Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix doubts
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix doubts Post 302207876 by ravi.sadani19 on Saturday 21st of June 2008 10:54:01 AM
Old 06-21-2008
Question Unix doubts

Hi All,

1. how and who calls .profile when you login
2. what is PPID and what means by PPID = 0

Thanks in Advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix & C doubts

Hi, I have a few doubt here : 1) I want to run a 3 different 'C' programs in same session simulteneously (parelelly). if I make a shell, it is running one after another, I mean it shout run in 3 processors. 2) In 'C' program, how can I assing a value of the unix commant cat a.txt|wc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Unix Administration doubts ********

Hi, Can anyone tell me the correct answers for these: 1. You have 4 instances running on the same UNIX box. How can you determine which shared memory and semaphores are associated with which instance? 2. How do you increase the OS limitation for open files (LINUX and/or Solaris)? Thanks:p (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
1 Replies

3. Programming

Doubts About C Compiler In Unix/linux

As all of you know whenever a program "say a.c" is complied in linux using the gcc or the cc compiler..it shows the list of errors ( if the program contains any).. i want to modify the compier script so as to list the no of errors only and not the description about the error..like" parse error " ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vrs
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix doubts

Hello All, I am very new to UNIX. Please help me to find answers of below questions. 1.A script is saved with name ls. When we execute the script what it will execute? a) Will execute ls command b) Will execute the script c) Will execute script or command depends on the path ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aswathy
2 Replies

5. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

How to post a new thread (Regarding Unix related doubts) in Unix Forums

How to post a new thread (Regarding Unix related doubts) in Unix Forums. I registered my id but I am unable to post my Questions to Forum. Thanks & Regards, indusri (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: indusri
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix doubts

Write unix command to list or view auto links (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashishshah.engg
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

doubts in crontab

Hi All, I am tring to set a shedule for cron to execute my script in every 15 min, n want a mail alert on my mail id if cron fails to get data as input for my script, how can i set that? Thanks in advance Subin (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic doubts related to Unix

Hi all, I have few question related to Unix environment and commands : 1. what is .chrc file contain and if it is not present then what happens. 2. what is .login file contain,in which dir it is present and what all other uses are their for this file 3. how and who calls .profile when you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.sadani19
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Few Important doubts and questions..(Unix/Shell)

Hi All, I have a few questions which I am unable to solve/answer. Please help me with them:- Command in Unix to determine if a Host is connected to the internet ? If a parenet process is killed what happens to the child process? How do I print the first 10 lines of a file in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Unix scripting doubts

i hav a file like this -rwxr-xr-x 1 root controlm 4141 Nov 13 2006 /opt/scripts/prod/fvaauditlos.ksh -rwxr-xr-x 1 root controlm 3958 Nov 13 2006 /opt/scripts/prod/fvaexpchbk1.ksh -rwxr-xr-x 1 root controlm 6471 Nov 13 2006 /opt/scripts/prod/fvaexpchbk2.ksh... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: p_satyambabu
24 Replies
drv_getparm(9F) 					   Kernel Functions for Drivers 					   drv_getparm(9F)

NAME
drv_getparm - retrieve kernel state information SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/ddi.h> int drv_getparm(unsigned int parm, void *value_p); INTERFACE LEVEL
Architecture independent level 1 (DDI/DKI). PARAMETERS
parm The kernel parameter to be obtained. Possible values are: "small and bold"ReadLTthe value of lbolt. lbolt is a clock_t that is unconditionally incremented by one at each clock tick. No special treatment is applied when this value overflows the maximum value of the signed integral type clock_t. When this occurs, its value will be negative, and its magnitude will be decreasing until it again passes zero. It can therefore not be relied upon to provide an indication of the amount of time that passes since the last system reboot, nor should it be used to mark an absolute time in the system. Only the difference between two measurements of lbolt is significant. It is used in this way inside the system kernel for timing purposes. PPGRP Read the process group identification number. This number determines which processes should receive a HANGUP or BREAK signal when detected by a driver. UPROCP Read the process table token value. PPID Read process identification number. PSID Read process session identification number. TIME Read time in seconds. UCRED Return a pointer to the caller's credential structure. value_p A pointer to the data space in which the value of the parameter is to be copied. DESCRIPTION
Since the release of the Solaris 2.6 operating environment, the drv_getparm() function has been replaced by ddi_get_lbolt(9F), ddi_get_time(9F), and ddi_get_pid(9F). drv_getparm() function verifies that parm corresponds to a kernel parameter that may be read. If the value of parm does not correspond to a parameter or corresponds to a parameter that may not be read, -1 is returned. Otherwise, the value of the parameter is stored in the data space pointed to by value_p. drv_getparm() does not explicitly check to see whether the device has the appropriate context when the function is called and the function does not check for correct alignment in the data space pointed to by value_p. It is the responsibility of the driver writer to use this function only when it is appropriate to do so and to correctly declare the data space needed by the driver. RETURN VALUES
drv_getparm() returns 0 to indicate success, -1 to indicate failure. The value stored in the space pointed to by value_p is the value of the parameter if 0 is returned, or undefined if -1 is returned. -1 is returned if you specify a value other than LBOLT, PPGRP, PPID, PSID, TIME, UCRED, or UPROCP. Always check the return code when using this function. CONTEXT
drv_getparm() can be called from user context only when using PPGRP, PPID, PSID, UCRED, or UPROCP. It can be called from user or interrupt context when using the LBOLT or TIME argument. SEE ALSO
ddi_get_lbolt(9F), ddi_get_pid(9F), ddi_get_time(9F), buf(9S) Writing Device Drivers SunOS 5.10 24 Jun 1997 drv_getparm(9F)