Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Counting occurence of a particular character on each line Post 302209164 by hey_mak on Thursday 26th of June 2008 04:26:42 AM
Old 06-26-2008
Counting occurence of a particular character on each line

Hi,
I have the following data in a flat file:
Code:
abcd_efgh_ijkl_20080522.dat|20080602222508|1357

I need to check the no. of occurence of "|" (pipe) on each line and the output should look like below:
Code:
2|abcd_efgh_ijkl_20080522.dat|20080602222508|1357

where the first line is the no. of occurence of Pipe on each line.

Can anyone help me on this?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 06-26-2008 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting occurence of a coma

I have a .csv file that I would like to count on each line the occurences of the coma. Each line should have the same amount, but as an integrity check I would like to include in my script this count. What is the best way of doing this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting the occurence of particular characters

I want to list the occurence of particular characters in a line. my file looks like this a,b,c,d e,f,g h,y:e,g,y s f;g,s,w and I want to count how many commas are in each line so the file in the end looks like this: a,b,c,d 3 e,f,g 2 h,y:e,g,y s 3 f;g,s,w ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Audra
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

First occurence of character in a file

Hi All I have the following contents in a file say in a file name called 'FILE1' *********** Start of the file ************** SANDIO000456GROJ8900 SANDIO2338923GRJH900 *********** End of the file ******************* I want to cut the first line which has the characters.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to count the occurence of a character in a line

Suppose i have data like :- 1,2,3,4,5 a,b,c x,y,z,t I want to count the occurence of , (comma) in every line. Waiting for a solution.:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumit207
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count the occurence of a character in a line

Suppose i have data like :- 1,2,3,4,5 a,b,c x,y,z,t I want to count the occurence of , (comma) in every line. Waiting for a solution. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit207
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find index of last occurence of a character within a string

I need to find the index of last '|' (highlighted in bold) in awk : |ifOraDatabase.Lastservererr<>0then|iferr_flag<>0then|end if Please suggest a way... Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyan321
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting the occurence of a word

In a file I have to count a particular word. like i need apache how many times. I tried this $ tr "\011" "\012\012"<foo1 | tr -cd "" |sort\uniq -c but I got result like this 32 apache 18 dns 12 doctor Please sugest me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pranabrana
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to identify the occurence of a pattern between a unique character?

hi, is it possible to find the number of occurences of a pattern between two paranthesis. for e.g i have a file as below. >>{ >>hi >>GoodMorning >>how are you? >>} >>is it good, >>tell me yes, if it is good In the above file, its clear the occurence of word "Good"... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: divak
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting based on occurence of a Character at fixed position

I have a requirement where i need to split a file based on occurence of a character which is present at a fixed position. Description is as below: 1. The file will be more than 1 Lakh records. 2. Each line will be of fixed length of 987 characters. 3. At position 28 in each line either 'C' or... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neelkanth
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - remove begin of line up to the third and including occurence of character

hello. How to remove all characters in a line from first character ( a $ ) until and including the third occurrence of that character ( $ ). Any help is welcome. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
10 Replies
ARP2ETHERS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     ARP2ETHERS(8)

NAME
arp2ethers - convert arpwatch address database to ethers file format SYNOPSIS
arp2ethers [ arp.dat file ] DESCRIPTION
arp2ethers converts the file /var/lib/arpwatch/arp.dat (or the file specified on the command line) into ethers(5) format on stdout. Usu- ally arp.dat is an ethernet/ip database file generated by arpwatch(8). The arpwatch daemon in Debian will create different arp.dat depend- ing on its configuration. All of them will be available at /var/lib/arpwatch/. FILES
/var/lib/arpwatch - default directory for arp.dat arp.dat - ethernet/ip address database SEE ALSO
arpwatch(8), ethers(5), rarp(8), arp(8), BUGS
Please send bug reports to arpwatch@ee.lbl.gov. AUTHORS
Original version by Craig Leres of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Network Research Group, University of California, Berkeley, CA. Modified for the Debian Project by Peter Kelemen, with additions from Erik Warmelink. The current version is available via anonymous ftp: ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/arpwatch.tar.gz This manual page was contributed by Hugo Graumann. ARP2ETHERS(8)