Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: daemons definition
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting daemons definition Post 302208380 by benefactr on Monday 23rd of June 2008 05:43:42 PM
Old 06-23-2008
This may not be 100% correct but I think pretty close and simple, but daemons are programs that continue to run on your system at all time.... like crond is a daemon for crontab... do a ps -ef | grep root on a box and most of those programs running will be daemons..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

DNS daemons

Does anyone know the command to start the DNS Daemon. I looked in the /etc/init.d/inetsvc file and it tells me what the text should look like. When I go to open the corresponding files they are encoded and I can't read them. So is there a command that will start the DNS daemon? If... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deuce
8 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

root owner of daemons?

Hi all, what happens if i have a service running as root? if it is exploited what would happen? can a hacker actually becomes a hacker and screw up my whole box? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xNYx
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Daemons

MYSQL-daemon don't started automatically by system-start. And same trouble with httpd too. I have SuSE 8.0. What can I do ? Thanks.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pennywize
6 Replies

4. Linux

A doubt on Daemons

Hi there! I'm a bit curious on something about Daemons.... Supose you have two processes say A and B, where B is a daemon. A is totally independent from B. Is there a way for A to find out B's return code? Is there a way for A to find out when B ends? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marioh
4 Replies

5. Solaris

SUN SOLARIS boot: start daemons

Hi, I have a problem on a Solaris 9 server! After a restart some daemons don't start and I have to start them manually! I thing that everything is ok in the /sbin/rc3 script! And if I run manually the "/etc/init.d/xxx start" the services start without problem. I didn't find anything in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ctap
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting daemons at reboot.

I rebooted my server (solaris 5.8) and I had to manually start the cron and mailx daemons. How do I get these to automatically start at reboot? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping and backgroud processes (daemons)

Hello to all, I've a strage problem here: a perl script that parses the output of sar -q 300 0 (one line of performace data each 5 min. infinately) works fine from the CLI. It processes one line output every 5 minutes. If i disconnect it from the terminal (executing it with cron, nohup startporc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: demwz
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

status of daemons

Hi there all, Hey, is there a way to get the status of all daemons running on a HPUX? in an easy way? Like the same way how to vieuw the status of packages in cmviewcl. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: draco
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Command to list down all daemons in Solaris

Hi All, Is there any command to list all running daemons in Solaris. I should able to see only running daemons. Regards, SKumar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nskumar
5 Replies
condor_master(1)					      General Commands Manual						  condor_master(1)

Name
       condor_master The - master Condor Daemon

Synopsis
       condor_master

Description
       This  daemon  is  responsible for keeping all the rest of the Condor daemons running on each machine in your pool. It spawns the other dae-
       mons, and periodically checks to see if there are new binaries installed for any of them. If there are, the condor_masterwill  restart  the
       affected  daemons.  In  addition,  if  any  daemon  crashes, the condor_masterwill send e-mail to the Condor Administrator of your pool and
       restart the daemon. The condor_masteralso supports various administrative  commands  that  let  you  start,  stop  or  reconfigure  daemons
       remotely. The condor_masterwill run on every machine in your Condor pool, regardless of what functions each machine are performing.

Section 3.1.2in the Administrator's Manual has more information about the condor_masterand other Condor daemons. See Section 3.9.2for docu-
       mentation on command line arguments for condor_master.

The  DAEMON_LIST configuration macro is used by the condor_masterto provide a per-machine list of daemons that should be started  and  kept
       running.  For  daemons that are specified in the  DC_DAEMON_LIST configuration macro, the condor_masterdaemon will spawn them automatically
       appending a -fargument. For those listed in  DAEMON_LIST , but not in  DC_DAEMON_LIST , there will be no -fargument.

Options
       -n name

Provides an alternate name for the condor_master to override that given by the  MASTER_NAME configuration variable.

Author
       Condor Team, University of Wisconsin-Madison

Copyright
       Copyright (C) 1990-2012 Condor Team, Computer Sciences Department, University of  Wisconsin-Madison,  Madison,  WI.  All  Rights  Reserved.
       Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0.

See the Condor Version 7.8.2 Manualor http://www.condorproject.org/licensefor additional notices. condor-admin@cs.wisc.edu

September 2012						  condor_master(1)