Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Setting up a PXE Boot Server
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Setting up a PXE Boot Server Post 302207755 by ashayh on Friday 20th of June 2008 05:07:24 PM
Old 06-20-2008
Is this on LInux?

Are you using xinetd? If so, what are the "server args" for /etc/xinetd.d/tftp ?

If not, what is the "root" of the PXE server?

Is there a file called pxelinux.0 there?

And 192.168.0.6 is the DHCP server and is also the PXE server?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting num lock on at boot up

Once I knew how to set up a unix file so that the num lock would automatically be on after booting up. How exactly is that done? Unix has final control on the setting of the num lock from off or on to on at the end of the boot up process. Any help will be appreciated, especially if detailed. Oh... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jddxxx
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

PXE boot port issue

Hi,all: I want to boot an IA unix box from network, I am sure I set the DHCP and boot server, but it still failed ! It says : Client MAC Address: 00 18 FE 28 91 82 .....- PXE-E16: Valid PXE offer not received. Load of Core LAN Gb A failed: Not Found I use the nettl command to trace the UDP... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluepluto
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is PXE boot bare-metal

hi members i am reading RHEL and i am unable to under stand about PXE boot and bare metal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wagmare
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem setting up dual boot

Hi, I am trying to set up a dual boot system with Red Hat EL 5.2 and Windows XP Pro. I have a separate disk for each OS. Grub is on the same disk as redhat(the primary disk). I know that Windows is installed correctly because if I force a load on the secondary disk Windows loads correctly.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adawg1217
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PXE diskless boot fails

Hi, I am trying to setup a server for a diskless boot of a computer class (with ubuntu) I followed the guidelines in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DisklessUbuntuHowto I have two computers: one is the server I installed and the other is my macbook on which I run a virtual machine... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yotamhc
8 Replies

6. Boot Loaders

PXE boot not taking the init= option

Hi Experts, I am doing PXE boot for my GNU/Linux device and pxelinux.0 loads the kernel as well as initrd images I have mentioned in the config file but it looks like it is not considering the init= option. Instead it starts the default INIT program. I wanted my customized init program to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: learn more
3 Replies

7. Solaris

PXE boot problems in Solaris 10

Hi folks, I was trying to setup Network based NFS installation with PXE. I'm using virtual box for this purpose. I have one redhat (DHCP) server and Solaris 10 (Install server - Source) and on the other one am trying to install solaris using PXE. As in, dhcp address and boot file can be fetched... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaytrendz
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Interactive PXE Boot Menu

I have been asked to modify our PXE server such that there will be only one entry in the pxelinux.cfg/default file, where the same kernel and initrd.img will be used regardless of what operating system is to be installed, and the user will type in the path to the kickstart file that will be used. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ceb
7 Replies

9. Red Hat

pxe boot server

Hi Hoping someone can help ove setup a pxe/dhcp boot server for auto installs on centos My server seems to be providing dhcp fine but the installation fails to progress when it reaches the pxe boot menu. I make my selection and nothing happens. I am serving the media via http from the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duckeggs01
3 Replies

10. Linux

Problem in displaying message on RHEL6 on EFI during PXE boot

Hi, I am doing PXE boot for RHEL6.4 on EFI and want to display custom messsage before loading vmlinuz and initrd.img, which is not working. boot server side (In case of BIOS client): In /var/lib/tftpboot/default file I am putting the message in below format: SAY hello world boot... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: indus123
0 Replies
namepool(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						       namepool(4)

NAME
namepool - DHCP server database DESCRIPTION
The namepool database provides joind with names that are available for dynamic assignment to clients of the DHCP protocol. For each DHCP server and domain name (NIS or DNS), the database contains a collection of names available for allocation to DHCP clients within those domains. One name plays a distinguished role - it is used as a prefix when the pool has been exhausted. Names are generated from the pre- fix by appending a number, 1,2.., and a trailing 'd'. The namepool file is read whenever joind starts. Names within the database must not be allocated to hosts which are not DHCP clients, and if the administration of a domain is shared between several DHCP servers, the name- pools that each has must be disjoint. Names may be added and removed from the namepool file. If a name is removed from the file it remains bound to the client to which it was allocated; if no such binding is in effect the name is excised from the server's pool the next time the server starts. Once a name is dynamically bound to a host it will never be reused even if that host subsequently acquires a new name, but there is no need to remove it from namepool. FORMAT Blank lines and lines beginning with a number sign (#) are ignored. A new entry must begin in column one and has one of the following for- mats: domain server domain server name_prefix The domain variable is the domain in which the names which follow are assigned. The server variable is the name or IP address of the server in charge of allocating these names to clients. The prefix variable is the prefix that will be used when the pool is exhausted. Succeeding lines contain one or more names for domains that are to be allocated by the server. Each of these succeeding lines must begin with at least one white space character. FILES
/etc/join/namepool RELATED INFORMATION
joind(8), join.ipaddresses(4) delim off namepool(4)