Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find and replace in a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find and replace in a file Post 302208458 by vinay123 on Tuesday 24th of June 2008 02:28:32 AM
Old 06-24-2008
Find and replace in a file

Hi everyone,
I am new to the world of shell script programming.

I have a file named Fnd1.txt which has the contents as below.
I need to replace the \t with the tab space. Can any one help me
to write a perl scipt for this.

USA45V1\tG\t341029
USAV1T1\tG\t450545
USAREJ1\tG\t572645
USAIX11\tG\t705650

The file sholud like this.
USA45V1 G 341029
USAV1T1 G 450545
USAREJ1 G 572645
USAIX11 G 705650

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find replace within a file?

I build several files by using the cut command to grab select fields(columns) from a really bid csv file. Each file is one column of data. I then put them together using paste command. Here is the code built in tcsh: cut -d , -f 1 some.csv > 1.csv cut -d , -f 10 some.csv > 10.csv paste 1.csv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yankee428
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace in a gz file

Is there a way to do a find and replace in a .gz file in a single script ? I can always unzip, find and replace and then zip it again but would hate to do this everytime. Thanks ! Vivek (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vashah
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selectively Find/Replace in a file?

I have a file that is HTML encoded. Each line has something like this on each line.. <href=http://link.com/username.aspx>username </a> more info.. <a href=http://link.com/info1.aspx>info1</a> more code... <a href=http://link.com/info2.aspx>info2</a> I have one goal really.. to clean up the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragin33
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a certain string in a file and replace it with a value from another file using sed/awk?

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and new to sed/awk programming too !! I need to find particular string in file1(text file) and replace it with a value from another text file(file2) the file2 has only one line and the value to be replaced with is in the second column. file 1: (assert (=... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
21 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and Replace then rename file

Hi, This is probably quite simple for an expert, but I keep getting confused about the best approach, grep, awk, sed. What I have is a range of files numbered 1 to 100. They go file1.txt file2.txt and so on In each file I need to find and replace a couple of items and rename add a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chickenhouse
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Replace in File

Legends, I have a file /tmp/list.txt I want to find "/bin/" and replace it with "/log/" I tried the follwoing but no luck Sandy: /tmp> perl -pi -e 's/\/bin\/\/log\/' /tmp/list.txt >> /tmp/try Substitution pattern not terminated at -e line 1. AND, Sandy: /tmp> perl -pi -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace a line in a file

Hi, I am want find and replace in following content in the file. i want to repalce a word TABLESPACE XCRM_<ANY_CHAR> to TABLESPACE XCRM Sample File to Replace : LOB(COMPLEX_VALUE) STORE AS ( TABLESPACE XCRM_MED_D_NEW STORAGE(INITIAL 64K BUFFER_POOL DEFAULT) ENABLE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavemani
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace last line in a file

Hi I am having a file which has like this content shown below Aaa,bb,cc,dd Xxx,yy,d,12 Dodd,12-Jun,t I need to replace last line like this Aaa,bb,cc,dd Xxx,yy,d,12 Dodd,10-August,t (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to read string from file#1 and find/replace in file#2

Hello Forum. I have a file called abc.sed with the following commands; s/1/one/g s/2/two/g ... I also have a second file called abc.dat and would like to substitute all occurrences of "1 with one", "2 with two", etc and create a new file called abc_new.dat sed -f abc.sed abc.dat >... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to find and replace in a file

Hi All, I am having below sample data in a file. I need to find all the line form this file with word ABC and i need to replace the characters at position 120 which is "CO:BOGFDUI"(30chars) in the lines with blank space. I have tried using grep to find the word with ABC (grep ABC filename),... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
3 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)