Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Split a file based on pattern in awk, grep, sed or perl Post 302207477 by Franklin52 on Friday 20th of June 2008 04:02:55 AM
Old 06-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripat
With (g)awk

Code:
awk 'BEGIN{RS="\n?B"} (NR-1){print "B" $0 > ("output-file_" NR)}' input-file

Ripat, your solution doesn't give the desired output...

Try this:

Code:
awk '/^B/{close("file"f);f++}{print $0 > "file"f}' file

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a file with no pattern -- Split, Csplit, Awk

I have gone through all the threads in the forum and tested out different things. I am trying to split a 3GB file into multiple files. Some files are even larger than this. For example: split -l 3000000 filename.txt This is very slow and it splits the file with 3 million records in each... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split File Based on Line Number Pattern

Hello all. Sorry, I know this question is similar to many others, but I just can seem to put together exactly what I need. My file is tab delimitted and contains approximately 1 million rows. I would like to send lines 1,4,& 7 to a file. Lines 2, 5, & 8 to a second file. Lines 3, 6, & 9 to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankster
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file based on a pattern

Dear all, I have a large file which is composed of 8000 frames, what i would like to do is split the file into 8000 single files names file.pdb.1, file.pdb.2 etc etc each frame in the large file is seperated by a "ENDMDL" flag so my thinking is to use this flag a a point to split the files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mish_99
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to search multiple pattern in file with grep/sed/awk

Hello All, I have a file which is having below type of data, Jul 19 2011 | 123456 Jul 19 2011 | 123456 Jul 20 2011 | 123456 Jul 20 2011 | 123456 Here I wanted to grep for date pattern as below, so that it should only grep "Jul 20" OR "Jul ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get data from hex file using SED or AWK based on pattern sign

I have a binary (hex) file I need to parse to get some data which are encoded this way: .* b4 . . . 01 12 .* af .* 83 L1 x1 x2 xL 84 L2 y1 y2 yL By another words there is a stream of hexadecimal bytes (in my example separated by space for better readability). I need to get value stored in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameucho
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file based on pattern and size

Hello, I have a large file (2GB) that I would like to split based on pattern and size. I've used the following command to split the file (token is "HELLO") awk '/HELLO/{i++}{print > "file"i}' input.txt and the output is similar to the following (i included filesize in KB): 10 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split the file based on pattern

Hi , I have huge files around 400 mb, which has clob data and have diffeent scenarios: I am trying to pass scenario number as parameter and and get required modified file based on the scenario number and criteria. Scenario 1: file name : scenario_1.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split a file based on pattern line number?

Hi i have requirement like below M <form_name> sdasadasdMklkM D ...... D ..... M form_name> sdasadasdMklkM D ...... D ..... D ...... D ..... M form_name> sdasadasdMklkM D ...... M form_name> sdasadasdMklkM i want split file based on line number by finding... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar v
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk usage to grep a pattern 1 and with reference to this grep a pattern 2 and pattern 3

Hi , I have a file where i have modifed certain things compared to original file . The difference of the original file and modified file is as follows. # diff mir_lex.c.modified mir_lex.c.orig 3209c3209 < if(yy_current_buffer -> yy_is_our_buffer == 0) { --- >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: breezevinay
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Split one file to many based on pattern

Hello All, I have records in a file in a pattern A,B,B,B,B,K,A,B,B,K Is there any command or simple logic I can pull out records into multiple files based on A record? I want output as File1: A,B,B,B,B,K File2: A,B,B,K (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: deal1dealer
9 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)