Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Find pattern in a file and erase it Post 302208890 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 25th of June 2008 07:54:04 AM
Old 06-25-2008
My bad - you want 'next', not continue.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

erase file

I have a file that always generated in the system eg. /tmp/log.txt , it is generated by the application program , but this file should not be present in the system otherwise there are some program problem , I want to erase this file once the program has generate it , as I know , it can link to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find this pattern in a file

hi all i have a file in my box, which is so huge and full file is in a single line. In this file i have to look for a pattern "ABC01234567" In this above mentioned pattern ABC is fixed and number might change . it will a eight digit random number Thanks so much for all you help ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prateek007
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string in textfile, erase $num lines after that string

I have a textfile containing text similar to the following pattern: STRING1 UNIQUE_STRING1 STRING2 STRING3 STRING4 STRING5 STRING1 UNIQUE_STRING2 STRING2 STRING3 STRING4 STRING5 STRING1 UNIQUE_STRING3 STRING2 STRING3 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilcsfe
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find a pattern in file

Hi, I would like to find a pattern in a file as follows: I would like to find "or" "OR" "and" "AND" between two numeric values. I have tried this: grep '**or*' But does not work. Appreciate help on this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find a pattern from an external file in a directory containing multiple file recursively

Hi, Need your help in this. I have an input file that has multiple enrollment_number, somewhat like 1234567 8901234 9856321 6732187 7623465 Now i have to search and delete these enrollment_number recursively from all the files that are within multiple sub-directories of a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find file of particular pattern

Hi All, I have a file PSU_ 20130805_201308041234522 i want to search this file where variable day=20130805 and curday=20130804 after currday date some numbers will be added.how to search this file by using day and curday. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pracheth
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a file with a specific pattern for current sysdate & upon find email the details?

I need assistance with following requirement, I am new to Unix. I want to do the following task but stuck with file creation date(sysdate) Following is the requirement I need to create a script that will read the abc/xyz/klm folder and look for *.err files for that day’s date and then send an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PreetArul
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find and rename of particular pattern in file.?

Hi Guys, I have folder called /input/temp. Inside the folder I have lot of files. I need to find the file of pattern Article_????_test_?????????.txt and replace by format below. Article_????_?????????.txt Below is the one which I tried but it doesn't works can you please help us.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vinoth Kumar G
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -- Find pattern -- print remainder -- plus lines up to pattern -- Minus pattern

The intended result should be : PDF converters 'empty line' gpdftext and pdftotext?xml version="1.0"?> xml:space="preserve"><note-content version="0.1" xmlns:/tomboy/link" xmlns:size="http://beatniksoftware.com/tomboy/size">PDF converters gpdftext and pdftotext</note-content>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klasform
9 Replies
BADSECT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						BADSECT(8)

NAME
badsect -- create files to contain bad sectors SYNOPSIS
/etc/badsect bbdir sector ... DESCRIPTION
Badsect makes a file to contain a bad sector. Normally, bad sectors are made inaccessible by the standard formatter, which provides a for- warding table for bad sectors to the driver; see bad144(8) for details. If a driver supports the bad blocking standard it is much preferable to use that method to isolate bad blocks, since the bad block forwarding makes the pack appear perfect, and such packs can then be copied with dd(1). The technique used by this program is also less general than bad block forwarding, as badsect can't make amends for bad blocks in the i-list of file systems or in swap areas. On some disks, adding a sector which is suddenly bad to the bad sector table currently requires the running of the standard DEC formatter. Thus to deal with a newly bad block or on disks where the drivers do not support the bad-blocking standard badsect may be used to good effect. Badsect is used on a quiet file system in the following way: First mount the file system, and change to its root directory. Make a directory BAD there. Run badsect giving as argument the BAD directory followed by all the bad sectors you wish to add. (The sector numbers must be relative to the beginning of the file system, but this is not hard as the system reports relative sector numbers in its console error mes- sages.) Then change back to the root directory, unmount the file system and run fsck(8) on the file system. The bad sectors should show up in two files or in the bad sector files and the free list. Have fsck remove files containing the offending bad sectors, but do not have it remove the BAD/nnnnn files. This will leave the bad sectors in only the BAD files. Badsect works by giving the specified sector numbers in a mknod(2) system call, creating an illegal file whose first block address is the block containing bad sector and whose name is the bad sector number. When it is discovered by fsck it will ask ``HOLD BAD BLOCK ?'' A posi- tive response will cause fsck to convert the inode to a regular file containing the bad block. SEE ALSO
bad144(8), fsck(8), format(8) DIAGNOSTICS
Badsect refuses to attach a block that resides in a critical area or is out of range of the file system. A warning is issued if the block is already in use. BUGS
If more than one sector which comprise a file system fragment are bad, you should specify only one of them to badsect, as the blocks in the bad sector files actually cover all the sectors in a file system fragment. HISTORY
The badsect command appeared in 4.1BSD. 4th Berkeley Distribution June 5, 1993 4th Berkeley Distribution