Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cutting a portion of a line seperated by pipe delimiter Post 302207889 by jambesh on Saturday 21st of June 2008 12:29:57 PM
Old 06-21-2008
Can you please tell you requirement with one example it is not clear in your post.
If the fils is a delimeter file where the delimeter specified and in which column of parameter file ?

what is 68- ?? should it be 6-8 instead .... Make your requirement clear to assist you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cutting columns if delimiter has more than one charecter

Hi, My file looks like abc$%sdfhs$%sdf$%sdfaf$% here as seen delimiter is $%...now how cas i take out second field as cut command expect delimiter as single charecter only.....is there is any other way thanks and regards mahabunta (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahabunta
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a tab delimiter file

I have a 30 column tab delimited record file. I need to extract the first 10column. The following command to cut was not working cut -f 1-10 -d "\t" filename. Could any one keep on this . Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinod.thayil
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank lines from comma seperated and space seperated file.

Hi, I want to remove empty/blank lines from comma seperated and space seperated files Thanks all for help (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trimming fields for comma or pipe seperated file

I have file like this FileA: abc , "helloworld" , america def,asia, japan ghi, africa, ipl Output Needed: abc,"helloworld",america def,asia,japan ghi,africa,ipl I would like to implement using awk. I want to trim each field for its leading and trailing spaces. (7 Replies)
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting out text from specific portion on filename

Hi, how do I go about cutting out the first numeric characters after the word "access"? access1005101228.merged-00.15.17.86.d8.b8.log.gz (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: GermanJulian
16 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cutting columns if delimiter has more than one charecter (|^)

Hi All, I am having a file with the delimiter '|^'. File name:test_dlim.csv I want to cut the first field of this using awk command. I tried with the help of the following link:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boopathyvasagam
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert comma seperated file to line seperated.

Hi, I have data like this. 1,2,3,4 Output required: 1 2 3 4 I am trying to use tr function but getting error. Help is appreciated. (6 Replies)
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a part of line till delimiter

here are the few scenarios... isoSizeKB text NOT NULL, reserved1 varchar(255), KEY `deviceId` (`deviceId`) `d5` varchar(255) COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci DEFAULT NULL, `dHead` enum('HistoryInfo','Diversion') COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci, `ePR` int(11) DEFAULT '0', PRIMARY KEY (`id`) ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a string using more than one character as delimiter

Hi , I have a set of files in a folder which i need to cut in to two parts.... Sample files touch AE_JUNFOR_2014_MTD_2013-05-30-03-30-02.TXT touch AE_JUNFOR_2014_YTD_2013-05-30-03-30-02.TXT touch temp_AE_JUNFOR_2014_MTD_2013-05-30-03-30-02.TXT touch... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chillblue
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting values with delimiter

Hi All, I have a string with , delimiter america,finland,netherlands Now i want these values to be stored in file as below with newline character at end of each value america finland netherlands Regards Prasad (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
3 Replies
CUT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CUT(1)

NAME
cut - select out columns of a file SYNOPSIS
cut [ -b | -c] list [file...] cut -f list [-d delim] [ -s] OPTIONS
-b Cut specified bytes -c Select out specific characters -d Change the column delimiter to delim -f Select out specific fields that are separated by the -i Runs of delimiters count as one -s Suppres lines with no delimiter characters, when used EXAMPLES
cut -f 2 file # Extract field 2 cut -c 1-2,5 file # Extract character columns 1, 2, and 5 cut -c 1-5,7- file # Extract all columns except 6 DESCRIPTION
[file...]" delimiter character ( see delim)" with the -f option. Lines with no delimiters are passwd through untouched" Cut extracts one or more fields or columns from a file and writes them on standard output. If the -f flag is used, the fields are sepa- rated by a delimiter character, normally a tab, but can be changed using the -d flag. If the -c flag is used, specific columns can be specified. The list can be comma or BLANK separated. The -f and -c flags are mutually exclusive. Note: The POSIX1003.2 standard requires the option -b to cut out specific bytes in a file. It is intended for systems with multi byte characters (e.g. kanji), since MINIX uses only one byte characters, this option is equivalent to -c. For the same reason, the option -n has no effect and is not listed in this man- ual page. SEE ALSO
sed(1), awk(9). CUT(1)