Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers looping through subdirectories Post 302208378 by er_ashu on Monday 23rd of June 2008 05:36:34 PM
Old 06-23-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYankz
ls -1R|grep :$|sed 's/:$//g'| awk '{print $1"/*"}'|xargs cat > bigfile

ls -1R #recursively searches all files in all subdirectories

grep :$ #will show all lines which end in :, this is a list of all the sub directories.

sed 's/:$//g' #removes the : from the end so you only get the full path of the directories, at this point if you want to limit which sub directories you can put in a grep statement.

awk '{print $1"/*"}' #formats the directory path to include all files in the sub directory you can change that to: awk '{print $1/"*.log"}' if you want log files only.

xargs cat #will run all of the arguments through cat which are piped into it, at this point you'd be running cat on all the files in all your sub directories

then obviously > will pipe it to a file

*edit* and yes i'm very bored at work.
Many thanks........

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search all subdirectories?

Dear All, I want to write the Unix command that searches through all subdirectories, finds the files named ''core'' and deletes them. I will very much appreciate your help. David (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: david_wang
4 Replies

2. Solaris

/home Subdirectories

Hello: Could someone please explain to me how to create a subdirectory in the /home directory. I have tried creating a new user but the default path for a new user is /export/home. I am running Unix 5.8 on a Sun Blade 100. Thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mawalton
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to see all the subdirectories easily?

Suppose I have two directories a and b. Each directory has a few subdirectories, a1 a2 a3 and b1, b2, b3 respectively. Using ls, I can see a and b. Then I need cd a, ls, cd ../b, ls to see all the subdirectories. How to see all the directories and subdirectories easily, say using just one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fld2007
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please help me on how to loop subdirectories

Here is my question in bash for f in f1 f2 do cd $f cd ??? # i need to enter the two layers of sub folders then find the folder named "abcde" ? cd .. # how to get out two layers subdirectories? cd .. done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksgreen
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help me on how to loop subdirectories

Here is my question in bash for f in f1 f2 do cd $f cd ??? # i need to enter the two layers of sub folders then find the folder named "abcde" ? cd .. # how to get out two layers subdirectories? cd .. done (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksgreen
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Testing for subdirectories

Hello, Can anyone help me figure out how to test if the item in the directory is a subdirectory? I'm writing a code to copy all the contents of directory1 to directory2, but I want to skip all the subdirectories. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff different subdirectories

I have 2 directories a/ and b/, they have different subdirectories, how to diff with missing file, or missing subdirectory and if i have in a/ directory "a/ACD/DEF" DEF is a file, but in b/ directory "b/ACD/DEF is a SUBDIRECTORY, how to diff it, thanks my solution for directories, ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: knajta
7 Replies

8. Linux

Stats on subdirectories

Please help me with a shell script to get the stats on many subdirectories (sub1), (sub2) etc under a mother directory (big) /big | |_______sub1 |_______sub2 |_______sub3 --------- I want to know 1. What is the last file accessed in each subdirectory with date and by whom 2.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digipak
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed through all subdirectories?

I found this awesome sed script here: https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/48228-perl-search-string-line-then-search-replace-text.html sed -i '/MatchText/ s/ReplaceMe/REPLACED/' filename Question though to save me manually doing this. How do I do this from a root directory... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astrocloud
6 Replies
ACINCLUDE(1)								GPL							      ACINCLUDE(1)

NAME
acinclude - manual page for ac-archive 0.5.39 SYNOPSIS
acinclude [OPTIONS] ... DESCRIPTION
Generate `acinclude.m4' by scanning `configure.ac' or `configure.in' --acdir=DIR directory holding subdirectories with config files --help print this help, then exit -I DIR add directory to superdir search list for .m4 files . add current directory as superdir to searchlist which is the default if no -I option was given. --output=FILE put output in FILE (default acinclude.m4) --print-ac-dir print name of directory with subdirs holding m4 files --verbose don't be silent --version print version number, then exit Note that unlike aclocal the subdirectories (!!) of the acdir-path are searched for files - the default will find locals as ./*/*.m4 and always search for ac-macros installed as share/aclocal/*/*.m4 which may include the macros from ac-archive or from packages that chose to install multiple files into a subdirectory of share/aclocal. The tool will warn at unresolved symbols starting with AX_ just as the original aclocal program did warn at unresolved macros with AC_. AUTHOR
Written by Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com> modified for acinclude by Guido Draheim <guidod@gmx.de> (C) 2001 REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs with original aclocal to <bug-automake@gnu.org>. Report problems with acinclude to <ac-archive-list@sourceforge.net>. Copyright 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for the ac-macros handled with acinclude is maintained as m4 source and converted to html pages which get installed in doc/ac-archive subdirectories in the filesystem at your site. Have a look. ac-archive 0.5.39 January 2003 ACINCLUDE(1)