Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Trying to empty file using > but the file size increasing when next append Post 302208108 by zaxxon on Monday 23rd of June 2008 03:20:39 AM
Old 06-23-2008
I think it is exact the same size like before after you nulled it, because it is maybe cached by the appl. or something like that. Seems it accepts the writing 1st, but a file handle appears to be still open on that file that revokes the former action somehow. I am no programmer, maybe someone else can explain it in detail.

Quote:
Expand FS means increasing the size of the mount?
Yes, if that's an option for you. The appl. might crash, spit errors or something like that if it runs out of space anyway.

Quote:
I cannot both rely on removing the file or expanding the file. The only solution I can go for is a safe cleanup of this file, without removing or renaming.
You misunderstood me. When you are allowed to get a short downtime maybe once a week, depending on how fast the log is growing, or once per night, whatever, you stop the application graceful, cp that file to a.log.`date %+w` for example, compress it and just null the original like you tried already "> a.log". When your log files are set, start your appl. again.
Write a little script for this and put it as a cronjob - done.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

increasing ufs file system size in solaris

How do i increase the filesystem size on a root partition? There is a slice with root on it, its like 2 gigs and nothing else is broken out except home. I want to increase root filesystem (and slice) and break out /usr and /var. This is solaris 9, only has solaris volume manager on it. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
6 Replies

2. AIX

Increasing File Size on AIX

Hi I am a bit green to AIX - but when our backup operator tries to do a restore from one AIX box to another, he get's the error: 'A file cannot be larger than the value set by ulimit' I am wondering what is the impact of increasing the AIX filesize limit of 2 gb to unlimited. And how would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rosie C
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Help on increasing fs size

Hi Experts, I am not sure whether my question should be in this thread or some other one. I am using HP Tru64 system. Currently one of my filesystem /others is almost full. I need to know the exact commands to increase this filesystem. Please show me how to check for free partitions and add... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingsto88
5 Replies

4. Solaris

increasing file system size

Hi Can anyone explain me how to increase the filesystem size. We can do it when the system is running? It needs an reboot? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix file empty.. but size is greater than zero??/

Hi, I have a file by redirecting some contents in unix shell. Even when there is no content that is being redirected, the file size still shows greater than zero. but even if there is no matching pattern the file APPRES has size greater than 0bytes. awk -f AA.awk $logfile>APPRES... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchill
3 Replies

6. Linux

Increasing total data size per file system request for block drivers

Hi All, I am writing a block driver for a 2GB SD card where i get the total amount of data per request as follows: struct request *req; uint card_addr,total_bytes; struct request_queue *rq = BlkDev->queue; req = elv_next_request(rq); .. .. card_addr = req->sector*512;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amio
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

if file is NOT empty, then append content to file

hi people, i have texts down.txt and down-new.txt and i want to check; - if down-new.txt is NOT empty, then write date and its content to /home/gc_sw/down.txt for example; down.txt:AAAA SSSS down-new.txt:123 456 and after checking down-new.txt is NOT empty, down.txt should... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic link to an empty file shows size 2

Hi, I have created an empty file and a symbolic link to a file. But when I issue the following commands, I am getting the output 2. stat -c "%s" linkfile du -hb linkfile Why this is happening? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Help with increasing file system size in Sun OS 5.9

Hi, I have recently taken up to support these SunOS 5.9 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240 boxes and got a request to increase the size of /backup01 as its getting filled up quickly and can't play much on it as these are production servers. As I have no idea about how to do this, can anyone let me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: phanidhar6039
0 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Script to fill the file system mount with empty files to desired size

We are regularly using for our testing, where we are manually filling up the mount with desired size with following command dd if=/dev/zero of=file_2GB bs=2048000 count=2000 We are planning to automate the task where taking input for % of size as one input and the name of the file system... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandu123
8 Replies
Graphics::Primitive::Component(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		       Graphics::Primitive::Component(3pm)

NAME
Graphics::Primitive::Component - Base graphical unit DESCRIPTION
A Component is an entity with a graphical representation. SYNOPSIS
my $c = Graphics::Primitive::Component->new({ origin => Geometry::Primitive::Point->new({ x => $x, y => $y }), width => 500, height => 350 }); LIFECYCLE
prepare Most components do the majority of their setup in the prepare. The goal of prepare is to establish it's minimum height and width so that it can be properly positioned by a layout manager. $driver->prepare($comp); layout This is not a method of Component, but a phase introduced by the use of Layout::Manager. If the component is a container then each of it's child components (even the containers) will be positioned according to the minimum height and width determined during prepare. Different layout manager implementations have different rules, so consult the documentation for each for details. After this phase has completed the origin, height and width should be set for all components. $lm->do_layout($comp); finalize This final phase provides and opportunity for the component to do any final changes to it's internals before being passed to a driver for drawing. An example might be a component that draws a fleuron at it's extremities. Since the final height and width isn't known until this phase, it was impossible for it to position these internal components until now. It may even defer creation of this components until now. It is not ok to defer all action to the finalize phase. If you do not establish a minimum hieght and width during prepare then the layout manager may not provide you with enough space to draw. $driver->finalize($comp); draw Handled by Graphics::Primitive::Driver. $driver->draw($comp); METHODS
Constructor new Creates a new Component. Instance Methods background_color Set this component's background color. border Set this component's border, which should be an instance of Border. callback Optional callback that is fired at the beginning of the "finalize" phase. This allows you to add some sort of custom code that can modify the component just before it is rendered. The only argument is the component itself. Note that changing the position or the dimensions of the component will not re-layout the scene. You may have weird results of you manipulate the component's dimensions here. class Set/Get this component's class, which is an abitrary string. Graphics::Primitive has no internal use for this attribute but provides it for outside use. color Set this component's foreground color. fire_callback Method to execute this component's "callback". get_tree Get a tree for this component. Since components are -- by definiton -- leaf nodes, this tree will only have the one member at it's root. has_callback Predicate that tells if this component has a "callback". height Set this component's height. inside_bounding_box Returns a Rectangle that defines the edges of the 'inside' box for this component. This box is relative to the origin of the component. inside_height Get the height available in this container after taking away space for padding, margin and borders. inside_width Get the width available in this container after taking away space for padding, margin and borders. margins Set this component's margins, which should be an instance of Insets. Margins are the space outside the component's bounding box, as in CSS. The margins should be outside the border. maximum_height Set/Get this component's maximum height. Used to inform a layout manager. maximum_width Set/Get this component's maximum width. Used to inform a layout manager. minimum_height Set/Get this component's minimum height. Used to inform a layout manager. minimum_inside_height Get the minimum height available in this container after taking away space for padding, margin and borders. minimum_inside_width Get the minimum width available in this container after taking away space for padding, margin and borders. minimum_width Set/Get this component's minimum width. Used to inform a layout manager. name Set this component's name. This is not required, but may inform consumers of a component. Pay attention to that library's documentation. origin Set/Get the origin point for this component. outside_height Get the height consumed by padding, margin and borders. outside_width Get the width consumed by padding, margin and borders. finalize Method provided to give component one last opportunity to put it's contents into the provided space. Called after prepare. padding Set this component's padding, which should be an instance of Insets. Padding is the space inside the component's bounding box, as in CSS. This padding should be between the border and the component's content. page If true then this component represents stand-alone page. This informs the driver that this component (and any children) are to be renderered on a single surface. This only really makes sense in formats that have pages such as PDF of PostScript. prepare Method to prepare this component for drawing. This is an empty sub and is meant to be overridden by a specific implementation. preferred_height Set/Get this component's preferred height. Used to inform a layout manager. preferred_width Set/Get this component's preferred width. Used to inform a layout manager. to_string Get a string representation of this component in the form of: $name $x,$y ($widthx$height) visible Set/Get this component's visible flag. width Set/Get this component's width. AUTHOR
Cory Watson, "<gphat@cpan.org>" BUGS
Please report any bugs or feature requests to "bug-geometry-primitive at rt.cpan.org", or through the web interface at http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Geometry-Primitive <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Geometry-Primitive>. I will be notified, and then you'll automatically be notified of progress on your bug as I make changes. COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2008-2009 by Cory G Watson. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2011-06-02 Graphics::Primitive::Component(3pm)