Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux chown files/directories for multiple computers Post 302208945 by Texasone on Wednesday 25th of June 2008 11:08:38 AM
Old 06-25-2008
chown files/directories for multiple computers

I have a flash drive this I store files on, but I need the whole drive to be password protected. I was thinking of making the drive root permissions, but I'm not sure if that will need the root password of the computer from which I transfered the files from or the root password of the computer I'm using. Is this a better solution, or is there a way to add a password that is not root or group/user tied, kinda like the password protection on Windows PC?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP multiple files to different directories

The script below is written to ftp files to different directories on the destination server, but I'm not sure whether I have written the code correctly or not. Can anyone help me on this? #!/bin/sh FILE_NAMES="FileA FileB FileC" SERVER=xxxx USERID=abcd PASSWD=xxxxx... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: abrd600
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for files in multiple directories

I want to search for a file pattern in more than one directory. How I need to do that? Here is the scenario: I am having a directory structure like the following: /log ...../20051001 ..........ftp_server_20051001.log ..........ftp_down_server.log ..........ftp_up_server.log... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravikirankethe
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

get files from multiple directories using FTP

Hi, I need to download multiple files in multiple directores from other Unix server. The files could have been created by differnet user. I can use root account but I want the preserve the owner and time of the remote file. Need help on how I can do this using FTP. Thanks, Amit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit1209
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cd to multiple directories and gzipping files within

I am working on a Korn shell script that will cd into multiple directories that are listed in a flat file and gzip the contents of each directory. So far, this is what I have: 1) Find the 4 largest directories and place them into the file foo du -sk /some/directory/* | sort -rn | head -4... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunsysadm2003
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CHOWN Multiple Files

We have a test and training directory. The test is a copy of training. We need to change the ownership and group for a list of specific files from the training directory. Is there a way to feed the CHOWN command the list of files we need changed? We are performing the CHOWN as root. Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Teganii
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP multiple files from multiple directories

I have multiple files that starts as TRADE_LOG spread across multiple folders in the given structure.. ./dir1/1/TRADE_LOG*.gz ./dir2/10/TRADE_LOG*.gz ./dir11/12/TRADE_LOG*.gz ./dir12/13/TRADE_LOG*.gz when I do ftp uisng mput from the "." dir I am getting the below given error mput... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasperl
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perform 3 awk commands to multiple files in multiple directories

Hi, I have a directory /home/datasets/ which contains a bunch (720) of subdirectories called hour_1/ hour_2/ etc..etc.. in each of these there is a single text file called (hour_1.txt in hour_1/ , hour_2.txt for hour_2/ etc..etc..) and i would like to do some text processing in them. Each of... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarn
20 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with zipping files in multiple directories

I'm trying to zip multiple files from within certain directories which are named out. find . -name "*_out -print | xargs zip * I get this error : A file or directory in the path name does not exist how do I get this to work from within my KSH script? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bperl1967
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count files between multiple directories

Hi All, Everyday we will receive 33 files in our source directory(/prd/pk) with the current date. Once our jobs are completed all the 33 files immediately will be moved to backup folder (/prd/pk/backup). Now, I need to check between source file directory (/prd/pdk) and backup file directory... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh_target
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress Files in Multiple Directories

I would like to compress the files in multiple directories. For some reason, it only compress the first directory (/Sanbox/logs1) but not the rest of the other directories ("/Sanbox/logs2" "/Sanbox/logs3" "/Sanbox/logs4" ). Any help would be appreciated. Here's my code: #!/bin/bash... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Loc
1 Replies
d_passwd(4)							   File Formats 						       d_passwd(4)

NAME
d_passwd - dial-up password file SYNOPSIS
/etc/d_passwd DESCRIPTION
A dial-up password is an additional password required of users who access the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The correct pass- word must be entered before the user is granted access to the computer. d_passwd is an ASCII file which contains a list of executable programs (typically shells) that require a dial-up password and the associ- ated encrypted passwords. When a user attempts to log in on any of the ports listed in the dialups file (see dialups(4)), the login program looks at the user's login entry stored in the passwd file (see passwd(4)), and compares the login shell field to the entries in d_passwd. These entries determine whether the user will be required to supply a dial-up password. Each entry in d_passwd is a single line of the form: login-shell:password: where login-shell The name of the login program that will require an additional dial-up password. password An encrypted password. Users accessing the computer through a dial-up port or modem using login-shell will be required to enter this password before gaining access to the computer. d_passwd should be owned by the root user and the root group. The file should have read and write permissions for the owner (root) only. If the user's login program in the passwd file is not found in d_passwd or if the login shell field in passwd is empty, the user must sup- ply the default password. The default password is the entry for /usr/bin/sh. If d_passwd has no entry for /usr/bin/sh, then those users whose login shell field in passwd is empty or does not match any entry in d_passwd will not be prompted for a dial-up password. Dial-up logins are disabled if d_passwd has only the following entry: /usr/bin/sh:*: EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample d_passwd file. Here is a sample d_passwd file: /usr/lib/uucp/uucico:q.mJzTnu8icF0: /usr/bin/csh:6k/7KCFRPNVXg: /usr/bin/ksh:9df/FDf.4jkRt: /usr/bin/sh:41FuGVzGcDJlw: Generating An Encrypted Password The passwd (see passwd(1)) utility can be used to generate the encrypted password for each login program. passwd generates encrypted pass- words for users and places the password in the shadow (see shadow(4)) file. Passwords for the d_passwd file will need to be generated by first adding a temporary user id using useradd (see useradd(1M)), and then using passwd(1) to generate the desired password in the shadow file. Once the encrypted version of the password has been created, it can be copied to the d_passwd file. For example: 1. Type useradd tempuser and press Return. This creates a user named tempuser. 2. Type passwd tempuser and press Return. This creates an encrypted password for tempuser and places it in the shadow file. 3. Find the entry for tempuser in the shadow file and copy the encrypted password to the desired entry in the d_passwd file. 4. Type userdel tempuser and press Return to delete tempuser. These steps must be executed as the root user. FILES
/etc/d_passwd dial-up password file /etc/dialups list of dial-up ports requiring dial-up passwords /etc/passwd password file /etc/shadow shadow password file SEE ALSO
passwd(1), useradd(1M), dialups(4), passwd(4), shadow(4) WARNINGS
When creating a new dial-up password, be sure to remain logged in on at least one terminal while testing the new password. This ensures that there is an available terminal from which you can correct any mistakes that were made when the new password was added. SunOS 5.10 2 Sep 2004 d_passwd(4)