Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find filenames like unix commands Post 302208454 by s123.radha on Tuesday 24th of June 2008 02:06:41 AM
Old 06-24-2008
u can have a shell script like "search.sh" which accepts a directory name as an argument..

search.sh may look like

#! /bin/sh
DIR_NAME =$1
# u have to search for all the unix files one by one like and write to serach.log file. Below command will do the same for you
#find DIR_NAME name nameoffile > search.log
find DIR_NAME name cat > search.log
find DIR_NAME name grep > search.log

I am also new to linux.. this solution will work but only thing is the script will be as long as set of unix commands u want to find out.

Cheers!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find lowercase filenames

How do I write the command to find all files with any lower case letters in the filename? I have tried find . -name *\(a-z\) and a lot of combinations like that, without success. thanks JP:confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpprial
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix History Question: Why are filenames/dirnames case sentsitive in Unix?

I tried looking for the answer online and came up with only a few semi-answers as to why file and directory names are case sensitive in Unix. Right off the bat, I'll say this doesn't bother me. But I run into tons of Windows and OpenVMS admins in my day job who go batty when they have to deal... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

where i can find list of UNIX commands for daily operations ?

Hi There, Can anyone help, where i can find list of UNIX commands just for regulat day ro day operations Thanx MGR (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgoutham
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Omitting some filenames for commands to process

hello all, this topic might have been discussed but I couldn't find it with searching. I am trying to do a for command that will dos2unix files one by one and save it under directory called backup (backup is in the same directory with other files). When I do: for i in * do dos2unix $i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Find commands

thank you for the help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scooter17
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I need help to find some unix commands

Hey everyone, I need some help for some unix commands. - List all processes in the file "ProcessUser.txt" sorted by the users and in the file "ProcessName.txt" sorted by the name of the process. - How much time does the command "ls -alR /" need and compared to that, how much time is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZOCKER3000
2 Replies

7. Programming

Where to find sources of UNIX commands???

Dear friends, I believe that all unix commands are programs which are written in c language, please correct me if I am wrong. Now suppose that I want to see the c source of common commands like echo, ls, mkdir etc, where I can I find the source, linux is open source I believe, so the source for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to modify a delimited file using UNIX commands. Please find description

i have a '|' delimited file having 4 fields. now i want to sort the data by combination of first three fields without changing order of 4th field. input file looks like this: 3245|G|kop|45 1329|A|uty|76 9878|K|wer|12 3245|G|kop|15 1329|A|uty|56 9878|K|wer|2 3245|G|kop|105... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankurgoyal2408
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Beginner UNIX question. tail and find commands

hey guys, i'm in a unix course.. and while this is a homework question - i did put alittle effort into it. just wanted to ask before trial and error drives me nuts. question 13 has us saving the last 30 characters of a file into another file and question 14 has us saving the list of all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: labelthief
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me to find a solution using UNIX commands

I have the below requirement. below is the content of the input file and my expected result Input file: a.txt <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <Employee> <Name>XXXX</Name> <ID>1233</ID> </Employee> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <Employee> <Name>YYYY</Name> <ID>1345</ID>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
2 Replies
gnome-search-tool(1)					      General Commands Manual					      gnome-search-tool(1)

NAME
gnome-search-tool - the GNOME Search Tool SYNOPSIS
gnome-search-tool [options] or select Search for Files... from a Main Menu or from the Places menu in a Menu Bar DESCRIPTION
GNOME Search Tool is a utility for finding files on your system. To perform a basic search, you can type a filename or a partial filename, with or without wildcards. To refine your search, you can apply additional search options. GNOME Search Tool uses the find, grep, and locate UNIX commands. The case sensitivity of the search depends on your operating system. For example, on Linux, the find, grep, and locate commands support the -i option, so all searches are case-insensitive. For full documentation see the GNOME Search Tool online help. OPTIONS
--help Show help message --named=STRING Set the text of "Name contains" search option --path=PATH Set the text of "Look in folder" search option --sortby=VALUE Sort files by one of the following: name, folder, size, type, or date --descending Set sort order to descending, the default is ascending --start Automatically start a search --contains=STRING Select and set the "Contains the text" search option --mtimeless=DAYS Select and set the "Date modified less than" search option --mtimemore=DAYS Select and set the "Date modified more than" search option --sizemore=KILOBYTES Select and set the "Size at least" search option --sizeless=KILOBYTES Select and set the "Size at most" search option --empty Select the "File is empty" search option --user=USER Select and set the "Owned by user" search option --group=GROUP Select and set the "Owned by group" search option --nouser Select the "Owner is unrecognized" search option --notnamed=STRING Select and set the "Name does not contain" search option --regex=PATTERN Select and set the "Name matches regular expression" search option --hidden Select the "Show hidden and backup files" search option --follow Select the "Follow symbolic links" search option --mounts Select the "Exclude other filesystems" search option AUTHOR
GNOME Search Tool was originally written by George Lebl (<jirka@5z.com>). Version 2 was written by Dennis M. Cranston (<den- nis_cranston@yahoo.com>). This manual page was originally written by Jochen Voss <voss@mathematik.uni-kl.de>. Version 2 was written by Dennis M. Cranston (<den- nis_cranston@yahoo.com>). SEE ALSO
find(1), locate(1), grep(1) gnome-utils 2.27.1 March 16 2009 gnome-search-tool(1)