Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Counting occurence of a particular character on each line Post 302209178 by hey_mak on Thursday 26th of June 2008 05:56:01 AM
Old 06-26-2008
Hi Radoulov, Thank you very much for your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting occurence of a coma

I have a .csv file that I would like to count on each line the occurences of the coma. Each line should have the same amount, but as an integrity check I would like to include in my script this count. What is the best way of doing this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting the occurence of particular characters

I want to list the occurence of particular characters in a line. my file looks like this a,b,c,d e,f,g h,y:e,g,y s f;g,s,w and I want to count how many commas are in each line so the file in the end looks like this: a,b,c,d 3 e,f,g 2 h,y:e,g,y s 3 f;g,s,w ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Audra
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

First occurence of character in a file

Hi All I have the following contents in a file say in a file name called 'FILE1' *********** Start of the file ************** SANDIO000456GROJ8900 SANDIO2338923GRJH900 *********** End of the file ******************* I want to cut the first line which has the characters.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to count the occurence of a character in a line

Suppose i have data like :- 1,2,3,4,5 a,b,c x,y,z,t I want to count the occurence of , (comma) in every line. Waiting for a solution.:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumit207
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count the occurence of a character in a line

Suppose i have data like :- 1,2,3,4,5 a,b,c x,y,z,t I want to count the occurence of , (comma) in every line. Waiting for a solution. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit207
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find index of last occurence of a character within a string

I need to find the index of last '|' (highlighted in bold) in awk : |ifOraDatabase.Lastservererr<>0then|iferr_flag<>0then|end if Please suggest a way... Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyan321
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting the occurence of a word

In a file I have to count a particular word. like i need apache how many times. I tried this $ tr "\011" "\012\012"<foo1 | tr -cd "" |sort\uniq -c but I got result like this 32 apache 18 dns 12 doctor Please sugest me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pranabrana
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to identify the occurence of a pattern between a unique character?

hi, is it possible to find the number of occurences of a pattern between two paranthesis. for e.g i have a file as below. >>{ >>hi >>GoodMorning >>how are you? >>} >>is it good, >>tell me yes, if it is good In the above file, its clear the occurence of word "Good"... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: divak
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting based on occurence of a Character at fixed position

I have a requirement where i need to split a file based on occurence of a character which is present at a fixed position. Description is as below: 1. The file will be more than 1 Lakh records. 2. Each line will be of fixed length of 987 characters. 3. At position 28 in each line either 'C' or... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neelkanth
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - remove begin of line up to the third and including occurence of character

hello. How to remove all characters in a line from first character ( a $ ) until and including the third occurrence of that character ( $ ). Any help is welcome. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
10 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)