threads that must execute that section of code will begin to block as well until the critical section lock is released. You will normally want to wrap sections of code that are used to both read and write values, create and destroy pointers and structures or otherwise look at or modify data in the system. Use the same named lock for both read and write operations on the same data. Threads that are waiting for a critical section lock to be released do not have to poll the lock. The critical section lock functions use thread condition functions to signal when a lock is released. Ns_CsDestroy(csPtr) Destroy a critical section object. Note that you would almost never need to call this function as synchronization objects are typi- cally created at startup and exist until the server exits. The underlying objects in the critical section are destroyed and the critical section memory returned to the heap. Ns_CsEnter(csPtr) Lock a critical section object, initializing it first if needed. If the critical section is in use by another thread, the calling thread will block until it is no longer so. Note that critical sections are recursive and must be exited the same number of times as they were entered. Ns_CsInit(csPtr) Initialize a critical section object. Memory will be allocated to hold the object's state. Ns_CsLeave(csPtr) Unlock a critical section once. A count of threads waiting to enter the critical section is kept, and a condition is signaled if this is the final unlock of the critical section so that other threads may enter the critical section. SEE ALSO
nsd(1), info(n), Ns_MasterLock(3), Ns_MasterUnlock(3), Ns_CondDestroy(3), Ns_CondSignal(3), Ns_CondWait(3), Ns_MutexLock(3), Ns_MutexUn- lock(3) KEYWORDS
AOLserver 4.0 Ns_CritSec(3aolserver)