Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users hi Please try to find an answer to this Post 302209247 by daveisme on Thursday 26th of June 2008 09:38:18 AM
Old 06-26-2008
vi history file

The issue is that the .vi_history file found in the users home directory has the wrong owner and or group.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailx and awk- didn't find an answer KSH

Hi folks, My input file's content: You are line1 You are line2 You are line3 etc... I need to write a script that for every line, it will send an e-mail and the body will hold the line: Output(The e-mail that will be sent): First e-mail: To: aaa Subject: bbb Body:You are line1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellsd
4 Replies

2. AIX

Cannot find answer - stop queueing messages?

My root mail fills up very quickly because we have hundreds of remote printers and whenever a job is deleted, moved or a printer is down, up, sidways (jk) the queueing system drops root and email. It fills up super fast and is causing a problem. Rembak is the backend but i cannot find a way... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertaguirre
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

urgent answer these please

Hi, Please explain what does '$*' mean. what does the command cd /~abc do, especially what does '~' mean? cheers. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uni_ajay_r
1 Replies

4. Programming

can any one answer ????

Q.1 Diffrence between terminal and pseudo-terminal ? Q.2 What is terminal login ? What is a netwok Login ? Q.3 What is meant by baud rate of a terminal ? Q.4 which structure is used for job control in Unix/Linux ?and where these structure are means in which directory ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobile01
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Can anybody answer this.....

Hi i am trying the threads concept in unix environment using C... but i am getting error of "wait_fd: Couldn't find procinfo for fd 24"... what does this error mean..... help me in solving this issue... Thanks in advance shivamasam (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivamasam
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Answer them if u can...

Try to answer these questions on Unix: 1.what will be the segment() function do? 2.How Unix is more powerful than Windows? 3.Where ownership details will be stored of a particular file in Unix? 4.State different uses of ^ symbol in regular expressions. 5.What does export command used for?... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreambig
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help me to answer this

Hello everyone I update my question. Thanks for your reply joeyg If I type the last command and send to a text file. I get this last >usuarios.txt root pts/0 160.40.35.277 May 22 11:08 still logged in. root pts/0 alopez02 May 22 09:23 - 10:11 (00:47) root pts/0 160.40.35.277 May 20... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can any one please answer these questions

6.nohup cmn is used to Prot execn of pgm frm aborting when hangup s/g is rxd Not hangup modem Disconn a node frm s/m Chng execn prev of pgm .wat is the o/p? Cut -d”” -f3 file1/sort -r Display 3rd col of file 1 in asc order Disp 3rd col of file 1 in desc Not ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techguru
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I welcome all to answer my Q's

Hi everyone,, I am new to the forum...but not to Unix. I have gathered few questions from my mates who attended interviews in various companies as I have to attend one on dec 3rd for Sys admin position. Please respond with the answers you know and also help with various other interview... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: impawan
2 Replies
STRMODE(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						STRMODE(3)

NAME
strmode -- convert inode status information into a symbolic string LIBRARY
Utility functions from BSD systems (libbsd, -lbsd) SYNOPSIS
#include <bsd/string.h> void strmode(mode_t mode, char *bp); DESCRIPTION
The strmode() function converts a file mode (the type and permission information associated with an inode, see stat(2)) into a symbolic string which is stored in the location referenced by bp. This stored string is eleven characters in length plus a trailing NUL. The first character is the inode type, and will be one of the following: - regular file b block special c character special d directory l symbolic link p fifo s socket w whiteout ? unknown inode type The next nine characters encode three sets of permissions, in three characters each. The first three characters are the permissions for the owner of the file, the second three for the group the file belongs to, and the third for the ``other'', or default, set of users. Permission checking is done as specifically as possible. If read permission is denied to the owner of a file in the first set of permis- sions, the owner of the file will not be able to read the file. This is true even if the owner is in the file's group and the group permis- sions allow reading or the ``other'' permissions allow reading. If the first character of the three character set is an ``r'', the file is readable for that set of users; if a dash ``-'', it is not read- able. If the second character of the three character set is a ``w'', the file is writable for that set of users; if a dash ``-'', it is not writable. The third character is the first of the following characters that apply: S If the character is part of the owner permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by the owner, and the set-user-id bit is set. S If the character is part of the group permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by the group, and the set-group-id bit is set. T If the character is part of the other permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by others, and the ``sticky'' (S_ISVTX) bit is set. s If the character is part of the owner permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by the owner, and the set- user-id bit is set. s If the character is part of the group permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by the group, and the set- group-id bit is set. t If the character is part of the other permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by others, and the ``sticky'' (S_ISVTX) bit is set. x The file is executable or the directory is searchable. - None of the above apply. The last character is a plus sign ``+'' if any there are any alternate or additional access control methods associated with the inode, other- wise it will be a space. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), find(1), stat(2), getmode(3), setmode(3) HISTORY
The strmode() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD
July 28, 1994 BSD