Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell script for matching 2 files Post 302207650 by gholdbhurg on Friday 20th of June 2008 01:43:32 PM
Old 06-20-2008
Hi Sir Franklin,
Sincerely appreciate your response.
I actually have a little idea of how i want to go about this, but i just seem to have a hard time putting everything exactly in code.

I want to loop the File1 line by line (storing the 1st fields, i.e XYZ1234) then use this variable to search in File2, and then get the 5th field from that same equation.
Ex: grep XYZ1234 File2 | awk -F";" '{print $4}'
Then will append that output to the end of the 1st line in File1.
Same will be done for the rest of the lines in File1.

Thanks so much in advance.

Last edited by gholdbhurg; 06-20-2008 at 03:39 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

C shell script for time matching

Write a C shell script called greetings which will print out one of Good morning, Good afternoon or Good evening depending on the time of day. . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ringo
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

matching 3 patterns in shell script

IN a file I need to check for 3 patterns if all the 3 patterns are in the file. I need to send out an email. All this needs to be done in korn shell script. Please advise. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saibsk
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern matching in a shell script?

I'm looking for a way to match a particular string in another string and if a match is found execute some command. I found the case statement can be used like this; case word in ) command ;; ] ... esac If my string to find is say "foo" in the string $mystring... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paulobrad
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script pattern matching

Hi, I need to create a shell script through which i need to populate email addresses in email columns of database table in mysql. Let say if email contains yahoo, hotmail, gtalk than email addresses need to move in their respective columns. # !/bin/sh yim="example@yahoo.com"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirfan
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern matching in shell script

Hi, I am using following command to extract string from a file. String will be after last / (slash). awk -F\ / '{print $NF}' $FILE but while appending the output in file in script, it dosent work. File created but of zero size... can anyone please help `awk -F\\\/ '{print $NF}' $FILE` >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deei
3 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

shell script that can create, monitor the log files and report the issues for matching pattern

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write an automated shell program(s) that can create, monitor the log files and report the issues for matching... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: itian2010
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing matching text from multiple files with a shell script

Hello all, I am in need of assistance in creating a script that will remove a specified block of text from multiple .htaccess files. (roughly 1000 files) I am attempting to help with a project to clean up a linux server that has a series of unwanted url rewrites in place, as well as some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boxx
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me to find files in a shell script with any matching pattern

Hi friends.. I have many dirs in my working directory. Every dir have thousands of files (.jsp, .java, .xml..., etc). So I am working with an script to find every file recursively within those directories and subdirectories ending with .jsp or .java which contains inside of it, the the pattern... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hnux
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script matching similar records

hello all, I have requirement to identify similar records matching about 80% to 90%.I have to black list customers with multiple accounts. The data is in the Oracle Database, but is there any way I can get the data into flat file and compare the strings and fetch similar matching records? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashik786
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern matching and replace in shell script

Hi I want to find a line in a file which contains a word and replace the patterns. Sample file content temp.xml ==================== <applications> <application> Name="FirstService" location="http://my.website.selected/myfirstService/V1.0/myfirst.war" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sakthi.99it
1 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-k] [-q] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command ... is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD