Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: multithreading on OSX
Top Forums Programming multithreading on OSX Post 302207886 by memoid on Saturday 21st of June 2008 12:04:15 PM
Old 06-21-2008
Hi, thanks for the response.

Quote:
One more question, ( sorry if its silly ) do you check/validate the creation of threads ? Since its running in an infinite loop, conditions might go wrong and outbursting with the maximum number of threads that can be created.
I think something like that was happening when I went down the 'create a new thread every loop' approach, which is why I scrapped that idea and went for the 'infinite loop in the thread, but only run the update function when the variable is set' approach.

I think I've actually identified the problem. I think it was the sleep() function in my thread loop. I understand why I need that if the loop is continuously running and doing heavy stuff, but do I need it in my case?

When I comment out the sleep line (As below), the behaviour looks a lot smoother and correct, maybe because as soon as I set the bHasRunThisFrame flag in the thread instance to false, the update function is called almost immediately (which is what I want), whereas with the sleep() function, maybe there was a delay of upto interval before the update kicked in?.... or something :P Is it bad to not have a sleep function in there?

// run the update function in another thread
Code:
void MSAThread::threadedFunction() {						
	while(isThreadRunning()) {
		if( lock() ){
			if(bAutoLoop || !bHasRunThisFrame) {
				update();
				bHasRunThisFrame = true;
				unlock();
//				ofSleepMillis(interval); 
			} else {
				unlock();
			}
		}
	}
}

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Multithreading in Pro*C

:confused: Hi! I have created a Multhreaded Application in Pro*C (using pthreads) with about 5 Threads running simultaneously. The Application is basically to Update a Centralized Table in Oracle, which updates different rows in the Table (Each Thread updates different rows!). The... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaik786
16 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

multithreading in UNIX

Hi, Can you please give me a suitable reference to learn multithreading programming in C in UNIX? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multithreading program

Hi I need to insert 1million records into MySQL database, but it is taking lot of time as there is no bulk insert support. I want to spawn 10 processes which will insert 100k records each parallely. Can somebody help me with a example program to execute this task through shell scripting. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sach_roger
5 Replies

4. Programming

MultiThreading using Pthreads

Situation: i have multiple pthread_create calls like this: pthread_create(...., ThreadFunc1,.....); pthread_create(...., ThreadFunc2,.....); . . which i am using to create multiple threads.All the "ThreadFunc<i>" functions are actually calling same function "Receive" of a class using same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sastra
3 Replies

5. IP Networking

how to do udp broadcast with multithreading

hello to all i want to use multithreading to my UDP broadcast server client program. will anyone help me by proving C code. i am working in fedora. also my requirement is POSIX compliance.please help me..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moti12
0 Replies

6. Programming

how to do udp broadcast with multithreading

hello to all i want to use multithreading to my UDP broadcast server client program. will anyone help me by proving C code. i am working in fedora. also my requirement is POSIX compliance.please help me..... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moti12
6 Replies

7. Programming

Multithreading in reading file

Dear all, I am having a huge XML file, as below structure <EMPLOYEE> <RECORD id =aaa> <Salary>99999</Salary> <section>ssss</section> </RECORD> <RECORD id =bbb> <Salary>77777</Salary> <section>ssss</section> </RECORD> </EMPLOYEE> This is a 50 GB file I want to read this file in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
9 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Alarm interrupt and multithreading

Hi Friends any know how became a friend in this Android Programming Language (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ljarun
0 Replies

9. Programming

Help with multithreading

I take this question of the The Linux Programming Interface: A Linux and Unix System Programming page 652 exercise 30.1 I want someone to explain the under line statement because it sounds complex to me couldn't understand anything 30-1 Modify the program (thread_incr.c) so that each loop in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
3 Replies
thr_suspend(3C) 					   Standard C Library Functions 					   thr_suspend(3C)

NAME
thr_suspend, thr_continue - suspend or continue thread execution SYNOPSIS
cc -mt [ flag... ] file...[ library... ] #include <thread.h> int thr_suspend(thread_t target_thread); int thr_continue(thread_t target_thread); DESCRIPTION
The thr_suspend() function immediately suspends the execution of the thread specified by target_thread. On successful return from thr_sus- pend(), the suspended thread is no longer executing. Once a thread is suspended, subsequent calls to thr_suspend() have no effect. The thr_continue() function resumes the execution of a suspended thread. Once a suspended thread is continued, subsequent calls to thr_con- tinue() have no effect. A suspended thread will not be awakened by any mechanism other than a call to thr_continue(). Signals and the effect of calls tomu- tex_unlock(3C), rw_unlock(3C), sema_post(3C), cond_signal(3C), and cond_broadcast(3C) remain pending until the execution of the thread is resumed by thr_continue(). RETURN VALUES
If successful, the thr_suspend() and thr_continue() functions return 0. Otherwise, a non-zero value is returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
The thr_suspend() and thr_continue() functions will fail if: ESRCH The target_thread cannot be found in the current process. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
thr_create(3C), thr_join(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) WARNINGS
The thr_suspend() function is extremely difficult to use safely because it suspends the target thread with no concern for the target thread's state. The target thread could be holding locks, waiting for a lock, or waiting on a condition variable when it is unconditionally suspended. The thread will not run until thr_continue() is applied, regardless of any calls to mutex_unlock(), cond_signal(), or cond_broadcast() by other threads. Its existence on a sleep queue can interfere with the waking up of other threads that are on the same sleep queue. The thr_suspend() and thr_continue() functions should be avoided. Mechanisms that involve the cooperation of the targeted thread, such as mutex locks and condition variables, should be employed instead. SunOS 5.11 22 Mar 2002 thr_suspend(3C)