Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting i need to add missing delimiters... Post 302207921 by obarrett on Saturday 21st of June 2008 06:28:42 PM
Old 06-21-2008
i need to add missing delimiters...

ladies, gents..

say i have a file that should have 10 fields... (9 delimiters)

some records have 10 fields, some have 5 some have 8, etc.. nothing consistent, but i need my file to have 9 delimiters on each line, even if its null fields..

how can i go line by line and add the correct # of delimiters if they are missing..

i have a dirty way... but looking for help on a more elegant solution...

thanks

my ugly way... works fine on small stuff.. but when you have 100's of files, ranging in size from 10 -200 fields.. its just not practical

this example... i expect 4 delimiters on each line...
(i dont need to substitute the delimiters, just used the 1's for ease of reading)

$ cat test.txt

a1b1c1

a1b

a1b1c1

cat test.txt | awk -F1 '{print $1 "|" $2 "|" $3 "|" $4}'

a|b|c|

a|b||

a|b|c|

thanks in advance..

ob

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimiters missing

Hi I have a pipe-delimited file where I eventually need to replace a string stored on the 3th field on a specific record. This is how the file looks like: A|Mike|Lvl 1|... B|... A|Maria|Lvl 1|... C|... B|... A|Jimmy|Lvl 2|... C|... A|Carry|Lvl 0|... C|... B|... A|John|Lvl 8|...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indalecio
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add missing times

Not sure about the title if someone has a better name for it please lemme know and I will edit the title. I have several (10+ files) which look something like: File 1: 12/28/2009 04:0 8 12/28/2009 04:4 4 12/28/2009 05:0 4 . . . File 2: 12/28/2009 04:1 7 12/28/2009 04:2 3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jstrangfeld
2 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

missing delimiters when mysql output is redirected to log file

Hi, Pls check that '|' and '+' present in Step-1 are not copied to log file in Step-3. Pls suggest how to get the exact output from Step-1 (i.e. with out losing '|' and '+') in to a log file ~Thanks Step-1: Execute command > mysql -utest -ptest -htesthost testdb -e "select * from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add missing linefeeds between formfeeds in reports

I need to take a report text file that is output from vendor software and there are some pages which have less then the normal amount of lines. I need to add these missing line feeds as there is a merge program that reads this file in fixed character and line mode template to output the final PDF... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rnygren
6 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

merging files and add missing rows

hello all, I have files that have a specific way for naming the first column they are make of five names in Pattern of 3 Y = (no case sensitive) so the files are names $Y-$Y-$Y or $X-$Y-$Z depending how we look they only exist of the pattern exist now I want to create a file from them that... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
9 Replies

6. Solaris

[solved]Config/enable_mapping missing, how to add?

Issue resolved by upgrading from solaris 11 to solaris 11.1 I would like to enable network mapping. While using instructions from: https://blogs.oracle.com/VDIpier/entry/solaris_11_changing_the_hostname To change my hostname I noticed I am missing the enable mapping bool. What it should... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: taltamir
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Yum - resolving missing dependencies that are not missing

I am trying to install VirtualBox on RHEL 5 but I need the 32 bit version for 32 bit Windows. When I run yum I get the following: sudo yum localinstall /auto/spvtg-it/spvss-migration/Software/VirtualBox-4.3-4.3.2_90405_el6-1.i686.rpm Loaded plugins: fastestmirror Setting up Local Package... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gw1500se
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add missing value?

Hi Gurus, I have a txt file. some record missed 2nd colum value, I need put default value into the file. ex: below file, first 4 records, missed one column (only 4 columns. it should be 5) $cat missedfield aaa,bbb,ccc,fff aaa,bbb,ccc,ddd 111,222,333,444 111,222,333,444... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add word for a missing column

Hi team... I need some help/advise on adding a word for a missing column. I have a file as below. Rep N1 Forever Limited 2015 Rep N2 Limited 2016 since 2nd content is 3 lines missing one line so i need to make this like Rep N1 Forever (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbee5
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add missing date and time in a bash script?

Hi Again, I have a file that contains date and time for the past 2 hours. What i need is add missing date and time in a file. INPUT 2016-01-13 01:33 10 2016-01-13 01:31 10 2016-01-13 01:30 10 2016-01-13 01:29 10 2016-01-13 01:28 10 2016-01-13 01:27 10 2016-01-13 01:26 10 2016-01-13... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ernesto
14 Replies
bufsplit(3GEN)					     String Pattern-Matching Library Functions					    bufsplit(3GEN)

NAME
bufsplit - split buffer into fields SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lgen [ library ... ] #include <libgen.h> size_t bufsplit(char *buf, size_t n, char **a); DESCRIPTION
bufsplit() examines the buffer, buf, and assigns values to the pointer array, a, so that the pointers point to the first n fields in buf that are delimited by TABs or NEWLINEs. To change the characters used to separate fields, call bufsplit() with buf pointing to the string of characters, and n and a set to zero. For example, to use colon (:), period (.), and comma (,), as separators along with TAB and NEWLINE: bufsplit (":., ", 0, (char**)0 ); RETURN VALUES
The number of fields assigned in the array a. If buf is zero, the return value is zero and the array is unchanged. Otherwise the value is at least one. The remainder of the elements in the array are assigned the address of the null byte at the end of the buffer. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Example of bufsplit() function. /* * set a[0] = "This", a[1] = "is", a[2] = "a", * a[3] = "test" */ bufsplit("This is a test ", 4, a); NOTES
bufsplit() changes the delimiters to null bytes in buf. When compiling multithreaded applications, the _REENTRANT flag must be defined on the compile line. This flag should only be used in mul- tithreaded applications. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 29 Dec 1996 bufsplit(3GEN)