Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help in find and replace.
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Help in find and replace. Post 302208590 by zaxxon on Tuesday 24th of June 2008 10:08:31 AM
Old 06-24-2008
Quote:
perl -i.bak -pe's/(password=").*?"/$1abcd"/' tomcat-users.xml
Strange that $1 is substituted while enclose by single quotation marks, which prevent that for shell variables.

If you tend to use sed instead of perl (I am not that familiar with perl) you can just write something like (just an example):
Code:
sed 's/(password=").*?"/'${1}${enpasswds}'"/' tomcat-users.xml  > newfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and replace

I have statement like this column_id.columnname=="value" in unix i want to modify above statement to variable1=="value" that means i have to replace the string before "==" by string "variable1" second catch is, in statement instead of "==" you can have any arithmatic comarision... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahabunta
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Please help with find and replace:

Hi I am trying to find a product code hightlighted in red, and re-insert it at another place on the same file. I shall be grateful if anyone can help me with this. Stuck and have deadline!!:confused: Original Line: (I can get source data in one of these two formats) ISD=977155185403901+DIE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gloovy_tb
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace

Hi, There are some "n" files in a directory which contains comman string.A command to find and replace the string in all the files without looping. like if i am in a directory : # find ./ -name ".txt" | xargs sed -e 's/test/tst' Upto here is performed correctly and i want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakshit
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace

hi, i have a data in a file like below: 100 8388kmn844., 8488 200 8398kmn894., 8398 i want replace from kmn to . as null. output should be 100 8388, 8488 200 8398, 8398 Plz help. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: javeed7
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and replace

I am looking to find and replace a string in a file, can anyone suggest a global find and replace. looked at previous replies on other queries but none seem to address what i am looking for. aint familiar with sed so trying to use ordinary unix commands if possible Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SummitElse
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Replace

Need to convert echo "7 6" to $7,$6 But the count of numbers can increase say echo "7,6,8,9" tried this didn't work echo "7 6" | sed 's/\(*\)/\1/' But did not help much (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
3 Replies

7. Solaris

find/replace?

Dear All To find a file, according to you, I tried as: #find / -name file-name -print To find a string inside the files , I tried as : #find / -name "*" |xargs grep "string" Can you please let me know how can I try for find/replace (i.e. finding the intended string inside the text files... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find/Replace

I have the following requirement in the shell script 1. I have more than 200 shell script files. I need to find out how many shell scripts have "sqlplus /" in the shell file 2. I need to replace all the shell scripts in the single command for example: connect scott/scott replace as ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmsuper
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Replace

i am having a file test1.txt and its contents is as follows. <abcaaa bbb ccc ddd> <dddeeeffff> <my computer> <abcmydocuments> Now I need to find the text abc and should be replaced as follows. <abc> <dddeeeffff> <my computer> <abc> First line has the text "abc" and it has to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace?

Hi All, I have data like below 1 CREATE TABLE temp123 2 ( 3 col1 INTEGER, 4 col2 CHAR(3) CHARACTER SET LATIN NOT CASESPECIFIC, 5 col3 DECIMAL(19,0), 6 col4 VARCHAR(80) CHARACTER SET LATIN NOT CASESPECIFIC, 7 start_dt DAte FORMAT 'YY/MM/DD', 8 end_dt DATE FORMAT 'YY/MM/DD', 9 datecol1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baranisachin
6 Replies
pwconv(1M)																pwconv(1M)

NAME
pwconv - install, update or check the /etc/shadow file SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The command installs or appends with information from or checks for any discrepancies between the contents of the two files. The command without options does the following: 1. Creates the file if it does not exist; otherwise, it removes all entries for usernames which are not present in 2. For each entry in move the encrypted password and aging information to Entries in which have no encrypted password or aging information will not overwrite information in 3. Writes an "x" in each password field of the file, to indicate that the password and aging information reside in the file. The command relies on a special value of "x" in the password field of A value different from "x" will prompt to move the password and aging information into the corresponding fields of and then replace the password field in with an "x". If no aging information exists in for a user, none will be added to However, the last change field, which indicates when the password was last modified, will always be updated (default is current date). See shadow(4). Options The following options are recognized: Verbose output. Test mode. prints error information but does not modify nor Notes The command can only be used by the superuser. HP recommends running before See pwck(1M). A system which has been converted to a trusted system has no file. In this case, can be used with no options to update the secure password facility to reflect any changes made in the file. RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: Successful completion. Conversion error occurred. WARNINGS
HP-UX 11i Version 3 is the last release to support trusted systems functionality. FILES
system password file shadow password file secure password facility SEE ALSO
pwck(1M), pwunconv(1M), passwd(4), shadow(4). pwconv(1M)