Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Comparing column of variable length anf fixed width file Post 302208651 by Franklin52 on Tuesday 24th of June 2008 01:51:53 PM
Old 06-24-2008
To print the 3th field in a fixed column of 20 characters you can use printf instead of print:

Code:
printf("%s % s%20s\n", $1, $2, a[$1)

Regards

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining Two fixed width columns to a variable length file

Hi, I have two files. File1: File1 contains two fixed width columns ID of 15 characters length and Name is of 100 characters length. ID Name 1-43<<11 spaces>>Swapna<<94 spaces>> 1-234<<10 spaces>>Mani<<96 spaces>> 1-3456<<9 spaces>>Kapil<<95 spaces>> File2: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manneni prakash
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert a tab delimited/variable length file to fixed length file

Hi, all. I need to convert a file tab delimited/variable length file in AIX to a fixed lenght file delimited by spaces. This is the input file: 10200002<tab>US$ COM<tab>16/12/2008<tab>2,3775<tab>2,3783 19300978<tab>EURO<tab>16/12/2008<tab>3,28523<tab>3,28657 And this is the expected... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Everton_Silveir
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing one column of delimited file column to fixed width column

Hi, Iam new to unix. I have one input file . Input file : ID1~Name1~Place1 ID2~Name2~Place2 ID3~Name3~Place3 I need output such that only first column should change to fixed width column of 15 characters of length. Output File: ID1<<12 spaces>>Name1~Place1 ID2<<12... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manneni prakash
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove duplicates based on a column in fixed width file

Hi, How to output the duplicate record to another file. We say the record is duplicate based on a column whose position is from 2 and its length is 11 characters. The file is a fixed width file. ex of Record: DTYU12333567opert tjhi kkklTRG9012 The data in bold is the key on which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Qwerty123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split a fixed width text file into several ones based on a column value?

Hi, I have a fixed width text file without any header row. One of the columns contains a date in YYYYMMDD format. If the original file contains 3 dates, I want my shell script to split the file into 3 small files with data for each date. I am a newbie and need help doing this. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhanja_trinanja
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two fixed width file

Hi Guys I am checking the treads to get the answer but i am not able to get the answer for my question. I have two files. First file is a pattern file and the second file is the file i want to search in it. Output will be the lines from file2. File1: P2797f12af 44751228... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshul_er
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Length of a fixed width file

I have a fixed width file of length 53. when is try to get the lengh of the record of that file i get 2 different answers. awk '{print length;exit}' <File_name> The above code gives me length 50. wc -L <File_name> The above code gives me length 53. Please clarify on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To replace the value of the column in a fixed width file

I have a fixed with file with header & trailer length having the same length of the detail record file. The details record length of this file is 24, for Header and Trailer the records will be padded with spaces to match the record length of the file Currently I am adding 3 spaces in header... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print column details from fixed width file using awk command

hi, i have a fixed width file with multiple columns and need to print data using awk command. i use: awk -F "|" '($5 == BH) {print $1,$2,$3}' <non_AIM target>.txt for a delimiter file. but now i have a fixed width file like below: 7518 8269511BH 20141224951050N8262 11148 8269511BH... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcdg859
5 Replies
printf(3int)															      printf(3int)

Name
       printf, fprintf, sprintf - print formatted output

Syntax
       #include <stdio.h>

int printf ( format [, arg ] ...  )
       char *format;

int fprintf ( stream, format [, arg ] ...  )
       FILE *stream;
       char *format;

int sprintf ( s, format [, arg ] ...  )
       char *s, *format;

Description
       The  international functions and are similar to the standard I/O functions. The difference is that the international functions allow you to
       use the %digit$ conversion character in place of the % character you use in the standard I/O functions. The digit is a decimal digit n from
       1 to 9.	The international functions apply conversions to the n th argument in the argument list, rather than to the next unused argument.

You can use the % conversion character in the international functions.  However, you cannot mix the % conversion character with the %digit$
       conversion character in a single call.

You can indicate a field width or precision by an asterisk (*) instead of a digit string in format  strings  containing	the  %	conversion
       character.  If you use an asterisk, you can supply an integer arg that specifies the field width or precision. In format strings containing
       the %digit$ conversion character, you can indicate field width or precision by the sequence *digit$.  You use a decimal digit from 1  to  9
       to indicate which argument contains an integer that specifies the field width or precision.

The conversion characters and their meanings are identical to

You must use each digit argument at least once.

In  all	cases, the radix character uses is defined by the last successful call to category If category has not been called successfully or
       if the radix character is undefined, the radix character defaults to a period (.).

International Environment
       LC_NUMERIC     If this environment is set and valid, uses the international language database named in the definition  to  determine  radix
		      character rules.

LANG	      If  this environment variable is set and valid uses the international language database named in the definition to determine
		      collation and character classification rules.  If is defined, its definition supercedes the definition of LANG.

Examples
       The following example illustrates using an argument to specify field width:
       printf ("%1$d:%2$.*3$d:%4$.*3$d
",
			   hour, min, precision, sec);
       The format string *3$ indicates that the third argument, which is named precision, contains the integer field width specification.

To print the language independent date and time format use the following statement:
       printf (format, weekday, month, day, hour, min);
       For American use, format could be a pointer to the following string:
       "%1$s,  %2$s %3$d, %4$d:%5$.2d
"
       This string gives the following date format:
       Sunday, July 3, 10:02
       For use in a German environment, format could be a pointer to the following string:
       "%1$s, %3$d. %2$s, %4$d:%5$.2d
"
       This string gives the following date format:
       Sonntag, 3. Juli, 10:02

Return Values
       and return zero for success and EOF for failure.  The subroutine returns its first argument for success and EOF for failure.

In the System V and POSIX environments, and return the number of characters transmitted for success.  The function ignores the null  termi-
       nator () when calculating the number of characters transmitted.  If an output error occurs, these routines return a negative value.

See Also
       intro(3int), setlocale(3), scanf(3int), printf(3s), putc(3s), scanf(3s), stdio(3s)
       Guide to Developing International Software

printf(3int)